westerhamstation

That might take a Mathematician   ......................

That could be a useful nugget of information if you can work it out.

........................   equipped with a Pencil   ..........     :yes:  ...   :paint:    .........     ...........    .......    :O  :O

• RMweb Gold

What a fantastic shot Adrian, very atmospheric. I've never really noticed your grass before for some reason, what do you use?

Nestor

Hi Nest, the long grass is Woodland Scenics WFG173 Light Green Field Grass, with a mix of Jarvis stactic grass summer mix put down first.

All the best Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Summer is here, who's for a ice lolly, or ice cream.

Which depending on what kind of summer we get this time either means it'll melt all over your hand or just add to your already frozen body...

Great picture as always as well :)

Nestor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely little details, and exquisite colouring as usual.

I see you got my drum of Esso oil, but blimey, you haven't looked after it very well, I'm sure it was shiny and green when I sent it :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi adrian, its not just the skill of putting your plans into action, it's your imagination as well that amazes me. The fact that you can add everyday (I hope you don't mind if I add mundane) detail that to all intents and purposes I wouldn't even notice out in the real world. I was just wondering, completely on a tangent, but do you have any animals on your layout at all? I was just imagining a cat looking out from that tubing. :)

Gosh I've got a lot of reading to do to catch up with everyone!

a cat in the shadows, almost obscured would probably look fairly realistic.

I think I know why he avoids people,etc. 99/100  always look like plastic figures, even the best of them are hard to get movement and life into.

Here you get that lazy Sunday afternoon, before all the supermarkets and shops opened. When people sat down and ate Sunday lunch together, then perhaps took a walk in a deserted village to burn off all those calories. Not even the pubs were open. It's like walking into a bygone era.The only time of day when there was any gathering was when the church bells rang. Something else that you do not hear nowadays.Not round here anyway. simple pleasures, and when the pub opened a sit in the saloon with half a pint of shandy.

And for me...it works perfectly......you get the sense....that some little scruffy 7 year old kid in knee length trousers is about to come racing around the corner with his equally little scruffy dog.He ha a tennis ball and there gonna play fetch, and maybe sit in that little pipe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

a cat in the shadows, almost obscured would probably look fairly realistic.

I think I know why he avoids people,etc. 99/100  always look like plastic figures, even the best of them are hard to get movement and life into.

Here you get that lazy Sunday afternoon, before all the supermarkets and shops opened. When people sat down and ate Sunday lunch together, then perhaps took a walk in a deserted village to burn off all those calories. Not even the pubs were open. It's like walking into a bygone era.The only time of day when there was any gathering was when the church bells rang. Something else that you do not hear nowadays.Not round here anyway. simple pleasures, and when the pub opened a sit in the saloon with half a pint of shandy.

And for me...it works perfectly......you get the sense....that some little scruffy 7 year old kid in knee length trousers is about to come racing around the corner with his equally little scruffy dog.He ha a tennis ball and there gonna play fetch, and maybe sit in that little pipe.

Hi Jaz, I did originally think about who would populate Westerham and what sort of figures could I use, but as time went on and I got further into the making of Westerham they seemed to me not to be so important, and I liked the idea of a quite, dusty, sunny day with nothing much happening, of people not doing anything in particular, listening to Family Favourites on the wireless while the Sunday roast cooked, while the branch line just did what it did best which was not a lot.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, less is more where figures are concerned. Just the signs of life such as the odd door and window left open or ajar works far better for me than figures in some crazy pose as though they were caught by the old children's television programme "The Magic Boomarang" for those too young see www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8_LDgRdOQs

Figures only work for me if they are in stationary poses, ie sitting down, leaning against a wall etc and even then not too many of them. At the risk of lots of hate mail the same principle applies to the abundance of shiney out of the box cars, buses, lorries etc forming some sort of stationary traffic jam on layouts otherwise meant to be depicting times when such things were only to be found in the centre of cities. Once again the odd car parked up works far better to my tastes. If you like lots of model cars and buses then change them around each time you have a running session, with most of them spending time in a box or nearby drawer.

Hence, I like so many others it seems are enjoying the pictures of Brasted with the odd car and pick up thrown in from time to time.

Keep up the good work.

Kevin

Edited by Strathwood
  • Like 4