westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

That's looking the bee's knees Adrian.

Nestor

Don't start him off about recycling dead bees from the garden at this time of year to conjure something else up with. Some of us are still getting our heads around this hut for now.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Like the weathered roofing felt.  How did you get that effect?

Hi, its just cheepo printing paper stuck down onto card with PVA, and when dry torn around the edge of the card, then painted with dark grey enamel that is more white spirit than paint, really it's just coloured white spirit . Hope this helps all the best Adrian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you brought any corrugated iron lately? £32 pounds per sheet, I am not paying that. I need two sheets for the platelayers hut, as there is a big hole in the sleepers and the window frame has rotted and the glass has dropped out. So as I am not as rich as Bill Gates, it's time to make some.

Out to the freezer and get a Cornetto (other frozen goodies are available) unwrap your Cornetto and eat, then get a block of wood, superglue some left over bits of piano wire to it, and it let dry. Next take a piece of your Cornetto wrapper and lightly sand the silver surface so that the paint will stick.

Lay your bit of wrapper over the wire and rub it firmly all over with your finger. then give it a light spray with some grey primer, and cut to size.

Some pictures of the process, sorry I do not have enough Cornetto's to share out.

Ps I could have used Plasicard but then it wouldn't have been as much fun.

post-17489-0-23735800-1411574911_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-03266400-1411574929_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-96959800-1411574951_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-05647400-1411574970_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-79699600-1411574990_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-14382800-1411575017_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-14123100-1411575037_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi, It's just a touch of green enamel thinned like the grey, and washed in while it's all wet. All the best Adam (aka Adrian).

LOL I'm guessing Adam being in the bible is in the spell checker........I hate that blxxdy spell checker ROFL.....at least for once it is someone else being picked on... :angel:

Have you brought any corrugated iron lately? £32 pounds per sheet, I am not paying that. I need two sheets for the platelayers hut, as there is a big hole in the sleepers and the window frame has rotted and the glass has dropped out. So as I am not as rich as Bill Gates, it's time to make some.

Out to the freezer and get a Cornetto (other frozen goodies are available) unwrap your Cornetto and eat, then get a block of wood, superglue some left over bits of piano wire to it, and it let dry. Next take a piece of your Cornetto wrapper and lightly sand the silver surface so that the paint will stick.

Lay your bit of wrapper over the wire and rub it firmly all over with your finger. then give it a light spray with some grey primer, and cut to size.

Some pictures of the process, sorry I do not have enough Cornetto's to share out.

sheeesh you know this is going to cause a run on cornettos, and for those of us who just want to eat them...choc and nut ice-cream mmmmmmmmm.......where will we be!!!!!  :butcher:

All this clever inventiveness is all very well......but cornetto paper!!!!! Your blxxdy genius.... :sungum:

hmmmm that said.....what a sneaky way to get the wife to buy you cornettos...... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

LOL I'm guessing Adam being in the bible is in the spell checker........I hate that blxxdy spell checker ROFL.....at least for once it is someone else being picked on... :angel:

Apologies, Adrian, I had just been distracted by an email from an Adam when I posted...

sheeesh you know this is going to cause a run on cornettos, and for those of us who just want to eat them...choc and nut ice-cream mmmmmmmmm.......where will we be!!!!!  :butcher:

Send me your address and I'll post all the Cornettos which I've unwrapped to get the paper ;)

BTW, reminds me of my parents' horror when I mistook Elvis's "It's Now Or Never" for "The Cornetto music" when I was a nipper.  My late and rather intellectually superior Uncle used to express similar horror re Elvis and "O Sole Mio"...

• RMweb Gold

Typical, this must be the only platelayers hut in the world to have a wooden bridge gauge tied to the front of it, so it's something else to make from cut down and thinned coffee stirrers (what a suprise) I have also added some bits of additional timber that had been added to the hut over the years to hold the corrugated iron

over the window, and around the edge of the roof. Next will be the chimney and the final painting.

post-17489-0-81390300-1411663983_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-72115400-1411664012_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-89406500-1411664032_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-19080500-1411664058_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-84674500-1411664130_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-59332300-1411664160_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Poor thing will look ready to be torn down and replaced..... :jester:

...Hey.......there's no guano....surely this old building would have some?That said I just looked at our roof, and theres none....perhaps the rain washes it away......ooh maybe thats why you sometimes see in explicable white lines down buildings...... :O

looking goooooood... :sungum:

• Like 1

Poor thing will look ready to be torn down and replaced..... :jester:

...Hey.......there's no guano....surely this old building would have some?That said I just looked at our roof, and theres none....perhaps the rain washes it away......ooh maybe thats why you sometimes see in explicable white lines down buildings...... :O

looking goooooood... :sungum:

Here are  3. for you to sample

Once again, Adrian,...............excellent...........

Not for nothing was this known as  .....

15172708827_1ef3335921_b.jpg
St Eval Crow-splat church by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

That white stuff down the Tower is definitely NOT from the mortar!   ...............    :jester:  :jester:

and it's not as if   ......................

...Hey.......there's no guano....surely this old building would have some?That said I just looked at our roof, and theres none....perhaps the rain washes it away..

................    Cornwall doesn't have a plentiful supply of the vertical wet stuff   ...........      :nono:

Your ability to knock these things up so quickly is annoyingly impressive.

Brilliant work as always Adrian :)

Nestor

I look forward to see picture's of Westerham in next month's BRM,

Akin to winning the Lottery,.............................. having heard, you  ticked the No Publicity box,

I have, a spare room, in a secret location,.............until the publicity dies down..............

You maybe able to settle down and take you mind off thing's.....................

By finishing all the minor detail's, that is required on DP,............

after a year or so............... :paint: .......... :senile:  

Keep them coming Adrian.........

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been giving this subject of corruagted iron some further thoughts with the cooler nights of autumn/winter drawing on as I do not fancy the idea of lots of Cornettos in order to gain enough material to do a whole building roof. Therefore we are going this week to invest on one of those ASDA large family meat pies (other pies are available), as the thicker grade large metal foil tray looks like it might be just the answer. Not to mention I do like a nice meat pie with extra gravy for supper! Besides after your post recently I have heard there has been a run on Cornettos from middle aged men all across the country. So I thought I should start another trend in pies...

Kevin

• Like 3

I have been giving this subject of corruagted iron some further thoughts with the cooler nights of autumn/winter drawing on as I do not fancy the idea of lots of Cornettos in order to gain enough material to do a whole building roof. Therefore we are going this week to invest on one of those ASDA large family meat pies (other pies are available), as the thicker grade large metal foil tray looks like it might be just the answer. Not to mention I do like a nice meat pie with extra gravy for supper! Besides after your post recently I have heard there has been a run on Cornettos from middle aged men all across the country. So I thought I should start another trend in pies...

Kevin

I absolutely love Adrian's thrifty modelling - and the cornettos idea greatly appeals to my sweet tooth (but not to my ever expanding waistline)

If I may be so bold, I have another suggestion - The tin foil serving trays you can use for parties etc - you can get them from the pound shop and they are readily embossable:

I made this hut using the technique I describe here:

http://lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-joy-of-sheds.html

Lee

• Like 1