Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

Sorry if it was supposed to be regulator one side wouldn't be behind a gauge and painted Brass . As its a sample they probably forgot to mould a location hole and glue one on as well !! :jester:  :jester: = whoops !!

I look forward to the finished article we can judge better then.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no.

They are not the models that I have pre-ordered.  My wait will have to continue.

But, if anyone has ordered 3910, 3911 or 3921 then please let us know what you think (with photos if possible) when you get them.

I wonder how long before the sad begin to denegrate the model and demonstrate how much they know about very little?

Well, I'm not denigrating the model, but I hope that this photo from the Rails web-site is of a development sample and not the final model.

post-2274-0-58349900-1453375835_thumb.jpg

Chimney?

Front of frames above footplate?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately some bad news about both the running of the O2 and handrail issues.

I have been in Rails this afternoon. I have spoken with with some very helpful people there. The first thing said was that there are the issues with the motors on this first batch to be delivered.

They are either dead or not running properly. Handrails have either knobs missing or are not fitted at all, the rear of the tenders are particularly badly affected.

Of the O2 s delivered, and he said they had received 100 in this first batch 60 of them have had to be failed - motor problems being the big concern.

Some have already been returned. I saw two bring tested in the shop. Then ran better forward than backwards. The motors had a bit of a grinding sound to.them. Also of those two, one had a handrail knob missing on the smokebox door.

So this first batch is potentially, one to beware of. I came away empty handed. Of those that were considered acceptable, they are going out on pre orders.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that informative and valuable posting. Here we go again ! My worst fears are confirmed.Despite assurances that all would be well this time,they are not.Much expertise and knowledge from LNER enthusiasts in the UK went into the development of this model.How very disappointing it must be for them.But given Heljan's recent track record with the BG,it comes as no surprise.

Very disappointing news to hear from Rails. I was going to cancel my pre-order of the Kernow's GWR 1361 following me seeing their pre-production model. Following me reading Rails predicament with Tango however, I think I'll keep my pre-order open with Kernow for now...

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It does seem that every retailer will have to go through the procedure of testing every single O2.

If I do decide to purchase one, I would like to see it tested before making the purchase.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing. A number come off the production line with the same fault and all get boxed into the same big brown cardboard box which therefore end up being delivered to one retailer.

So,what you are posting is that these faults are confined to just one retailer? I'd be interested in hearing of your precedent for that information.

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick glance at two of the BR versions in Gaugemaster's shop today.  The thing that struck me was how bad the numbering looks - too yellow and too large - I'm not qualified to comment on the font.  That too reminds me of the BR BGs, whose numbers were way over-scale.  A simple thing to get right, you might think.  Ha.  

Is there any advantage in arguing about the question of whether the faults will be batch-wide or confined to just one retailers delivery when there is so little evidence thus far to support either case?

The possibility of widespread trouble must be a great disappointment to those ( and one person in particular I believe) who put a lot of effort into getting this model produced.

Purchased early crest one today, seems to run fine forwards, possibly a little noisier in reverse.

Had the keeper plate off, to find another underneath with the pick ups on, took that off and reveals 2.5mm driving axles.

Re assembled, and noticed that the rear axle would not revolve, so backed off the keeper plate screws half a turn, and ran ok again.

Wonder if the issues mentioned above relate to these screws being too tight? Just a thought.

The engine tender drawbar looks interesting......apart from being rather long in my opinion, it seems to be permanently wired!

So,what you are posting is that these faults are confined to just one retailer? I'd be interested in hearing of your precedent for that information.

Just trawl through the forum and see how many people have bought loco x from retailer y only to find it and all the others at retailer y to be faulty while others bought elsewhere are okay. I am not saying only Rails have faulty ones but if a batch comes off the production line with a fault then that batch is going to end up in the same big brown box(es) and consequently all get delivered to the same retailer(s). Way back in 1971 I found all the Triang Hornby 9Fs in one shop to be faulty yet those in another shop were okay. Edited by Butler Henderson

Purchased early crest one today, seems to run fine forwards, possibly a little noisier in reverse.

Had the keeper plate off, to find another underneath with the pick ups on, took that off and reveals 2.5mm driving axles.

Re assembled, and noticed that the rear axle would not revolve, so backed off the keeper plate screws half a turn, and ran ok again.

Wonder if the issues mentioned above relate to these screws being too tight? Just a thought.

The engine tender drawbar looks interesting......apart from being rather long in my opinion, it seems to be permanently wired!

It would not be the first time over tightened screws caused a model to run bad, or worse cause unneeded strain on the drive and motor. This would certainly cause the motor to rapidly overheat and die out.

The early descriptions look like a repeat of some of the Garret issues (though I have not had issues with mine - yet) only on a larger scale. Do their European range have the same issues? Even if these models are cheaper than them, it does not seem to compare well with other big UK outline freight locos, being a little more expensive yet not as refined.

Edited by JSpencer