westerhamstation

Adrian - please be gentle with this chap. On another thread, freebs offered a compliment about the tunnel portals. Whereupon the layout owner suggested he get out more.....

Really? Oh dear…. perhaps I should

Or should I just avoid getting so immersed in lovely, lovely modelling….?

Nurse? Where are those dried frog pills? ;)

Glad to see    ........

off now to Westerham for some water....

......  that you are following the government's guidelines on avoiding refreshment containing too much sugar    ........       :imsohappy:   ...........  perhaps as a reward he could have a gentle Gin&T  ...

PS. What I don't understand is how I am supposed to halve my intake of sugar and drink water instead [as demanded by those wonderful persons who know that, simply because they place their own flabby derrieres {should apparently take much less sugar} on on green leather seats and thereby know far more than any other person in this wonderful country.] when I don't take sugar in drinks, don't eat desserts, don't eat sweets, don't drink fizzy drinks, eat cakes or jam {I just ran out of sugary thoughts}].

What I further don't understand is why they are banging on about sugar - when fats provide anything from 30 to 150 times more calories, weight for weight, for the body to burn off [there's a bigger clue for them to ignore]..............    PLUS - it is a damned sight easier to consume 500 gm / 1 lb of animal fat, than the same weight of sugar   .............   :derisive:

Figures only work for me if they are in stationary poses, ie sitting down, leaning against a wall etc ...

Oh, I don't know about that. Most railwaymen seem able to look very effective just standing around doing very little. :O

Edited by ronstrutt

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see    ........

......  that you are following the government's guidelines on avoiding refreshment containing too much sugar    ........       :imsohappy:   ...........  perhaps as a reward he could have a gentle Gin&T  ...

PS. What I don't understand is how I am supposed to halve my intake of sugar and drink water instead [as demanded by those wonderful persons who know that, simply because they place their own flabby derrieres {should apparently take much less sugar} on on green leather seats and thereby know far more than any other person in this wonderful country.] when I don't take sugar in drinks, don't eat desserts, don't eat sweets, don't drink fizzy drinks, eat cakes or jam {I just ran out of sugary thoughts}].

What I further don't understand is why they are banging on about sugar - when fats provide anything from 30 to 150 times more calories, weight for weight, for the body to burn off [there's a bigger clue for them to ignore]..............    PLUS - it is a damned sight easier to consume 500 gm / 1 lb of animal fat, than the same weight of sugar   .............   :derisive:

Crikey.

Oh, I don't know about that. Most railwaymen seem able to look very effective just standing around doing very little. :O

Oi! Some of us resemble that remark!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After drawing Brasted Station out on paper, working out how much space would be needed etc, etc, what made me move the drawing on the basebaseboard to the right about three inches and not notice, this has given me a problem as the curve that I was going to put in to take the track to the fiddle yard inside the room

is to tight. So a cunning plan has appeared on the horizon more of which in the next post. These pictures show the next stage to be landscaped (flockaged) the control panel for the points to make and connect.  A clue to the solution to my problem lies in the 3rd picture please don't tell Mrs W Station :butcher:

post-17489-0-09175400-1404150557_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-15994100-1404150572_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-52000500-1404150595_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had a brief moment of fright when I saw the first picture. having forgotten that this is still under construction, my first reaction was "OH GOD NO HE'S TEARING IT UP!!!! HE'S TOTALLY LOST IT, CALL THE DOCTORS QUICK".

....thankfully I was mistaken....

The 'take it outside' plan seems quite popular these days so good luck with it :)

Nestor (concerned of Brighton)

• Like 1

WORLD EXCLUSIVE!

Don't forget, you read it here first.

While you're taking drastic action at the eastern end of the line, you might want to give some thought to the western end.

The attached map is part of the plans for a second main line to Brighton that was approved by Parliament in 1866. It was promoted jointly by the South Eastern Railway and the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. (Yes, contrary to popular belief, they weren't always fighting each other - sometimes they teamed up to fight the LBSCR.) It would have run from junctions with the parent companies' lines at Beckenham (Mid-Kent line from Lewisham) and Penge (LCDR main line), through Limpsfield, East Grinstead, Horsted Keynes, and Lewes. The approach to Brighton would have been parallel to the coast through Ovingdean and Kemp Town. The terminus would have been directly across the road from the Royal Pavilion. A station matching the Pavlion might have been quite something!

At is northern end, after passing between West Wickham and Hayes, it would have headed into the Downs through what is now Biggin Hill village. There was to be a 2,000 yard tunnel under the North Downs, emerging south of Tatsfield.

A couple of hundred yards south of the tunnel mouth, there was to have been a triangular junction with a branch to Westerham. At Westerham it would have joined up with the branch from Dunton Green which was approved two years previously (shown as a dashed line on the map). The station at Westerham would have been shifted slightly to the north so that the line heading west would have passed through the site where the Crown Hotel was later built. The line would also have been raised onto an embankment to cross London Road on an arched bridge of 16 feet headroom.

Westerham would have had trains to London in both directions and to Brighton. It was also intended to extend from Dunton Green to Otford, so that there could also have been through trains to Maidstone.

This is not the oft-mentioned Oxted extension.of the Westerham branch. That came 10 years later and was never approved.

So why didn't it happen? The answer is that in May 1866 there was a major financial crash which led to recession. In events that will be familiar to most of us, one major bank collapsed through making foolish investments and loans, taking others with it. One of the biggest railway contractors went bankrupt, as did the LCDR, while the SER cut back its spending, and for several years money for railway building was very hard to come by.

When things got back to normal, peace had broken out between the various companies and any idea of building a new line to Brighton was forgotten. But that doesn't mesan it shouldn't appear in model form, does it?!

post-20556-0-32540800-1404162975.jpg

• Like 5

WORLD EXCLUSIVE!

While you're taking drastic action at the eastern end of the line, you might want to give some thought to the western end.

The attached map is part of the plans for a second main line to Brighton that was approved by Parliament in 1866. It was promoted jointly by the South Eastern Railway and the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. (Yes, contrary to popular belief, they weren't always fighting each other - sometimes they teamed up to fight the LBSCR.) It would have run from junctions with the parent companies' lines at Beckenham (Mid-Kent line from Lewisham) and Penge (LCDR main line), through Limpsfield, East Grinstead, Horsted Keynes, and Lewes. The approach to Brighton would have been parallel to the coast through Ovingdean and Kemp Town. The terminus would have been directly across the road from the Royal Pavilion. A station matching the Pavlion might have been quite something!

At is northern end, after passing between West Wickham and Hayes, it would have headed into the Downs through what is now Biggin Hill village. There was to be a 2,000 yard tunnel under the North Downs, emerging south of Tatsfield.

A couple of hundred yards south of the tunnel mouth, there was to have been a triangular junction with a branch to Westerham. At Westerham it would have joined up with the branch from Dunton Green which was approved two years previously (shown as a dashed line on the map). The station at Westerham would have been shifted slightly to the north so that the line heading west would have passed through the site where the Crown Hotel was later built. The line would also have been raised onto an embankment to cross London Road on an arched bridge of 16 feet headroom.

Westerham would have had trains to London in both directions and to Brighton. It was also intended to extend from Dunton Green to Otford, so that there could also have been through trains to Maidstone.

This is not the oft-mentioned Oxted extension.of the Westerham branch. That came 10 years later and was never approved.

So why didn't it happen? The answer is that in May 1866 there was a major financial crash which led to recession. In events that will be familiar to most of us, one major bank collapsed through making foolish investments and loans, taking others with it. One of the biggest railway contractors went bankrupt, as did the LCDR, while the SER cut back its spending, and for several years money for railway building was very hard to come by.

When things got back to normal, peace had broken out between the various companies and any idea of building a new line to Brighton was forgotten. But that doesn't mesan it shouldn't appear in model form, does it?!

WORLD EXCLUSIVE!

If that line had been built railway history in that part of Kent Surrey and Sussex would have been very different. The Oxted line would probably not have been constructed,meaning no Bluebell Railway.

It was the same bank crash that did for the LBSCR's Ouse Valley line.the railway map of southern England would have been very different.

David51

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ron, thank you for that world exclusive. That is a an amazing bit of railway history that you have uncovered in your research, how different the whole area would have been if this had come about. Thank you for sharing this information with us all. I may have to start a complete rebuild now !!! all the best Adrian.

david51, on 30 Jun 2014 - 22:26, said:

If that line had been built railway history in that part of Kent Surrey and Sussex would have been very different. The Oxted line would probably not have been constructed,meaning no Bluebell Railway.
It was the same bank crash that did for the LBSCR's Ouse Valley line.the railway map of southern England would have been very different.
David51

Curiously, the Oxted line - in the form of the Surrey & Sussex Junction Railway, running from Croydon to Ashurst Junction, near Groombridge, was already being built when this line went through Parliament and its course is shown on the detailed plan of the line. The Ouse Valley is shown on the main map, further south. The work on the SSJR was abandoned after the 1866 crash. Much of the part-complete trackbed was used for the later joint LBSCR/SER joint Oxted line that opened in 1884. It is unlikely that the Hurst Green to East Grinstead line would have been built, though, and certainly not the Bluebell from there to Lewes.

Interestingly, the map also shows, very faintly indeed, the originally planned (1836) course of the South Eastern Railway before it was persuaded to share the London & Brighton route all the way down to Redhill. It ran up the Warlingham valley on a cross between the later Caterham and Oxted lines (today's Whyteleafe South station on the Caterham branch is actually on its course). From there it broadly followed the route of today's Oxted line to Hurst Green, after which it began to curve east, to run a bit north of today's SER line through Edenbridge, gradually merging into the route of the latter at what was then called Bow Beach, now Bough Beech, near Penshurst. To bring this back on topic, if that had that been built as planned, a much earlier branch through Westerham to Sevenoaks would have been a distinct possibility.

You can just make the line out between the words 'Barrow' and 'Gr.'just above the word 'Oxtead' on the map above. It looks as though it was added to the map etching in 1836 and had to be removed in 1837, but that wasn't totally successful.

Addition: Have a look at the left hand side of this map: http://maps.nls.uk/view/102347490 (surveyed in 1869) and you can see some of the part-complete but abandoned SSJR trackbed.

Edited by ronstrutt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some months back when I was laying the track for Brasted, I fitted the wire and tube for the point control, It was surface mounted, unlike Westerham which ran underneath the board and was a right pain to fit, so learning from that I fitted it early on in the build and the tube is now buried under the scenery. The only cloud now on the horizon is that to get at the adjusters if they don't work in the future, is to remove some scenery, to that end I fitted all the adjusters in one area.

The control panel is made from a bit of scrap timber, and the switches are the dpdt type same as at Westerham, they are not wired electricaly to the points.

A point to note is that the tube needs a lot of fixing points as the slightest flex in it decreases the amount of throw you get from the switch.It is surprising how tight a radius you can get with the tube, but always fit the wire in the tube before you curve it. It's all the same type of system as Westerham regarding adjusters, type of wire and tube, switches etc, so some pictures of the panel and control system.

post-17489-0-71927300-1404231465_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-94068400-1404231482_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-33477900-1404231499_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-45687500-1404231513_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-71259700-1404231530_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-47660200-1404231548_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-59745100-1404231559_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Never mind the technical bits, that's a lovely bit of carpentry. I know it's only a lump of wood, but the time you've taken to shape and smooth it elevates it to something special.

• Like 1

What do you mean  ......................

I know it's only a lump of wood,.....

.................................    my Ol Man would have given his Eye Teeth for a piece of wood like that and made a whole house roof to cover the family    ...........       :cry:

nice piece of woodwork.....had you done a mirror image....you could have pretended to play the guitar......

yep....coat....got it....leaving......LOL

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased to see I've used exactly the same method on Shepherds & Treamble for my point control.

But a question - why does one wire first turn right, then turn 180 deg sharp left ? Would it not have been easier to just turn left in a larger curve ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stubby,  I did try it in that sort of position as you can make out in the last photo, but it wouldn't work smoothly for some reason, also I wanted to keep all the adjusters in one area, the point were you put the adjuster in works best on a straight run as if it is on a curve it tends to want to keep on springing outwards, also the levels of the baseboard sort of dictated it's run, it looks a bit convoluted and ideally a bigger radius would have been better. thanks for asking, all the best Adrian.