westerhamstation

Its not to do with keeping the planks together that is done by the frame. The braces are to stop it sagging, the way you have them the non hinge side there is nothing for them to push against and the door would drag on the floor very quickly.

This does not detract from it being a nice model. But we are modelling real things and should get it right to the best of our abilities.

I thought the doors were made from a single sheet of corrugated iron, in which case the the door would be supporting the bracing so it does it really matter which way the bracing goes?

I thought the doors were made from a single sheet of corrugated iron, in which case the the door would be supporting the bracing so it does it really matter which way the bracing goes?

Dead right the crrugated sheet will act as the triangulation, not very well though as you nail through the ridges so never can get it very tight.  Also a carpenter would make the frame support itself and then the sheet added to the sheet to the outside. The braces should be under compression not under tension. The only fixed part of the door is the hinge side. which means the bottom of braces has to be that side.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Blimey I didn't know any of that, I thought that being plasticard it would all be ok. sorry. Thank you all for your door input, and I have learned more about door construction than I would have thought possible so thanks guys for your info. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Sorry for side tracking your thread. I spent 25 years plus as a carpenter and builder. These things stick out like a sore thumb to me.

The builder here when we had our house built loved and hated me. They liked it cos I could make instant decissions about things, but hate the fact that I picked up everything that was wrong.

I think you have and are doing a grand job on this layout. I just hope when I start my layout later in the year I can get it right. I will look forward to being pickup up on all my errors.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for side tracking your thread. I spent 25 years plus as a carpenter and builder. These things stick out like a sore thumb to me.

The builder here when we had our house built loved and hated me. They liked it cos I could make instant decissions about things, but hate the fact that I picked up everything that was wrong.

I think you have and are doing a grand job on this layout. I just hope when I start my layout later in the year I can get it right. I will look forward to being pickup up on all my errors.

Hi Peter, I know what you mean, and if something is wrong it's wrong and more so if you are a skilled person, it hits you in the face every time you look at it. Thanks for following and hope you have as much fun building your layout as i am having with mine. all the best Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Today's the day that the old shed goes to Brasted Station and is settled down in it's new surroundings.

Some creeper growing up the side and back, moss on the roof, a bit of left over corrugated iron, and an old ladder. Tommorow the front of the shed will be made to feel at home. Some pics of todays efforts.

post-17489-0-13562000-1400783317_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-23319100-1400783340_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-76920300-1400783364_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-36266000-1400783382_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-47476000-1400783401_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-26010100-1400783423_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-65419900-1400783444_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-86404900-1400783461_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Adrian, that looks brilliant. As you did with the grounded van, you've made it look like it was always there.

The colouring on the spare bits of corrugated iron is absolutely spot on, can I ask what colours you used?

Al.

You have a great eye for detail Adrian and I have picked up quite a few good ideas from your posts. I now spend much more time taking notice of my surroundings to observe how things grow and look in the real world.

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

• Like 2

Wow Adrian!

You say you're having fun with this layout and it certainly shows. This is exhibition grade stuff and I'm surprised the magazines haven't been beating your door down. The fact that your close up photography more than holds up is testament to your modelling  - no "cruel close-ups" for you - it's all excellent.

I have to agree with Al - you wouldn't know that it has just been planted. The weathered left over corrugated sheets are just sublime.

You've probably mentioned it before, but what is the fencing you've used? I think it looks marvellous, and your paint treatment is just superb. I take it you've used enamels?

My station is roughly LMS, but LMS station fencing looks pants next to that spear fencing, so I may have to go completely freelance :)

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Adrian, that looks brilliant. As you did with the grounded van, you've made it look like it was always there.

The colouring on the spare bits of corrugated iron is absolutely spot on, can I ask what colours you used?

Al.

Hi Al. The colours on the corrugated iron, first a quick spray with pound shop grey primer, then rail match 405 dark rust applied neat from the jar, then washed over with a clean brush loaded with white spirit, as with most of my painting I like to work wet paint on wet paint so so that it blends better, also I am impatient and can't wait for things to dry. all the best Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Several Westerham Branch pics in one of the books that I referred to earlier this week feature H Class 31544. So, if Adrian wins the lottery this weekend, I thought he might want to look at this RTR special : http://www.carriageandwagonmodels.com/wainwright-brsr-h-class-31544-late-crest-610-p.asp

Wow have just gone out and brought a ticket, fingers crossed :locomotive:

Seriously lovely eye for colour. I thnk the real thing has deeper shadows...which is weird when I can see you model has distinctly real shadows. how that makes sense I have no idea.

but beautiful work.

N.B. That green fencing always reminds me of some zoo fencing i had as a child.

• RMweb Gold

Adrian,

Did you say you did not have a picture of this shed?  If so I am sure I have seen one in a book I bought second hand somewhere, and I am certain that the bracing is the wrong way round, just like yours.  ;)

Looks brilliant either way.

That wouldn't be?  ..........................     couldn't be    ..............................   

............................    a picture   .........................   of  ............................    the original build of the doors   ...    :O  :nono:  :O

...........................      sort of rotated through    ....    "One Hundred and Eeeiiighty"    ...........      :scratchhead:

...........................    you wouldn't  ...     :O    ...............        OOooooh      ..........     think what the neighbors might think [and say here-abouts!]     ..........      :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julian, I took the old doors off and rotated them through every point of the compass, and all I ended up with were two old doors that had the bracing at the wrong angle, so I have made two new ones. Here is a picture of the old doors during Bodgit and Scarpers door rotation process. all the best Adrian

post-17489-0-38936800-1401634861_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-26641000-1401634879_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On Sunday my son in laws dad kindly gave me a Dapol coal wagon. This needed a bit of battering to fit in with the coal yard at Brasted, I wanted it to look like it was well past it's sell by date (a bit like me), and didn't stray to far from home. It was painted with matt enamel, wet on wet and filled with real coal. This was all done to the accompaniment of hammering and swearing by Bodgit and Scarper trying to remedy the doors on the corrugated shed. 

post-17489-0-96155000-1401708933_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-87211000-1401708947_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-16070100-1401708965_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-45270500-1401708981_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-26166600-1401708998_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-93899800-1401709012_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-91815500-1401709026_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-72373500-1401709041_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-21986700-1401709057_thumb.jpg

• Like 13