Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

• RMweb Gold

It seems like a good model in many ways, and if the livery is got right, then I will purchase a car in pre war livery.

Regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

Very true but is this being manufactured in China or UK? With Dapol's new production facility there is no suggestion from where. Not keen on this being the Guinea pig for new models if the new machine is being used.

Very true but is this being manufactured in China or UK? With Dapol's new production facility there is no suggestion from where. Not keen on this being the Guinea pig for new models if the new machine is being used.

China... Dapol has no new production facility, they only have a new injection moulding machine.

July delivery for a model not yet in production would be an amazing feat of achievement. 

I'll be up for one of the GWR machines if the livery application is good. Such an unusual and iconic looking vehicle.

There is something known as air-freighting goods which is usually done on many occasions.

China... Dapol has no new production facility, they only have a new injection moulding machine.

I'm not referring to this instance but aren't Dapol looking at moving production back to the UK?

I'm sure I read it not long ago.

Khris

I'm not referring to this instance but aren't Dapol looking at moving production back to the UK?

Khris

Your exact words were - Very true but is this being manufactured in China or UK? With Dapol's new production facility there is no suggestion from where. That basically refers to this instance since the entire conversation is revolving around the models manufacture and delivery times.

Also they said they are looking into it (bringing production back), there was nothing concrete. And if they do it's still a couple of years away at the least.

• RMweb Gold

Khris

Only some of it, as I understood the report; and it wasn't clearly specified what scales or part(s) of their output would be involved.

No definite timescale was given either, but the impression was years (though perhaps not many) rather than months.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Your exact words were - Very true but is this being manufactured in China or UK? With Dapol's new production facility there is no suggestion from where. That basically refers to this instance since the entire conversation is revolving around the models manufacture and delivery times.

Also they said they are looking into it (bringing production back), there was nothing concrete. And if they do it's still a couple of years away at the least.

I think you may have some of your quotes mixed up!

Khris

Still hoping that an N Gauge version emerges eventually.

I said the same thing to either Neil or Andy from Dapol when I was at Warley last year. Maybe, hopefully, if enough people say the same they will feel confident enough to put it through the shrink ray.

Strange comment.  Logically, if 'the new machine is being used', one model or another has to constitute the first production run (the Guinea pig, in your words), so why not this one?

For us, the consumers, quality control before sale is what matters, not the use or otherwise of any particular machine! Besides, Dapol has been in the business long enough to know what it is doing...

• RMweb Gold

Strange comment.  Logically, if 'the new machine is being used', one model or another has to constitute the first production run (the Guinea pig, in your words), so why not this one?

For us, the consumers, quality control before sale is what matters, not the use or otherwise of any particular machine! Besides, Dapol has been in the business long enough to know what it is doing...

Quite right....although there are those somewhat jaundiced by their experiences with the Class 73 who might not agree with your closing words......... :jester:

• Like 1

It will be a surprise if the 00 version ever comes out so a N version has to be a total pipe dream.

As a by the way any news yet on Kernows steam railcar 2027 I guess.

I think you're being unrealistically negative about the 'oo' gauge railcar. Dapol have spent thousands already on the tooling. We know they have developed the tooling as they have shown engineering prototypes. They would not have invested in the tooling and then decided not to go ahead. We also know that the painting samples have had to be changed, and its good that Dapol are putting the effort in to ensure the livery finish is realistic. We also know that within the recent planned model review, this model wasn't cancelled or deferred.

It's likely that the chassis drive system has been developed alongside the Class 122 and 121 railcars, which have a similar chassis spec. Those also have tooling produced with engineering and livery samples shown. We also know that Dapol intend to release the Class 122 first, and that model is probably in transit from China, as it's scheduled for a May/June release. The Class 121 is still having livery samples refined, as Hattons have advised that they have just received the latest livery samples of their special version 121s. So the likely release order is 122, GWR Railcar, 121. While a July release is likely to be a bit optimistic, I would expect it to be here before Warley.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

Hence th

Quite right....although there are those somewhat jaundiced by their experiences with the Class 73 who might not agree with your closing words......... :jester:

Hence the three dots at the end - but I retain an open mind on such things!

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1

It will be a surprise if the 00 version ever comes out so a N version has to be a total pipe dream.

Do you have an solid evidence to support such a silly negative remark? The N gauge version failed a crowd-funding venture IIRC, that's quite possibly a no-go, but from where do you get such news about the OO gauge version?

• RMweb Gold

Do you have an solid evidence to support such a silly negative remark? The N gauge version failed a crowd-funding venture IIRC, that's quite possibly a no-go, but from where do you get such news about the OO gauge version?

Just remember some people spout utter rubbish on here with no basis whatsoever. The DJ 71 is vapourware if I recall correctly.

Roy

Just remember some people spout utter rubbish on here with no basis whatsoever. The DJ 71 is vapourware if I recall correctly.

Roy

If the DJM Class 71 is "vapourwear" does that make it an electric kettle?

On a slightly more serious note, do any resident GWR experts know if the prototype of the Dapol model was fitted with the same engine and transmission as the operational GWR railcar at Didcot to the later bodystyle?  I'm curious because it would be nice if one of the sound chip suppliers could source some authentic noises from Didcot for the model.  I intend to get one in BR livery for the "Dolgellau" layout for special excursion runs (they never ran in normal service through the town) and I'm trying to get DCC sound wherever possible as the normals love trains that make a noise, and I just thought it would be good if the noises were at least authentic!

• Like 1

On a slightly more serious note, do any resident GWR experts know if the prototype of the Dapol model was fitted with the same engine and transmission as the operational GWR railcar at Didcot to the later bodystyle?

No, the later angular railcars had slightly larger engines than the streamlined versions and were geared for a lower top speed.

Maybe I should have said it will be a surprise when it comes out, frustration is a funny thing.

The DJ 71 is vapourware if I recall correctly.

That will be the sort of vapourware that started to be delivered last month, that mine arrived last week and that I fitted a sound decoder on Sunday.

You are right "Just remember some people spout utter rubbish on here with no basis whatsoever". Unfortunately at the moment you are one of those people :)

Luke, very happy with his weathered DJModels 71

That will be the sort of vapourware that started to be delivered last month, that mine arrived last week and that I fitted a sound decoder on Sunday.

You are right "Just remember some people spout utter rubbish on here with no basis whatsoever". Unfortunately at the moment you are one of those people :)

Luke, very happy with his weathered DJModels 71

I think you missed the point, The 71 (and other DJM projects) was slated as 'vapourware' - and yet here it is  was the point Roy was making.      Glad you like yours, as do I.