Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Roof colour on No14

This picture of No14 in carmine and cream gives the impression that it had a silver roof at the time :-

http://www.totally-transport.co.uk/uploads/2/7/4/2/2742526/3439316_orig.jpg

Could have been a newly painted gloss grey catching the sunlight but if it was silver, that would be an interesting alteration to the Dapol model.

Later picture of No14 at Tysley shows a very dark roof.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/tyseley/shed/gwrt2368.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The roof in the first shot looks grey rather than silver to me. It looks the lighter shade of roof grey that was used during the Blood and Custard era.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1294.htm

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1809.htm

Those two shots seem to have different roof colour, one is very dark and matt and the other lighter and more satin like.

However It could just be the colour reproduction and lighting variations.

The second one looks like the photo has been doctored to show the bogie that is not in the original detail!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I would really like to help, but Dad's photos of the period are all black and white and these are the more angular sort! The caption says that they were in four different liveries - but it's difficult to tell in mono. My first bit of railway modelling, when I was about seven or eight was to make a railcar body out of cornflake packet card, to fit over our first loco, a Gaiety pannier tank, with a Triang 0-6-0 chassis underneath. No photo of that masterpiece I am afraid.

post-14351-0-65577500-1484589341_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would really like to help, but Dad's photos of the period are all black and white and these are the more angular sort! The caption says that they were in four different liveries - but it's difficult to tell in mono. My first bit of railway modelling, when I was about seven of eight was to make a railcar body out of cornflake packet card, to fit over our first loco, a Gaiety pannier tank, with a Triang 0-6-0 chassis underneath. No photo of that masterpiece I am afraid.

attachicon.gifFour GWR diesel railcars Worcester 11 1962.jpg

I think the first two are in DMU green as there AFAIK was no other scheme with speed whiskers.

The other liveries I remember were all Maroon and red & cream.

BTW I think there is a 5th one right at the back.

Those white roof fronts were either later grey or so dirty they looked grey!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I think the first two are in DMU green as there AFAIK was no other scheme with speed whiskers.

The other liveries I remember were all Maroon and red & cream.

BTW I think there is a 5th one right at the back.

Those white roof fronts were either later grey or so dirty they looked grey!

Keith

From memory some of the razor-edge style rail-cars had a grey roof with white ends and other members of the class had an all grey roof.  I thought I had a list but (as is the way of things) I can't find it at the moment. I have a feeling that W22W (which was done by Graham Farish in green with white roof ends) had an all-grey roof.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With the class 68 now delivered along with the O gauge 08, does that mean the Gwr streamlined railcar has reached the front of the queue in the 'erecting shop'?

I believe Dapol are attending a show in Scotland this week and so it would be nice to hear of progress as I understand the last livery sample was returned for some changes. If anyone has news or photos and particularly anticipated completion dates these would be welcome as news here and on the digest has been a little thin recently. Unfortunately I can't got to any show in Scotland this week.

Thanks for any postings in advance.

With the class 68 now delivered along with the O gauge 08, does that mean the Gwr streamlined railcar has reached the front of the queue in the 'erecting shop'?

I believe Dapol are attending a show in Scotland this week and so it would be nice to hear of progress as I understand the last livery sample was returned for some changes. If anyone has news or photos and particularly anticipated completion dates these would be welcome as news here and on the digest has been a little thin recently. Unfortunately I can't got to any show in Scotland this week.

Thanks for any postings in advance.

Gaugemaster get a two month ahead list of Dapol model releases, which they put in their website, currently it's the Feb/March list. From this the next 'oo' gauge new tooling releases are the Freightliner MJA twin box bogie wagons, said to be February release and the Class 122 diesel railcar in multiple liveries for March, both of these must be in production/shipping if they are to be released in the next month. Dapol advised on their digest that the Class 121 diesel railcar was about 3 months behind the Class 122, so I would expect that next. The GWR railcar appears to have been delayed as Dapol have rejected both the first and revised livery samples, according to the Dapol digest. The second versions were advised to be better and Dapol were requesting some changes. That advice was in early December and no update since.

Available between May and June this year according to a Hatton's email I received.

Thanks Robin, the twin crest version (No. 8) (4D-011-004) is listed as well here. That one will be my choice.

There was some confusion between the original announcement and what now appears to be the production plan. Some retailer websites do not yet include -004.

I wish manufacturers and retailers were a little clearer about GWR liveries. "Monogram" makes me think not of the roundel/shirtbutton, but the entwined GWR script of the Dean/early Churchward timeframe. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dapol website appears un-helpful regarding potential delivery dates. This was supposed to be my christmas present to myself 2015.

Any chance 2017,18,19,20? I should live that long.I thaat am seriously thinking about cancelling the order, even though I have waited paatiently for a long,long time. It is not the delay I find annoying its the total lack of information coming from Dapol which really give the impression that customers or potential customers are not worth the bother, come on Dapol get it together please.

Dapol website appears un-helpful regarding potential delivery dates. This was supposed to be my christmas present to myself 2015.

Any chance 2017,18,19,20? I should live that long.I thaat am seriously thinking about cancelling the order, even though I have waited paatiently for a long,long time. It is not the delay I find annoying its the total lack of information coming from Dapol which really give the impression that customers or potential customers are not worth the bother, come on Dapol get it together please.

The Dapol website clearly states that the model will be in production in April/May 2017. Delivery to the UK takes roughly 2 months. So by July you should have your model. How was that unhelpful? All the info is on their website.

You can always cancel your pre-order if you've lost all your patience, but when it comes out, if it's an excellent model it may fly off the shelves and you might not have one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why not join their digest where you can ask questions directly? They are actually pretty good at communicating through their chosen route.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Why not join their digest where you can ask questions directly? They are actually pretty good at communicating through their chosen route.

The problem is that you have to stumble onto the digest. Once there, yes, there is useful information. It's just not obvious from their main pages that you will find good stuff there direct from the company.

Their communication with retailers is confusing as well.  My preferred retailer loaded their website with the initial proposed offerings for pre-ordering. These don't match what it appears (from the digest thread) that Dapol will deliver. The retailer was waiting for further details from Dapol before updating their website.

Roy

Actually I did some time ago and even that I find un-helpful, it appears that even Dapol themselves are in the dark over acurate information.

I have to agree. Their communications seem poor although to be fair and balanced the Dapol exhibition staff are always knowledgeable and willing to share the latest news. It's a shame that marketing information and progress information can't be disseminated to those who can't make the shows.

I am not going to get into discussing the Digest but find it of little help but Dapol have chosen their style of updates and it satisfies the many it seems.

Returning to topic the Dapol website suggests Q3 for delivery for these railcars but the last I saw was the last decorated sample still required some changes.

I'm sure they are progressing out of the limelight but it would be nice for a little teaser to whet the appetite. I was slightly concerned for Dapol's welfare following their recent announcement but my trade contacts seem to understand they have steadied the ship.

I'm very much looking forward to these and unless they make a huge error which is hopefully unlikely I'll be buying at least one but am hopeful their is a natural progression to produce No 17 - hint, hint!!!! I can wait but perhaps one of the exclusive box shifters can help here as for us GWR aficionados these are one of the missing links in our stock roster.

Seem to re call emailing Dapol with a question re railcar couple of months back and got a surprisingly quick response.......effectively same day to you in the UK (overnight to me)
Probably find they update things as they have time rather than as soon as they know.

Khris

Joel at Dapol put this on the Digest on the 11th:-

"Hi Alan, Due to livery corrections, I think this has slipped a touch and now production is scheduled for the end of this month and delivery in July. My apologies."

Just right. One tends to forget delay once it’s over and even price once it’s paid but a flaw is always there. That is not to encourage Dapol to raise prices more than necessary – if the price is high, we might not buy in the first place.