westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, Humbrol slate grey, nato green, touch of rail match dark rust, white spirit, a sprig of of bay leaf and a dash of red wine. all the best Adrian

Adrian,

Does it half to be red wine?  Can it be an 'Old Tom' or 'Bishops Finger'?

In Chris Gammell's "The Branch Line Age", published by Moorland in 1976, there is a John Smallwood photo taken on the up main platform, under the shelter, showing a double door with sign "Westerham Branch Trains", which implies a passageway - possibly covered? - between the two platforms. The footbridge is visible immediately beyond the end of the shelter. My other C Gammell album, "Southern Branch Lines 1955-1965", OPC, and also 1976, has on the cover a classic Dunton Green pic showing the branch train ready to depart, with the photographer standing on the "wrong" side of the tracks, rather than on the platform! That would have been typical Gammell. He and JAV Smallwood were friends and colleagues, which is why I'm fairly certain my late wife typed the original manuscript for the OPC book.

My Westerham knowledge has also been enhanced looking through a couple of other books just now - and finding a pic of a West Country leaving the terminus with 11 on in 1957......

Just found your reply and have placed an order for both the books you mention. I could not believe that they were both available via the internet and at a total cost of just £7 including postage! Excellent - thank you for the tip. Look forward to some serious reading soon. And yes, the walkway was covered but have yet to see a pic of it. However, my modelling goes on a pace, mainly from guesswork and a few pics including an interesting aerial one which unfortunately just misses out the branch platform but gives a good idea of the booking hall. When you work in 'n' guage, I think you are entited touse a modicum of artistic license!

• Like 1

This is my first attempt at railway modelling since i was 15 I have wanted something to do since i retired last year. I remember the branch line from my youth when i used to cycle past the station. It is built in my garage and is 10ft x 2ft here are a few pics of whats happening so far. 95% of buildings are scratch built from card and plasticard the crown hotel is a modified superquick hotel.

When I was volunteering at Westerham Station in 1962, we were selling a small publication about the railway by G.T.Black. I have made it into a .pdf and if anyone is interested, please email me and I will send a copy to you. glynn.huggins@send-media.com

Easy peasy  ...........

How come the 'new' doors look just as old as the 'old' doors - looks like the shed owner has been conned !!

You aren't looking at now  .....   this is all in the past, like the Ford Anglia   ....  so the events are likewise a long time ago  ...     the doors were actually changed even before the layout time and not now and so have rust on them  ...  it wouldn't be right to have nice shiny galvanized doors, as they would be if they were changed now  ...  but that can't be right, as on the layout "Now" hasn't happened yet, so can't be shown  ...  nor can when they were changed be shown as they are already old on the layout and therefore rusty - which tends to happen if they are around for long enough  ...  so, although it is known they needed to be changed and that that they were previously not right - that can't be shown at the time of the layout, because the change was earlier than that  ...  Bodgit and Scarper had already done the change years before, so the doors have to be rusty, even though they were changed  ...  but earlier than the layout shows  ...  so obviously the only reason they are shown rusty is because they are not modeled as now, but as then and then is not either now nor earlier, when they were changed, which of course can't be shown as the layout is later, but and not as late as the present, when indeed they were actually modeled, nor can they be shown as shiny, as they were earlier, because it isn't earlier - or now, when they might have been shown as shiny, but, of course, it is neither so they can't be shiny, so they must be rusty, which can't be shiny like they would have been before or indeed after they are on the layout   ...

...  there now, a little clarity can be really helpful   ...    :sungum:

PS. It is quite possible, however, that Bodgit and Scarper didn't use new galvanised for the repair and just re-jigged the old stuff by moving the diagonal braces  ...   quite likely too, considering the way they operate  ....    :nono:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Easy peasy  ...........

You aren't looking at now  .....   this is all in the past, like the Ford Anglia   ....  so the events are likewise a long time ago  ...     the doors were actually changed even before the layout time and not now and so have rust on them  ...  it wouldn't be right to have nice shiny galvanized doors, as they would be if they were changed now  ...  but that can't be right, as on the layout "Now" hasn't happened yet, so can't be shown  ...  nor can when they were changed be shown as they are already old on the layout and therefore rusty - which tends to happen if they are around for long enough  ...  so, although it is known they needed to be changed and that that they were previously not right - that can't be shown at the time of the layout, because the change was earlier than that  ...  Bodgit and Scarper had already done the change years before, so the doors have to be rusty, even though they were changed  ...  but earlier than the layout shows  ...  so obviously the only reason they are shown rusty is because they are not modeled as now, but as then and then is not either now nor earlier, when they were changed, which of course can't be shown as the layout is later, but and not as late as the present, when indeed they were actually modeled, nor can they be shown as shiny, as they were earlier, because it isn't earlier - or now, when they might have been shown as shiny, but, of course, it is neither so they can't be shiny, so they must be rusty, which can't be shiny like they would have been before or indeed after they are on the layout   ...

...  there now, a little clarity can be really helpful   ...    :sungum:

PS. It is quite possible, however, that Bodgit and Scarper didn't use new galvanised for the repair and just re-jigged the old stuff by moving the diagonal braces  ...   quite likely too, considering the way they operate  ....    :nono:

Have gone for a lie down in a dark room and shut the door. :O

please click on link Julian it might help
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Have gone for a lie down in a dark room and shut the door. :O

please click on link Julian it might help

I have not heard that for years.  They do not play it on the radio anymore as it is non PC.  The real trouble is that I remember it when it was first broadcast, listening to a Pirate station on my transistor radio!

As for Julian's piece, just brilliant!

(Adrian, quick build something before there is thread drift.)

• RMweb Gold

Easy peasy  ...........

Crikey!

I have not heard that for years.  They do not play it on the radio anymore as it is non PC.  The real trouble is that I remember it when it was first broadcast, listening to a Pirate station on my transistor radio!

As for Julian's piece, just brilliant!

(Adrian, quick build something before there is thread drift.)

Julian,  understand's the importance ...  and has taken, immediate action. .........Drift.....he has "baled out"

Edited by David Todd

I was just looking over that picture and a thought passed through my mind  .......   those Buffers are hefty looking items  ...   they will be rather tricky to model   .........................       ........................       ............      :fool:

Adrian they are amazing   ......   :swoon:

Oh well, back to the friends with the starched white coats and nice sweeties  .....  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now we have all recovered from the Back To The Future and beyond door episode and are in the real world, we are now back at the buffers. Peco buffers with some bits chopped off and painted. Sited where they are below the road level with a bit of a bank, and the lack of staff and maintenance at Brasted Station at the time, I have assumed that grass and weeds would be about and flourishing so that is what i have attempted to show. here are some pics

post-17489-0-09846100-1402244130_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-82035600-1402244173_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-07902900-1402244193_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-21005400-1402244216_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-55947400-1402244233_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Adrian,

Brilliant as ever. 

I would watch that grass though it appears to have grown rather rapidly between the first and third pictures.  I am not sure what fertilizer you put on it but it would probably make you a fortune.  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My local supermarket has brambles on special offer this week.

To be precise sponges with a scouring pad stuck on, It's not original but some of you may not have seen it before and it's cheap.

1.Strip the scouring pad from the sponge .2. give the scouring pad fibres a spray of hair spray or glue. 3. sprinkle some scatter on (in this case I used fine turf light green). 4. tease the fibres apart and put in your hedgrow. Hope this is of some use, here are some pictures.

post-17489-0-12019700-1402426352_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-69863700-1402426368_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-15374600-1402426385_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-47952200-1402426402_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-51379800-1402426417_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-69914500-1402426432_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-19074400-1402426459_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-22558400-1402426474_thumb.jpg

• Like 8