Peco launch RTR 009 range

Andy Y

Take a  look  at  Winco's  website  www.winco.uk.com  and  select  the  H0e  pages  and  compare  the  prices of  bogie Austrian  NG  coaches, it makes the  Peco L&B coaches look  very reasonable, especially if  the  Hattons price  quoted previously  is correct.

The above  link appears not to work from  here  but  it  is  the  correct address for  Winco

• RMweb Premium

Correct link for Winco is:

http://www.winco.uk.com

Steve, your actual link is slightly different to the text shown. Hover over the link and you will see it's missing the 'uk' bit before '.com'  :-)

I've just had a look at some of the stuff on that site. Its brilliant, however my wallet has just done a runner.

Owen

I've just had a look at some of the stuff on that site. Its brilliant, however my wallet has just done a runner.

Owen

Yes the  H0e  stuff does  become  quite  addictive,  the  locos  run  impeccably  ( should  do  at  the  price!!)  luckily  you dont  need  whole  fleets of them  3  or 4 suffices!!

It will be interesting to see the price of the loco, especially as Bemo's L45H/Lxd2 is retailing at around the £200 mark, and that's for a diesel!

Some  H0e   comparisons:

Roco  0-8+4 TT  loco  around  £250,    Roco  passenger  car   Around  £39.00  and a  Halling  2093 B0-B0  Diesel  £180

post-10539-0-11533400-1379779363.jpg

post-10539-0-82741600-1379779462.jpg

post-10539-0-61716300-1379779472.jpg

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that. For what are limited market models the prices charged by the likes of Roco and Lilliput are very reasonable. Granted Bemo can be a little higher but on the whole the price of HOe is quite reasonable especially bearing in mind that the market is nowhere near as big as SG N or HO and so the manufacturers don't get the advantage of large sales. I own several hand built coaches in HOe that cost around the £50 mark, which for the quality of them I regard as very reasonable... Now bear in mind that the market for Peco's and Heljan's models are going to be far more limited than the HOe offerings I think Peco's prices are about right, if anything on the low side bearing in mind the limited market... It's high time that people who model in 009 realise that if they want decent RTR then they have to pay the going rate for it and not the price they'd pay to make a crude bash of an N gauge loco/coach/wagon...

Perhaps realism has arrived at last...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today the Peco L & B coach arrived. Very impressed with it.

Here are a few photos around and inside the coach.

Gorgeous, Ian!

Having this week travelled on both Welsh Highland and Festiniog Railways, and watched Lyd come across the Cob at Porthmadog, the appeal of UK NG is very much with me. Peco should expect to sell as many of these as they can make.

• RMweb Gold

I see an explosion of L & B based layouts heading towards many shows especially when the Heljan loco appears.

My plan is to build a model of Blackmoor Gate but with so many other projects on the go or planned I am not sure when that will materialise. It could even be a module to slot in place of 'Santa Banbury' but I fear that with such a large fiddle yard we my end up with many non L & B trains!

Ian

I see an explosion of L & B based layouts heading towards many shows especially when the Heljan loco appears.

The wagons at least are slow selling according to one trader I spoke to the other week, not that surprising that given the lack of a rtr loco; anyone who can put together a Blackwoods loco will have easilly assembled in all likelihood the wagons and coaches they need. Just hope that the Heljan loco turns up before Peco get cold feet over the project like the N Collett Goods, just how many more would they have sold if they were not dcc fitted, and how much more accurate the tender could have been.

• RMweb Gold

Obviously depends which shop you talk to there are several who can't get enough, and they seemd to vanish quick from some of the big retailers too  ;) My local only managed to get the pre ordered ones, no extras available on the initial releases the rep said they'll have to wait for the second round as all the suffix codes are standard catalogue items not limited editions. The A suffix for the individual wagons will be the same as the original twin set numbers,(it was only the twin set packaging that was limited as it was using up the stock left over from the Collet Goods). The traders on NGRM seem to think they are going well too. The chap from Peco certainly seems happy with how they are going so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried fitting metal wheels to the L&B coach? I have swapped the factory fitted plastic ones for Graham Farish 379-412 N-gauge coach wheels and they don't spin freely. 

If you have a mini drill and a small bit  try  gently  'deepening.' the  axle holes in the bogie sideframes,   we  do it   with  H0e rolling  stock and it  works.

Actually   you can achieve the same  result  by  simply  using a very small cross head  screwdriver as a hand-  gouger- outer of a bit of  plastic!!

• 1 month later...

Archived