Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Oh dear, Railcar 7 was a different bodyshell design to the others. vehicles 5-7 had a different nose with the handrails just under the cab windows and the bodyside lining adjusted to match. As you can see in this 1956 shot, the lower body panel rises up at the nose to almost touch the windscreen.

GWR_railcar_at_Oxford_-_geograph.org.uk_

Compare this to the railcar 14 from the later series and you can see that the separation between the chocolate and the cream is horizontal all the way round. There is a large area of cream beneath the windscreen.

3439316_orig.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

Oh dear, Railcar 7 was a different bodyshell design to the others. vehicles 5-7 had a different nose with the handrails just under the cab windows and the bodyside lining adjusted to match. As you can see in this 1956 shot, the lower body panel rises up at the nose to almost touch the windscreen.

There certainly were differences under the skin between the 1935 and 1936 batches, but the visual difference that you've pointed out is, AFAIK, only cosmetic. It is simply that the beading on 5-7 sweeps up to the centre of the front windows whereas that on 8-17 is straight. The painting reflects this and, possibly, it may reflect a difference in panel shapes. Of course, if the model has only the straight beading then you're right that it will be wrong for No 7 (or vice versa).

The handrails are irrelevant as neither group had these fitted when built. The handrails and footsteps were added some time later. The earliest example of these that I've seen is in a 1939 photo of parcels car No 17.

Nick

Thanks for the photos.

One thing that I have always wondered about these railcars is why do they not have buffers?

I believe that they were run together on occasion, and No.22 (as preserved) has buffers.

What was the rationale for no buffers?  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos.

One thing that I have always wondered about these railcars is why do they not have buffers?

I believe that they were run together on occasion, and No.22 (as preserved) has buffers.

I believe that (like most of the later BR diesel railbuses) they were intended for services where traffic levels were such that no strengthening of the service was considered necessary. I believe it was a different batch that had buffers, and these were originally designed to work as 2 car sets, some of which subsequently saw modified ordinary coaches marshalled in the middle with through wiring to make 3 car sets.

Thanks for the photos.

None of the early ones (up to No 17) were intended to pull tail traffic*, nor were they coupled together. No 18 was fitted with buffers and regularly hauled horse boxes, etc. on the Lambourn branch. Subsequently, the ones with flat panels (19-38) were all built with buffers and did often run in pairs or with a trailing coach or van.

Nick

* those up to No 17 were fitted with a vestigial form of buffer, just a pin without any head. You can see these clearly on Karhedron's second photo above. They provided some protection if they came into contact with stop blocks or other vehicles, but were not intended to act as buffers in normal use.

Edited by buffalo

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update on this project....

However, if they are at final CAD/CAM stage, I would suggest a release into 2016 might be more realistic - 3rd Quarter 2015 might be a bit ambitious.

Clearly I am not a manufacturer, just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I keep a regular eye on the Dapol Product Development pages and there is a glimmer of good news to report in that the GW Railcar has been updated to say "In tooling Now". The page is still reporting delivery in 3rd Quarter 2015. I read the update as progress at the very least..... If anyone has better information it would of course be welcome!!! 

• RMweb Gold

I keep a regular eye on the Dapol Product Development pages and there is a glimmer of good news to report in that the GW Railcar has been updated to say "In tooling Now". The page is still reporting delivery in 3rd Quarter 2015. I read the update as progress at the very least..... If anyone has better information it would of course be welcome!!! 

Well we don't know where they are in the tooling process but I would still think the back end of 2015 is a trifle on the optimistic side even if everything goes exactly right.  Does anyone know if they managed to get the CADs right before tooling started?

The small CAD picture showing on their product development site is the same as the one with the wrong shaped end passenger windows, being rectangular instead of having sloping sections and sliding door windows in the wrong place. They did acknowledge the points that myself and Karhedron made on their Facebook site so can only hope they've amended the CADs - time will tell.

• 3 months later...

Had an email today from an online retailer suggesting these will be available from October to December 2015.Price £102.

I also had this e-mail, however I'm very sceptical and think Dapol are being very optimistic with the suggested delivery. They had the Class 73 tooling early samples  shown late last year, yet they are still working on livery samples, and the model hasn't been approved for production ,so that model will be lucky to be ready before October or November. Dapol have yet to show tooling samples for the Railcar so is the 3-4 month window likely. I suspect the Railcar won't be with us till mid 2016, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong. I also want to see engineering samples to see if they have corrected the end window and door window errors in the original Cad/Cams. They also told me by e-mail that the 121 and 122 railcars were planned for release in late 2015, can't see that happening either. Happy to wait for the models, but I wish Dapol would be more realistic with their release timescale information, if it's come from them, which I assume it has

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Premium

I think Dapol have a bit of a credibility problem with release schedule info. We have just had the case that they announced that the new OO Class 73's were going to be released in July when they were still at the point of signing off final livery samples. Clearly all of the manufacturers suffer slippage and Dapol are not unique in suffering delay after delay to products but in their case some of the info they release seems hopelessly optimistic and for them to tell the world a model was about to hit the shops when they'd not signed off on the livery samples was very disappointing.

Edited by jjb1970

• 1 month later...

Whilst on the subject of GWR railcars, some months ago i saw a photo of a GWR railcar set at Derby. From memory it was a two car unit with a GWR coach in the middle. I am guessing it was some kind of special train or railtour.

Does anyone else recall this image ?

Not that one but I think I have found a shot of the set at Landor Street which was the other end of that railtour.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p190563228/h55232df8#h55232df8

• Like 1

Dapol have updated their site to suggest that these models will not be available until 2nd Quarter 2016 (was 3rd Quarter 2015).

4D-011-000 Streamlined  Railcar No 7 Chocolate & Cream GWR Monogram Evaluating First Shots 2nd Quarter 2016          

4D-011-001 Streamlined Railcar No 12 Chocolate & Cream GWR Monogram Evaluating First Shots 2nd Quarter 2016          

4D-011-002 Streamlined Railcar BR Lined Chocolate & Cream W10 Evaluating First Shots 2nd Quarter 2016          

4D-011-003 Streamlined Railcar BR Lined Carmine & Cream W14 Evaluating First Shots 2nd  Quarter 2016

Edited by KGV

That's disappointing but not unexpected. Dapol seem to have a real problem where predicting deliveries is concerned, particularly for OO gauge stock - the class 73 being a classic example. I don't want or need a 73 but the whole set of events led me to expect the railcars being delayed. Lord only knows when the B4 will appear!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Don't have enough knowledge to judge but here it is on the Dapol stand taken from the Warley thread with thanks.

Yes a credit to Edge for the photo.

post-126-46051_thumb.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

I'm not a GWR modeller, but if Dapol deliver a well made crisp looking product, I will definitely add one to my collection, even if there are accuracy issues. It's such an iconic looking vehicle, almost 'steampunk' like, and so different to anything else in my collection. The look of a model and quality of manufacture has always been more important to me than any perceived accuracy problems the experts may get upset about.

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

On Sunday afternoon  railcar was having a run on the Dapol display layout - a good turn of speed and a heavy model - lighting working as well.  Really hope the boss will allow  a bit of shrink to fit for a RTR N gauge...

And of course "nice shoes."

I think Dapol had a good show if the transit van full of packing cases/ cardboard neatly piled in hall, certainly the O gauge flew off the shelves- on the Sunday only a few wagons left.    

Robert