westerhamstation

Hi Adrian,

Like the fence and the broken/dangling bit in the last pic  ....    :sungum:

Nice picture angles too. Those posts look as if you put Caps on and took the trouble to drill holes to thread the cotton through some too  ......    :O

• RMweb Gold

First trick of the trade is to pinch Mrs W's brown cotton as it saves painting all of it to make it look rusty, and then kid her that you thought as she was so busy you didn't like to bother her with mending an old pair of gardening trousers. If thats not enough to make her suspicous of your behaiviour, then nothing will!

Kevin

• Like 1

Lovely work and pictures....as usual......

can I ask why you did the horizontal lines on the posts, do they depict something.....or was it  a left over from one of your clever......oooh I could use that on the layout.......furtive look......sneaking off to model room....to turn something you would never buy in a model shop and turning it into the desirable bits and bobs on your thread......

and I agree with J (Jcredfer) the angled tops .......going the extra.....always pays off...

• RMweb Gold

Note also how the footbridge stairs go in different directions, because of the partially staggered platforms.

This is, by the way, Grove Park in 1903 before the line was quadrupled there, the widening being the reason why the footbridge became redundant there and got moved to DG.

Not knowing much about SER history, I hadn't twigged the location, despite working there for two years in the mid-70s. I do remember that in the down sidings, which might be where those coaches are standing, there were, even then, chairs with SER markings on them. 

The LBSCR certainly had a Duplicate List in its early years, although I'm not sure when this lapsed. Part of the appeal of the Brighton to me is the policy, until about 1905, of naming every small tank engine - and painting them in a sort of mustard yellow, famously designated Improved Engine Green.

I fully endorse the excellence of SEmG as a website of outstanding depth of knowledge.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I really would like you all to think that I had the time to hand whittle 144 fence posts from a piece of left over floorboard, but in reality they are the Ratio fence posts.

As I mentioned some time ago that the best thing to do with these is, on opening the packet search for the coil of nylon, find the nearest bin and throw it away. because if you don't you will waste most of your modelling time trying to fix it to the posts. I also open out the slots in the posts with a razor  saw, so that the cotton can locate into the groove. Off now to whittle a loading gauge :butcher: . All the best Adrian.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

A few many years ago I did a bit of Sea-fishing and knots in fishing line were sealed by a drop of Super Glue.  Of course that may not be the same nylon line as the stuff in the Ratio packet, but it could be worth a trial to see if it might hold scenic bits of fencing to the posts??

• Like 1

The summer hols are over, and the famous five are going back to boarding school. They have just dumped their tuck boxes and bike, and gone in search of ice creams and ginger beer. Aunt Fanny is pleased to see the back of them.

Good storyline Adrian............. :drag:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian, I remember some years ago being employed as a fencer's mate to put a wire fence around a horse field between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. The only problem was that two of the sides were so steep that the horses had worn terraces into the hill with their hooves. A couple of times we managed to carry a shoulder full of 4" posts to the top only to see them roll down again. On the upside, it was beautiful countryside around there.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Guess who did rip the #rse out of his brand new school trousers climbing over one of these fences aged 10 (not by a railway).

The fence is all painted, and the grass has grown, the wire has gone quite rusty already so don't cut yourself climbing it, otherwise they will slap some of that iodine on it, that stuff doesn't half sting.

post-17489-0-66978300-1409594663_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-24973100-1409594679_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-03270400-1409594693_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-42048000-1409594707_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-29320700-1409594719_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-71325500-1409594733_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-47696800-1409594742_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-28947900-1409594756_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-15982500-1409594884_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

When a very young age    ...............................  even younger than my brain is now    ...........................

I was out in a field with one of my girlfriends  ....   :tender:   ..........   when she said  ..  "NO!"  .....    :angry:

Of course being a young lad, that was simply the wrong answer    ..............    so I carried on     ..........     despite another very strident "NO!"   .......     

....   So I carried on    ............................................................   and climbed onto the gate, she said I shouldn't climb on   .....    [Oh ... come on now  ....   what else for a very young boy?  ..  shame on you.   :nono:  ]

So she decided to pull me away, in case I fell   ......   so I got pulled off the gate - and FELL off onto the Barbed Wire fence next to the gate - and still have the 1 1/2 in scar just over the left eye ..................

don't cut yourself climbing it, otherwise they will slap some of that iodine on it, that stuff doesn't half sting.

........................................     YEP!

PS. I believe she reached the higher echelons in H&SE  .................................   alright, that isn't true - but she should have done! 

Anyone wanting modelling pictures of Westerham, there are some good ones with plenty of detail for sale on Ebay at the moment.

Edit: I have removed the link because there is some doubt as to whether the seller has any right to be selling copies of these pictures. There is a suspicion that they may simply have been scanned from an old magazine.

Edited by ronstrutt

Hi Adrian,

A few many years ago I did a bit of Sea-fishing and knots in fishing line were sealed by a drop of Super Glue.  Of course that may not be the same nylon line as the stuff in the Ratio packet, but it could be worth a trial to see if it might hold scenic bits of fencing to the posts??

You forgot to point out, J,........it was from a Sea-King helicopter......... :O

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a kind donation of coffee stirrers, I have been able to make the barrow crossing for Brasted. It seems to be in a strange place, but that's roughly were it was on the prototype (last picture shows original). The coffee stirrers have been cut to sleeper size and glued with pva.The piece of track was used to check clearance before fitting. Next item to build will be the platelayers hut.

post-17489-0-58291700-1409940311_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-19982500-1409940331_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-10677100-1409940355_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-08121400-1409940376_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-38571700-1409940392_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-15391500-1409940404_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-74436200-1409940743.jpg

• Like 16

Seriously, I assume it was to give access to the signal box, which was situated on the north side of the line almost opposite the points to the goods yard, so pretty well by the barrow crossing.

The BOT inspection report of 1881 says that:

The new stations are Brasted and Westerham, and Dunton Green has been enlarged on the upside. These stations are provided with all necessary accommodations and the signal arrangements have been properly carried out in 3 new raised cabins, in which there are the necessary block telegraph and speaking instruments.

The use of the word 'raised' makes it clear that this was a proper signal box - Gould had lots of difficulty with the writing in the report and among other things misread 'raised' as 'signal'. I have yet to come across any reference in the archives to its removal - it is shown on the 1907 OS map but absent (along with the signals) on the 1936 one. Gould said that it had gone by 1920. It seems strange, though, that they demolished the signal box very thoroughly but left the barrow crossing that led to it?

I suppose one plausible explanation is that they had some wagons and a crane standing on the running line in order to take away the lever frame for scrap or re-use along with all the demolition debris - and the barrow crossing was underneath them.

After they'd departed, everyone must have thought "they must have left the crossing there for some good reason, better leave it alone". I wonder how many times it was repaired or reinstated after track renewals?

NB: for those who thought the idea of a footpath crossing over the the M25 amusing, there is one such crossing over the near-motorway standard six-lane A3 not far from Guildford, complete with signs for motorists to beware of pedestrians crossing!

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2730554,-0.5261089,3a,75y,51.2h,78.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMfoTK0iLacNNFQvO1Pnnog!2e0

Edited by ronstrutt

Returning to this post ..................#757.....on this thread..................

I was in WH.Smith's yesterday,  

There is a book, "The Odd Corners' of the Southern", by a Mr Postlewaite, (sorry if authors' name is mis-spelt).

It has,a good quality B/W pic. of this grounded van,with a coal pile,& scale's,step's and platform,for entry to the van.

Coal was weighed, bagged in sack's and stored by the local merchant,in the van, ready for delivery.........

A very good reference  photograph..........  go source the pic.......Adrian.........the book is £13.

Fantastic layout with an abundance of beautiful scenery. The 3 pictures in post 1052 speak a thousand words. I'm going to give this a proper read rather than a quick look through, in due course. I don't know how I missed it, but I'm glad I have found it !

Cheers, Gary.