Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Although I never got to ride on it, I remember the car-mobile well, At the time I was working at weekends as a volunteer with the WVRS and it was parked in the goods shed whenever I was there! We always had problems with the local youths who delighted in undoing all our weekends hard work in rigging telephone cables and other maintenance works. We used to go out on a little cart (not sure what you call them) and often got as far as Brasted station. I still have a whole pile of old waybills from the station loft.  One day, we were returning and the youths had put stones on the track just outside Westerham to try to derail us. I put on the brake too sharply and was then banned from the brake job even though I felt I had saved us all from a worse fate! Happy days...

I am currently modelling Westerham and Dunton Green stations (loosely due to space restrictions) in N gauge at the moment and your Westerham model is a great sourse of inspiration.

Hi Glynn, thanks for your post, on page  120 of the Westerham Valley Railway book by David Gould are a couple of pictures one of some young volunteers clearing the ash pit at Westerham with that little truck. and another one at Brasted Station of some more volunteers laying telephone cables (maybe you in the pictures?), I can pm the pics if you haven't seen them. All the best Adrian

As promised, from theDover Library...........

If you can browse a your library......? May have pics of interest..........

Certainly 1st, has plans......of wooden buildings etc.

post-13585-0-86951300-1400497979_thumb.jpg

post-13585-0-93279500-1400497983_thumb.jpg

post-13585-0-23124200-1400497988_thumb.jpg

................... :drag: .................

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As promised, from theDover Library...........

If you can browse a your library......? May have pics of interest..........

Certainly 1st, has plans......of wooden buildings etc.

attachicon.gifP1110383(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1110384(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1110385(1).JPG

................... :drag: .................

Hi David, Many thanks for that, i will be up go to the library and see if i can get a copy, thats if it hasn't been closed down in council cut backs, all the best adrian 

There's always Dunton Green to build!!

Do agree that the Brasted building is superb.

Ian

It's a shame there are not many useful photographs available of Dunton Green. I am modelling it at the moment in 'N' gauge and although I have found a lot of pics in various places, nothing really shows the relationship between the main station building and the Westerham branch waiting room so I am going to have to improvise! If anyone knows where I can find pics please let me know...

Hi Glynn, thanks for your post, on page  120 of the Westerham Valley Railway book by David Gould are a couple of pictures one of some young volunteers clearing the ash pit at Westerham with that little truck. and another one at Brasted Station of some more volunteers laying telephone cables (maybe you in the pictures?), I can pm the pics if you haven't seen them. All the best Adrian

Yes, I know the photographs you mean. but I am sorry to say I don't think I was in either photo - probably still in disgrace from putting on the brakes too sharply on the handcart to avoid running over the stones the yobs had kindly placed on the track..

Hi BigHerb, thanks for your reply, it seems that information on the goods yard is going to be difficult to find after all this time. all the best Adrian

I found a good picture of the store van at Brasted - hope this is of use post-19377-0-84623900-1400554769.jpg

• Like 1

According to the closure documents in 1960 the line's coal merchants were:

Westerham - South Suburban Co-operative Society

Brasted - Mr Bowser - though he may have traded under a different name

I think you will find this was Geo.Bowser & Sons who had their yard at Westerham. In common with many other coal merchants, they had another string to their bow, coaches, and traded as Westerham Coaches for many years until selling out to Skinners of Oxted.

• Like 1

It's a shame there are not many useful photographs available of Dunton Green. I am modelling it at the moment in 'N' gauge and although I have found a lot of pics in various places, nothing really shows the relationship between the main station building and the Westerham branch waiting room so I am going to have to improvise! If anyone knows where I can find pics please let me know...

In The Southern Country Sations book, I posted 

post-13585-0-86951300-1400497979_thumb.j

On page 18,it gives, both side elevation's, both end elivation's and a room plan, with measurement's, for Westerham Station.

The text with the plan,imply's, Drawing depict's structure as built,..Subsequently  extend slightly at Dunton Green.

No photo's of D.G. though...........

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Gold

The Mystery Shed at Brasted, a tale of corrugated iron and a coffee stirrer.

As I mentioned in a previous post the only information about this little shed is it's position on a plan of the goods yard at Brasted, and a shadowy picture of the back of the shed. This is my version of what may have been there, it will be made from slaters corrugated plasicard mounted onto card, and the good old coffee stirrer for the timber frame. The edges of the roof have been thinned and the corrugations dressed with a file just to distress them a bit. doors are a single piece of plasticard with some microstrip for the ledge and brace with the hinges made from the same strip cut down to make it narrower. here are some pictures of progress so far.

post-17489-0-38466000-1400592111_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-10210600-1400592129_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-58597200-1400592147_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-43929100-1400592170_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-48769000-1400592190_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-90290400-1400592209_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-72134600-1400592231_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-65652000-1400592250_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That looks good, coming along nicely.

If you'll forgive an impertinence, you mention dressing the bottom edges of the corrugated sheets: when I built the corrugated office for my goods shed, I cut away bits of the bottom of the corrugated sheets to give the impression of rust and decay, like this:

post-17302-0-47046100-1400593390_thumb.jpg

Which when painted in suitable rusty colours, looks like this:

post-17302-0-07566600-1400593388_thumb.jpg

I think it works quite well.

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That looks good, coming along nicely.

If you'll forgive an impertinence, you mention dressing the bottom edges of the corrugated sheets: when I built the corrugated office for my goods shed, I cut away bits of the bottom of the corrugated sheets to give the impression of rust and decay, like this:

attachicon.gifpost-17302-0-24820400-1372972638.jpg

Which when painted in suitable rusty colours, looks like this:

attachicon.gifpost-17302-0-01706200-1373057236.jpg

I think it works quite well.

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it.

Cheers,

Al.

Hi Al,Thank you for your impertinence it's duly noted and the boys will be round to see you later :triniti: all the best Adrian 

• RMweb Gold

In Chris Gammell's "The Branch Line Age", published by Moorland in 1976, there is a John Smallwood photo taken on the up main platform, under the shelter, showing a double door with sign "Westerham Branch Trains", which implies a passageway - possibly covered? - between the two platforms. The footbridge is visible immediately beyond the end of the shelter. My other C Gammell album, "Southern Branch Lines 1955-1965", OPC, and also 1976, has on the cover a classic Dunton Green pic showing the branch train ready to depart, with the photographer standing on the "wrong" side of the tracks, rather than on the platform! That would have been typical Gammell. He and JAV Smallwood were friends and colleagues, which is why I'm fairly certain my late wife typed the original manuscript for the OPC book.

My Westerham knowledge has also been enhanced looking through a couple of other books just now - and finding a pic of a West Country leaving the terminus with 11 on in 1957......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In Chris Gammell's "The Branch Line Age", published by Moorland in 1976, there is a John Smallwood photo taken on the up main platform, under the shelter, showing a double door with sign "Westerham Branch Trains", which implies a passageway - possibly covered? - between the two platforms. The footbridge is visible immediately beyond the end of the shelter. My other C Gammell album, "Southern Branch Lines 1955-1965", OPC, and also 1976, has on the cover a classic Dunton Green pic showing the branch train ready to depart, with the photographer standing on the "wrong" side of the tracks, rather than on the platform! That would have been typical Gammell. He and JAV Smallwood were friends and colleagues, which is why I'm fairly certain my late wife typed the original manuscript for the OPC book.

My Westerham knowledge has also been enhanced looking through a couple of other books just now - and finding a pic of a West Country leaving the terminus with 11 on in 1957......

Hi, Oldddudders, Dunton Green Station used to be connected to the Westerham branch platform by means of a covered passageway which could be very draughty, at one time there used to be an aerial ropeway connected to the signal cabin to enable the transfer of the tablet for the Westerham Branch to be exchanged.The locomotive to which you refer was class D1 No31487 Ilfracombe and was a special put on for the Ideal Homes exibitition at Kensington Olympia, what a good excuse to run that on my layout. thanks for following all the best Adrian

• RMweb Gold

The locomotive to which you refer was class D1 No31487 Ilfracombe and was a special put on for the Ideal Homes exibitition at Kensington Olympia, what a good excuse to run that on my layout. thanks for following all the best Adrian

Er, 34017, a West Country pacific. Yes, it would look good, and that class was built with lighter lines in mind, famously working to Padstow etc.

• RMweb Gold

Er, 34017, a West Country pacific. Yes, it would look good, and that class was built with lighter lines in mind, famously working to Padstow etc.

Yes you are quite right, in the book that I took the reference from, the text says 31487, but the photo shows 34017. just goes to show that what you read and what you see may not be the same two things, thanks for the correction. Adrian :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The painters have been out today and have given the old shed some much needed paint, I left instructions with the yard lad that I wanted  Green No3a and stone No1a.  When I got back from having a few pints down the road, the shed was painted but not in the colours I had asked for, I asked the lad what had happened to my paint scheme apparently the words arty farty were mentioned and who does he think he is b*** Van gough. We only do grey primer from a rattle can, and light grey, rust, and some white enamel, and we bung it all on at once while it's wet, then just as it's drying give it a rub with a cotton bud, we thin all the paint with white spirit so that it runs all over the place, so if you have got a problem with that lad we are off times money. So what could he say he mumbled do what you think is best and ran off and hid till the painters had finished. Here is the result. Me I'm back down the pub to paint some sunflowers.

post-17489-0-18538400-1400697695_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-64230400-1400697714_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-57763600-1400697737_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-70645500-1400697758_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-29682300-1400697773_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-08908400-1400697789_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-43264200-1400697813_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-76103200-1400697831_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've never worked that out   ....     :scratchhead:

They should be hinge side at the bottom with the top latch side

............    the way you have it - the weight of the door acting on the Brace pulls the vertical planks together   .......    the way it should be - the weight of the door tends to spread the planks apart  .....    :O

...   perhaps you should leave them as they are and we could wait to see whether the doors deteriorate, over time   .........     :angel:

• RMweb Gold

Please Stand Clear Of The Doors.

As a matter of Health and Safety, Bodgit and Scarper the company that supplied the doors have been contacted, and assure me that they will send someone round in the not to distant future to carry out any remedial works required to ensure that the doors are safe and will not self destruct due to the impossible loads imposed on the frame and hinges due to their complete lack of understanding of stress and loading that may be occuring on the doors and hinges, and thank every one concerned for pointing it out. It is amazing how long you can spend on the internet just finding out about ledge and brace doors and how easy it is to get it wrong, even some of the suppliers of doors manage to mess it up. all the best Adrian :scratchhead:

I've never worked that out   ....     :scratchhead:

............    the way you have it - the weight of the door acting on the Brace pulls the vertical planks together   .......    the way it should be - the weight of the door tends to spread the planks apart  .....    :O

...   perhaps you should leave them as they are and we could wait to see whether the doors deteriorate, over time   .........     :angel:

Its not to do with keeping the planks together that is done by the frame. The braces are to stop it sagging, the way you have them the non hinge side there is nothing for them to push against and the door would drag on the floor very quickly.

This does not detract from it being a nice model. But we are modelling real things and should get it right to the best of our abilities.