Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Are there descriptions of the three different GWR ones somewhere? (I have such a hard time finding anything about new releases on the Dapol website.)

It's hard to make out but does the middle one have the Bristol/London shields?

EDIT: I guess the answers are here.

White roof,(roundel) No 11.

Grey roof (shields) No 8

Dark roof W10

Compared to others, this stuff is hard to find.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody (including Dapol) have any idea when these will appear, they have now passed the previous waiting for order time, held for many years by Hornbys Tintagel Castle, but at least at the time Simon Kohler was apologetic, nothing from you Dapol bad form in my opinion.

Alan Tewson (waiting not so patiently in a Bavarian beer Garden)

Does anybody (including Dapol) have any idea when these will appear, they have now passed the previous waiting for order time, held for many years by Hornbys Tintagel Castle, but at least at the time Simon Kohler was apologetic, nothing from you Dapol bad form in my opinion.

Join the real world queue......it is the accepted system, which some modellers say we should be grateful for...it appears the Chinese do us favours in some way in making the items...basically they have us over a barrel, and the makers voted for it just to save paying for factories in the UK. It's small batch production runs, as and when they get around to production, a rush of supplies, which dry up and then are unavailable along with poorer spares.

Dapol are a nice company, but do tend to have a blind spot to communication or running a decent web site.....and all said and done if they reported the progress of the Chinese on week by week basis, it would rival watching paint dry....

Stephen

• Like 2

I don't think Dapol are much worse than the others on announcement fronts, there just hasn't been much to announce on this since the EP was displayed at Ally Pally. They had their open day a few weeks ago but the painted samples have not arrived yet so not much to report. Dapol don't seem to have much of a presence on RMWeb anymore, preferring to make their announcements on their own digest site.

Join the real world queue......it is the accepted system, which some modellers say we should be grateful for...it appears the Chinese do us favours in some way in making the items...basically they have us over a barrel, and the makers voted for it just to save paying for factories in the UK. It's small batch production runs, as and when they get around to production, a rush of supplies, which dry up and then are unavailable along with poorer spares.

Dapol are a nice company, but do tend to have a blind spot to communication or running a decent web site.....and all said and done if they reported the progress of the Chinese on week by week basis, it would rival watching paint dry....

Stephen

it would be nice if they could report the progress of the Chinese on a year to year basis, let alone week to week.

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I don't think Dapol are much worse than the others on announcement fronts, there just hasn't been much to announce on this since the EP was displayed at Ally Pally. They had their open day a few weeks ago but the painted samples have not arrived yet so not much to report. Dapol don't seem to have much of a presence on RMWeb anymore, preferring to make their announcements on their own digest site.

I can understand them not wanting to have much presence on RMWeb. But surely a missed opportunity not to have a thread which highlights when their own site has an update.

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised he has time to worry about railcars during October in Bavaria.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised he has time to worry about railcars during October in Bavaria.

Actually although it is called Oktoberfest it is held in September. However beer is available all year so it just helps to ease the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my igorance but can someone explain me to me the meaning of 'Twin Cities' in relation to the Dapol model 4D-011-004 Streamlined Railcar 8 in GWR lined chocolate and cream please? Neither me or my friend have ever heard of the phrase 'Twin Cities' being used before...

• RMweb Gold

Forgive my igorance but can someone explain me to me the meaning of 'Twin Cities' in relation to the Dapol model 4D-011-004 Streamlined Railcar 8 in GWR lined chocolate and cream please? Neither me or my friend have ever heard of the phrase 'Twin Cities' being used before...

It might mean the crest of the GWR featuring London and Bristol.

• Like 1

It might mean the crest of the GWR featuring London and Bristol.

Yes, this was the Coat of Arms which replaced the earlier "Shirtbutton" emblem from 1942 onwards. It was also used from 1928-1934 but this was before most Railcars were introduced (although it was carried by Railcar 1 when first delivered).

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoat.html

trains119-620x413.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From Warley today in their cabinet. Is it just me or do the colours of the blood n custard look a bit garish? (More than usual for that livery!). Apols for pic quality - it was a bit cramped on their stall and was backing on the the black label stuff

Davidpost-22698-0-05644700-1480192529_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

something doesnt look quite right with the brown on the chocolate and cream one either, though it is harder to tell from a photo.  its no where near rich enough.

(but not nearly as bad as the BR unit!) 

Hopefully as they are preproduction samples it should be fixed, but then this is Dapol and they dont exactly have a record for getting colours right...

• RMweb Gold

Having just returned from the show yesterday, the lighting was far from ideal to be making critical decisions about accuracy. Mike Wiltshire

Well the coaches on the other side of the stand were ok so blaming the lights for the garish colour doesn't explain it as it was identical lighting. I had a close look and both looked wrong colour wise, as above I'd want to see a final colour sample before ordering.

From Warley today in their cabinet. Is it just me or do the colours of the blood n custard look a bit garish? (More than usual for that livery!). Apols for pic quality - it was a bit cramped on their stall and was backing on the the black label stuff

Davidattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I had a chat with Joel about these.  All three livery samples were rejected and are being re-done. Everyone who ASKED was told that.

Les

It seems they were on the stand because these are the only liveried prototypes available.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It would have made sense to put a note in the cabinet when they were so busy not everyone could talk to them, I'd already battled through once so decided to wait to see the press rather than join the queue again ;)

Glad to hear it thanks and I'll look forward to the final samples as I said above as I do fancy one ;)

• RMweb Gold

I had a chat with Joel about these.  All three livery samples were rejected and are being re-done. Everyone who ASKED was told that.

Les

It seems they were on the stand because these are the only liveried prototypes available.

If they had been rejected all the more reason not to display them.

As far as asking is concerned it's a bit difficult when you are 100+ miles away. Then you have to rely on what gets posted.

• Like 1

If they had been rejected all the more reason not to display them.

No, not necessarily.

People would still want to see that model.

You only have to look at the Dean Goods thread to see all the comments on what is right/wrong with the model, without talking about the colour scheme!

Isn't it a good idea to say what is wrong with the colours, rather than just saying they are awful? In fact, to my eye the carmine on the  blood and custard one looked pretty good but the cream is too dark. There's at least one Colour-Rail slide that shows just how garish an ex-works car in this livery was. (CJL)