Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

I'd agree wholeheartedly that where not damaged, the detail on the O2 models looks very good indeed. It will be too late to change it now I imagine, but regarding the motion bracket I wish Heljan had taken a leaf out of Bachmann's book rather than Hornby's. The curved top corner to the bracket where the metal forming it is simply bent under the running plate to create the stretcher isn't nearly so good looking as a good sharp edge butting tightly up to the angle of the running plate. Now if only they were to put the drive onto the third coupled axle to keep maximum free space under the boiler.......

Kim told me, when we photographed the models for Model Rail, that we must be sure to point out that 'the valve gear on both models is upside down' and Heljan is aware of that...

But you are going to be kind to Kim aren't you, and tell your readers that it is the coupling rods that are on upside down, as already mentioned earlier in this thread, probably by Tony Wright. It would be pretty difficult to put the valve gear parts on upside down... (Since I don't know the Danish for coupling rod and valve gear, I don't feel we can be overly critical of a Dane mixing up the English terms.)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

But you are going to be kind to Kim aren't you, and tell your readers that it is the coupling rods that are on upside down, as already mentioned earlier in this thread, probably by Tony Wright. It would be pretty difficult to put the valve gear parts on upside down... (Since I don't know the Danish for coupling rod and valve gear, I don't feel we can be overly critical of a Dane mixing up the English terms.)

post-18225-0-87627700-1419804493_thumb.jpg

The coupling rods are still upside-down, even on this third sample. However, a great deal has been sorted out on this O2/3, photographed today, and it's not too far off being right.

More on Wright Writes.................

And the motor? Are we to be spared the debacle of the Hattons BG ?

I'll be surprised if there is any trouble, based on my small sampling of Heljan models. Reasons as follows: 

Heljan know how to engineer a model drive train.(I think based on the photos of the components on 'Wright Writes' possibly gear driven to all axles.)

This loco has only one driven chassis. (The B-G has two motors with worm drive, each in a separate chassis, not a recipe for maximum reliability in my opinion.)

Their motors have generally been no more troublesome than those of  other makers. (If they use the same small round can motor found in the Class 15 diesel that's a very sweet running unit; by external appearance this appears to be the same motor used in the B-G.)

Still waiting for solid information about the root cause(s) of the trouble some users have had with the B-G. It should be kept in mind that motors can be brought to failure for reasons other than a fault on the motor; and without the evidence of cause a burnt out motor does not necessarily point to a motor fault. That information is for Hattons to provide: if they choose to share the information. They don't have to, they can completely fulfill their obligations to the customer by replacement or refund and say absolutely nowt.

• 3 months later...

I have just had emails from Hattons to inform me that various O2s I have on order are expected to be delivered in Nov 2015, and Jan 2016.

Lovely.

I can allow myself a little bit of excited anticipation now.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

For completeness, and to tie the threads together:

New photographs of the latest iteration of Hejan's O2 were posted last week on page 326 of the Peterborough North thread here on RMweb at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18451-peterborough-north/page-326

and at page 213 of Wright Writes here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page-213

John

• 1 month later...

Mark,

sorry no photographs but I must say it looks superb and will be running on the layout Sutton tomorrow which is also at the show. Another great layout that is about 25-30 years old,but looks as good now as when I first saw it as a wee boy in the early 1990's.   It will look more appropriate tomorrow with it's Br Black & Late Crest.

Regards,Derek.

I Read on this forum that the latest incarnation of the Heljan 02 with some decoration is to be seen running on Grantham at the Grantham show.

Photos please when possible.

mark

I am pleased to be able to provide some images of the Heljan Tango running on Grantham at the Grantham MRC Show last weekend.............................what better place and event for it to run!

Also attached are some images of a few of the bodyshells showing some of the livery variations that will be available on the initial releases. Thanks go to Graham Nicholas (LNER 4479) for allowing Heljan to display these on such an outstanding layout.  There are a few others which I shall post on the Grantham thread. Excuse the quality as they were taken on my phone and in no way match the quality of Tony Wright's!

post-4697-0-61903500-1442317595.jpgpost-4697-0-72663300-1442317680.jpgpost-4697-0-85410300-1442317697.jpgpost-4697-0-16366600-1442317730.jpgpost-4697-0-60285900-1442317764.jpgpost-4697-0-83533400-1442317803.jpgpost-4697-0-65239900-1442317841.jpg

• Like 14

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

See post 6299 on 'Wright writes' for a photograph and the latest on the O2. Tony Wright says "Speaking of Heljan's forthcoming O2, this is the last of the pre-production samples. It's been signed-off and should be in mass-production by now."

John

• RMweb Gold

See post 6299 on 'Wright writes' for a photograph and the latest on the O2. Tony Wright says "Speaking of Heljan's forthcoming O2, this is the last of the pre-production samples. It's been signed-off and should be in mass-production by now."

John

Fingers crossed that Heljan will use a decent motor this time round.

• RMweb Gold

Fingers crossed that Heljan will use a decent motor this time round.

Can someone, anyone, not get one and test it to destruction please. It will save a lot of people of lot of time and trouble!

I think from the look of it, it is another of those motors, but hope to be proven wrong.

With regards,

Rob.

Can someone, anyone, not get one and test it to destruction please. It will save a lot of people of lot of time and trouble!

I think from the look of it, it is another of those motors, but hope to be proven wrong.

With regards,

Rob.

That's exactly why this sample has been so long in testing...................................we haven't been able to destroy it!

It has been tried on various large layouts with big loads and continuous running, stall tested and forgotten about and it still runs perfectly. It hasn't even run hot at any time. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
That's exactly why this sample has been so long in testing...................................we haven't been able to destroy it!

It has been tried on various large layouts with big loads and continuous running, stall tested and forgotten about and it still runs perfectly. It hasn't even run hot at any time.

[/quot

That is the kind of news we need to read.Thank you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What is this about poor Heljan motors?

From reports I read, the class 17 has a binding gearbox fault which caused motor burnout?

With the BG, various valve gear faults etc were the culprit, not the motors?

Or am I missing something...

Stewart

There is an extensive dialogue on the BG thread with regard to the motors.

What is this about poor Heljan motors?

From reports I read, the class 17 has a binding gearbox fault which caused motor burnout?

With the BG, various valve gear faults etc were the culprit, not the motors?

Or am I missing something...

Stewart

Opinions seem to differ - but at this price http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS-Micro-High-power-DC-Motor-1230-12mmx40mm-12V-15000RPM-N60-0-05A/32343310777.html a little insurance can be no bad thing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

There is an extensive dialogue on the BG thread with regard to the motors.

I'm aware of that, having contributed. But if you read in depth, I don't think there is a single motor failure in its own right; some have failed but the cause of failure was by something else stalling it?

Stewart

I'm aware of that, having contributed. But if you read in depth, I don't think there is a single motor failure in its own right; some have failed but the cause of failure was by something else stalling it?

Stewart

The issue with the valve gear on the BG was something we were not willing to see repeated so the method of securing the return crank was amended and so far has proved a successful mod. During testing of about seven different pre-production samples we have not had any motor problems. We have been quite proactive in ensuring this locomotive runs on all types of track and of the many layouts it had been a guest on there was only one that it couldn't negotiate the pointwork on and that was due to a fault on the points. Obviously the extended testing has caused a delay in bringing the product into production but hopefully it will be worth the wait!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stewart

I don't see any conclusive reason given for motor failure to be honest. There's a lot of reasonable conjecture ....the grease being one. But Hattons above all have remained silent on what might have been the underlying cause and at least a few have tried a replacement motor with success.The motors have failed in a number of instances and I do not think it unreasonable to query the units being placed in the O2 as this is Heljan's first mainstream steam OO gauge model. We now have reassurance in post 118,which is the best possible news.