Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I would like to say thank you for that reassurance.  It means a lot, for we can all confidently purchase our Gresley O2 Tango's, when they become available, confident that they will run, and run well. Many thanks again for that.

With best regards,

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

They look like Hornby O1's to me.

They are Hornby O1s. 

I still have the running pre-production sample of Heljan's O2/3 (of course you know that Grahame). 

If anyone would like to see it (running when it gets a chance), it'll be at the Wolverhampton Show (Wednesfield High School, Lichfield Road, Wednesfield) over the weekend and at Spalding next weekend. It'll finally leave my charge at the Warley Show.

I've noted a few comments about potential 'motor failure' with Heljan locos. May I assure readers that the O2/3 runs superbly? I cannot comment about the Beyer Garratt (other than one hauled a hundred wagons on my railway with ease), but over the last month I've had the pre-production O2 and have run it on many occasions when guests arrive. It hauls 40+ kit-built wagons with ease (in this respect it has the edge in pulling power over its RTR contemporaries; just) and is silky-smooth. Any valve gear problems (were there any with the Garratt?) have been sorted out after extensive testing and recommendations. I should point out that there was an issue with the fixing of the return crank on the early pre-production samples. I took photographs and made a modification. The result, the production models will all have the substantial return crank fixing which won't fail, nor come out of the wheel. In a way, one need not have mentioned any early problems, because purchasers won't have a clue otherwise. It's just that I think it should be made known how extensive the testing was off this model. 

I should also point out that I have no connection with the firm at all; I've been asked to be a 'consultant' (apologies for the potential pomposity) throughout the loco's development and my advice (and the considerable advice from others) has always been taken on board and acted upon.

When the production samples arrive, though I might well photograph them for BRM (and write the class history) I will not, for obvious reasons, write the review.  

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

There should be a batch arriving in Denmark for distribution to retailers by 15th December with the balance of the first issues arriving in mid January.

As previously mentioned there are three pre-production samples on the Heljan stand.

My credit card is going to take an extra pounding this Christmas, it would seem.

Oh well, let's just hope Mrs J does not look too closely at the 2016 statements....

Looking at the photos, I still have my doubts about the size, colour and font of the numbering. No real biggy in the scheme of things, just a little annoying. Ah well, out with the HMRS sheet 14!

Chrers from Oz,

Peter C. (eagerly awaiting his O2/3!!).

• Like 1

Looking at the photos, I still have my doubts about the size, colour and font of the numbering. No real biggy in the scheme of things, just a little annoying. Ah well, out with the HMRS sheet 14!

Chrers from Oz,

Peter C. (eagerly awaiting his O2/3!!).

Completely agree on the 'weight' and size of the  numbers. Crest looks a little odd too but easy to remedy

Spot on Derek and I believe you supplied me with the slide!

There were two different sized numbers used on the Tango's, 10 inch for the GN cabbed loco's and 12 inch for the LNER cabs. The numbers measure exactly 4mm on the model and the 28inch crest scales down to 10mm. We did double check on this as another 'famous' RMWebber queried the size whilst it was undergoing trials on his layout. Frantic emails between Oxford and Denmark confirmed the measurements on the model were correct to drawings.

• Like 2

That is great info.

My memory may be playing tricks (it often does) but I don't recall seeing anything other than pale cream numerals on the O2s I saw on the Frodingham workings.

Mind you, that was after the later crest was applied and so maybe there was a change of policy to restrict the more orangey numerals to green liveried locos?

Thanks Derek; those are the only colour photos I can remember seeing of locos with the early crest.

That is great info.

My memory may be playing tricks (it often does) but I don't recall seeing anything other than pale cream numerals on the O2s I saw on the Frodingham workings.

Mind you, that was after the later crest was applied and so maybe there was a change of policy to restrict the more orangey numerals to green liveried locos?

Thanks Derek; those are the only colour photos I can remember seeing of locos with the early crest.

Your welcome my friend. I have a good number of O2 photo's in colour but those are the only two with the early emblem.

Regards,Derek.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, December has come and gone but still no locos.

Does anyone have any inside info about the release dates of any of the various batches of O2s?

Yes it will be here in the New Year.       :jester:   Not saying which one Though.!!!

Edited by CUTLER2579

I'm not complaining; we ER enthusiasts are patient and understanding folk, but my post was an honest search for information on where the December release models might be.

The Heljan Facebook site advises that the first releases of the 02 (doesn't say which liveries/numbers) are expected at the end of January (2016)