Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

Fingers crossed that it is as some have posted a superior model.At that asking price,it has to be.I hope so but until I take a long hard look and I'm confident of its finish and performance,I will wait.

Ian with respect I find your post a little strange. "Rails" are asking £147.50 for the Heljan O2  and for the Bachmann A2 Pearl Diver or Trimbush £144.46. A difference of £3.04 . Therefore to me it would appear that the going price for these types of Loco is about £140 - £150 and if we want these types of Loco's that's what we will have to pay,like it or not.

I guess the days of cheap loco's are well and truly gone.

Regards,Derek..

The Heljan Facebook site advises that the first releases of the 02 (doesn't say which liveries/numbers) are expected at the end of January (2016)

The December shipment turned out to be the class 27's but the Tango's have also been despatched and should arrive in Denmark by the end of January. Once they have been inspected they will be released to the UK retailers. The original target date for these was by the end of March 2016 so they are virtually on schedule.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian with respect I find your post a little strange. "Rails" are asking £147.50 for the Heljan O2  and for the Bachmann A2 Pearl Diver or Trimbush £144.46. A difference of £3.04 . Therefore to me it would appear that the going price for these types of Loco is about £140 - £150 and if we want these types of Loco's that's what we will have to pay,like it or not.

I guess the days of cheap loco's are well and truly gone.

Regards,Derek..

No,I don't think so. ...not if it is compared with the Hornby O1 say. ...admittedly a model that was developed a while back but which is an admirable model and an excellent performer. What perhaps I should have emphasised is that I need to be sure that it is indeed of such excellence that I will be happy to part with the money asked. Bachmann's pricing on reruns of older models is entirely another matter and I am not in the market for any of them nor will I be at those asking prices.In a nutshell  for me it needs to stand apart as  a model of special  quality.If we are making comparisons with regard to quality and price,you might take a look at the thread on the new Class 24 by Rail Exclusive which weighs in at £169 ( well it did for me as a previous customer ) and which raises the bar on quality in so many ways.Yes I am prepared to pay but first I'll make damned sure it's worth it.

• Like 1

No,I don't think so. ...not if it is compared with the Hornby O1 say. ...admittedly a model that was developed a while back but which is an admirable model and an excellent performer. What perhaps I should have emphasised is that I need to be sure that it is indeed of such excellence that I will be happy to part with the money asked. Bachmann's pricing on reruns of older models is entirely another matter and I am not in the market for any of them nor will I be at those asking prices.In a nutshell  for me it needs to stand apart as  a model of special  quality.If we are making comparisons with regard to quality and price,you might take a look at the thread on the new Class 24 by Rail Exclusive which weighs in at £169 ( well it did for me as a previous customer ) and which raises the bar on quality in so many ways.Yes I am prepared to pay but first I'll make damned sure it's worth it.

Yes well. the  new Class 24 by Rail Exclusive.

Well it is something to put it mildly. I am more a kettle guy and now a 7mm Man,but this is a superb model at a price that really is not unreasonable. The old saying is everything will sell if the price is right applies here. This will sellout rapidly.
If I had one negative thing to say it is Laser Cut windows, but that is being ultra critical after seeing a very close up photograph.

Good Luck to Rail Exclusive is all I can say.
Kind regards,Derek.

Yes well. the  new Class 24 by Rail Exclusive.

Well it is something to put it mildly. I am more a kettle guy and now a 7mm Man,but this is a superb model at a price that really is not unreasonable. The old saying is everything will sell if the price is right applies here. This will sellout rapidly.
If I had one negative thing to say it is Laser Cut windows, but that is being ultra critical after seeing a very close up photograph.

Good Luck to Rail Exclusive is all I can say.
Kind regards,Derek.

I think we can be assured about the mechanical system testing of the 02, based on Brush Veteran's post on this thread:

'Post 124 Brush Veteran'The issue with the valve gear on the BG was something we were not willing to see repeated so the method of securing the return crank was amended and so far has proved a successful mod. During testing of about seven different pre-production samples we have not had any motor problems. We have been quite proactive in ensuring this locomotive runs on all types of track and of the many layouts it had been a guest on there was only one that it couldn't negotiate the pointwork on and that was due to a fault on the points. Obviously the extended testing has caused a delay in bringing the product into production but hopefully it will be worth the wait!

The production samples have been well tested according to this info and it suggests to me that the problems with the BG from Heljan's research, were related to the valve gear locking up, which could burn out motors connected to that wheelset, as that seems to be the area that Heljan have concentrated their work with the 02. I suspect the handrails will be bare metal, based on the BG, but nothing that a lick of satin black and satin varnish won't cover.

I think Alan Gibson is going to be doing a roaring trade in pony wheels.........

I can't see too much wrong with that pony wheel, but then my eyesight these days is not what it was

post-4474-0-58426900-1452164419.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just received from Hattons:

"Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id 1714545, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Heljan 3922 Class 02/4 Tango 2-8-0 63975 in BR black with late crest with flush tender £148.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Monday 22nd February 2016

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways"

...If we are making comparisons with regard to quality and price,you might take a look at the thread on the new Class 24 by Rail Exclusive which weighs in at £169 ( well it did for me as a previous customer ) and which raises the bar on quality in so many ways...

...and visibly falls short against best in class achievements in other respects. For sure make your own decision, based on a perception of the value of the qualities on offer for the money.

For those wanting a Gresley O2 it is this RTR model or a kit build.  Since it convincingly has the bones of the O2 about it as far as appearance is concerned, and an experienced modeller group have had examples running on extended test, it looks a worhtwhile deal to me at the proposed price. I have always assumed that Heljan sell nothing like the volume Hornby place in the market, that alone enough to account for a price differential between what are comparable models.

• Like 3

I think Alan Gibson is going to be doing a roaring trade in pony wheels.........

I don't think AGW produces that particular 2'8" LNE pattern. Exactoscale (C&L) does, but you need an expensive tool to assemble it. Ultrascale produces an "almost" wheel in the correct diameter, but you'll be waiting six months.....

I have just noticed in the cab view of post 162. The regulator should be the single centrally pivoted type , on the O2/3&4 at least,and not the type rather poorly represented , which is moor like on the pacifics plus some other classes . The firehole door ....well I have to say it is a disappointment. It should be the oval side hinged type with a swivelling flap pivoted horizontally across the middle,as on all other ER/LNER engines as far as I know.

Overall the model is excellent and of course there will always be little things that we can alter if we don't like them. But that's an LMS type door surely !    really!

Roy.

I have just noticed in the cab view of post 162. The regulator should be the single centrally pivoted type , on the O2/3&4 at least,and not the type rather poorly represented , which is moor like on the pacifics plus some other classes . The firehole door ....well I have to say it is a disappointment. It should be the oval side hinged type with a swivelling flap pivoted horizontally across the middle,as on all other ER/LNER engines as far as I know.

Overall the model is excellent and of course there will always be little things that we can alter if we don't like them. But that's an LMS type door surely !    really!

Roy.

Looks like pipework to me, I cannot see any regulator at all.

Looks like pipework to me, I cannot see any regulator at all.

It does resemble pipework but it is probably supposed to represent the dual pill-out regulator as on the Gresley A1's etc. A spot of silver paint will pick it out from copper piping. On the otherhand, a spot of modelling with brass bar and rod should sort it good and proper.