Peco launch RTR 009 range

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

. But the rolling stock was "forced" out by the monstrosity of Warley. Where all the big players have to announce something new or the rumour mill will start suggesting they are going under.

No actually it wasn't, I talked to Andrew Burnham and it was intended to be announced in the magazine not at the show but they fell behind and didn't make the deadline for publication so decided once they arrived to show them there anyway.

Quite funny too as Peco have been accused in the past of not making big announcements at Warley where others do! ;)

Peco know what they're doing and are quite amused by the speculation, and pleased, they made no secret that they are talking to others about producing a loco but they do not intend at present to lead it but may enter into a partnership if it's right. They are prepared to further the idea but they feel others have better knowledge and facilities for loco production and are conscious no doubt that that would be cheaper than going it alone and spending money making known mistakes. That's why Peco has built up the huge range of brands under it's umbrella and kept many items available long after their original owners would have ceased production.

Peco has quietly supported the hobby for years with a permanent exhibition, popular magazine and worldwide respected track range and been successful. I think they will have answered all the questions above when deciding on their plan and that's their cash and opinion which seems to have worked well so far. ;)

No actually it wasn't, I talked to Andrew Burnham and it was intended to be announced in the magazine not at the show but they fell behind and didn't make the deadline for publication so decided once they arrived to show them there anyway.

Quite funny too as Peco have been accused in the past of not making big announcements at Warley where others do!

Thanks for that correction and inside knowledge.

It is just without that information, I was basing my take on the situation on the announcement. It does not change my view of the selection of prototype (I'm afraid nothing will change that, though accept some will like it and buy them) or the (apparent) lack of RTR loco. Though as I have added above, it is merely based on what we know now and not what developments might be revealed in the coming months.

Where does this stuff about news being 'forced' out and 'monstrosity of Warley' come from!!

I can understand the Warley reference - if you're there it's all to easy to get swept up by the hype around new announcements.

perhaps its a tactical decision to lure people who'd been thinking about 009 (such as myself) who have been put off by having to scratch or kit build everything.

Now a newcomer need only build a loco instead of an endless run of kits to make a fleet of rolling stock, once one loco is built, another may follow, or kits of other pieces of rolling stock.

or as someone else has already said, a loco acquired on e-bay to complete a train of RTR leading to having a go at kit building.

I think it's a real positive that ready to run 009 wagons are being produced so a huge well done to all involved at PECO. However why do you think they decided to make SR and L&BR rolling stock when Glyn valley Stock would have at least complimented their existing Glyn Valley Tramway engine and to my mind been the next step in their 00-9 production?

Could be that L&B is better known at the moment. Perhaps they will produce GVT stuff later on when the GVT trust start running public trains or something. Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

Earlier today, my RM subscription arrived through the letterbox with a satisfying thud, and some interesting news, in my excitement I first looked in this thread but no mention of this big news revealed within.

So, I did a quick search and found it discussed here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68054-ready-to-run-oo9-loco-from-Heljan/

Heljan RTR 009 L&B Loco(s)!!

Angus

• RMweb Premium

Today the first ones came .......... and went.Here are the SR ones.

post-6821-0-85530500-1361056329_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-56536900-1361056344_thumb.jpg

The couplings are all plastic, and fit into fixed NEM355 pockets.This means you can do this with, with N gauge couplings.

post-6821-0-02793700-1361056366_thumb.jpg

They feel a bit light.The van is easy to weight as the roof is a separate part, not glued on.

Re My post stating that HATTONS advised me they would not be stocking the L&B wagons , (this info being recvd by me an 18 FEB)

I note that  they are now listing  the  2  twin packs on their website! As a presell item  at £23.00

Maybe that's an indication of customer demand. Could be enough people have requested them for Hattons to change their mind, which if true is a healthy sign for the future of the range.

My copy of the latest Model Rail arrived yesterday, with a picture of the Peco L&B coaches - they look very nice too.

Maybe that's an indication of customer demand. Could be enough people have requested them for Hattons to change their mind, which if true is a healthy sign for the future of the range.

My copy of the latest Model Rail arrived yesterday, with a picture of the Peco L&B coaches - they look very nice too.

Agreed,  all that we will need  now apart  from  Coaches, are some of the  bogie wagons  and  of  course  the  Heljan Loco  Hopefully  someone  may perhaps produce 'LYN'

I have  dug  my  1996 book out!!

post-10539-0-13103000-1361276865.jpg

post-10539-0-45477000-1361276877.jpg

Archived