Peco launch RTR 009 range

Andy Y

FYI, we haven't had ours in yet as they are due in tomorrow. But we have just had the rep pop by from Peco and he allowed me take some snaps which are now on our website if you want a look at both sets of wagons... They look very nice!

http://www.footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_102

We will have them at the Glasgow show hopefully!!!

Rich

Footplate

Any chance of doing the poll not on facebook - I dont underdstand facebook and am not going to join it - I think Im not alone in that in the over 45 bracket

I  second  that,  me  and a few  others I know  have discontined using  Facebook,  maonly  realising  the  time  that  is  wasted  doing  so, so yes  a  straight  poll please

I dont underdstand facebook and am not going to join it - I think Im not alone in that in the over 45 bracket

I do understand it, and I'm in the under 45 bracket, but I think it's the most hateful thing I've ever experienced! A truly frightful place populated largely (but not exclusively) by frightful people. So yes, I too would like the poll somewhere other than Facebook please.

:derisive:  There's not really any need to do a poll, it's already been discussed many times especially on the NGRM forum and I think on here as well and the answer is always that no-one has the same view of what should be next!!!

General consensus is that it should be something that could be used on several different railways... The problem is that British NG railways weren't standardised so each did it's own thing though there were some locos that made it to several, good examples being the ex WW1 locos... No doubt we could do the same thing on here and ask people but it'll be like re-inventing the wheel and with the same result! "Footplate" may I suggest you go onto the NGRM forum (you'll need to sign up, but it's well worth it!) and have a look and you'll see what i mean...

I'm (well) over 45, I (more or less) understand Facebook, and I use it quite extensively, although I've not used this poll app. before. (It isn't a FB- provided facility)

I won't be voting, for several of the reasons given above, BUT I must commend Footplate - as a model railway retailer - for embracing social media in this way. The model railway hobby as a whole NEEDS to appeal much more to the younger generation, most of whom are well versed in the black magic that is Facebook, Twitter et. al.

As for what I would like to see? well as a died-in-the-wool L&B fan, I'm very pleased with what is on offer so far, so MORE OF THE SAME PLEASE! :)

This thread seems to have gone quiet; I'll give it a kick up the tender by saying I've pre-ordered my SR liveried wagons from Hatton's, and these will be my first narrow-gauge purchase. I suppose I'd better buy some track now, and maybe look for a book or two on the L&B.

• RMweb Gold

If you want a good overall book then this one,

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/shop/bp+r

Or the Oakwood

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/shop/catchpole

Are probably the best two, the L&B's own series of softback books also come highly recommended and for drawings for modelling the definitive drawn and described book just published is excellent. All available from the L&B's own online shop. ;)

I have just received my wagons and was surprised (not disappointed!) to find that they have plastic wheels. Is this common for 009 wagons, does it increase the friction noticeably? Does anyone know if metal wheels are available separately?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Matabiau

Its is common as these Peco ones are the first ever RTR wagons for 009, however all my kit built stuff has metal wheels. I have to say I was expecting it when I recieved mine as most Peco n gauge wagons have plastic wheels and they seem to run ok.

If you are desperate to replace them you could try Parkside Dundas, as they supply L & B wagon kits with metal wheels

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm the Farish 379-412 wheels are a perfect fit and improve the free wheeling of the wagons a treat. I doubt there would have been much problem with the plastic ones, the wagons are so light the friction on the axles wouldn't cause much drag. 

Thank you all for your help.

I doubt there would have been much problem with the plastic ones

I don't think it is drag that is the issue. It is pretty well accepted that plastic wheels are common carriers of dirt around the track, I am surprised that any rtr is produced with them these days. Extra expense and trouble to convert.

The sharp points of the metal axles maintain their spikes better and as such offer less resistance to rotation. The change of wheelsets made the wagons  freewheel better than the plastic originals. This is a feature of plastic axles that degrades quickly with time. On heavier wagons the plastic wheels have a habit of deforming too making it harder for the wheels to turn. Dirt on the track is a more immediate problem, I agree, and something that the plastic wheels pick up and distribute worse than their metal counterparts. Double the reason for changing!

• RMweb Gold

Is there still a plan to release them painted with no lettering?

Yes the single wagons unlettered and lettered are due soon followed by the coaches. David from Peco confirmed on NGRM online.

Archived