RMweb

My detailing/repainting projects

Hi again Lee

Many thanks for the advice on the 56 handrails.

Have you always used a lining pen for your orange cant rails or do you use water slide decals sometimes?

Just that they really look consistently even regarding dimensions and clarity.

Regards

John

thought the other months oo gauge Western was good. Check the n gauge version out....

11407806425_24773600f3_b.jpg

11407801306_3510768b0b_b.jpg

11407805426_7739b04bd5_b.jpg

And yes, I know the body is not attached properly, it's still a work in progress.

These are the smaller scale too....

11407821615_bc6e8da43a_b.jpg

11407821895_1b379417be_b.jpg

11407959763_015fdc6cf9_b.jpg

191 now ready to be attacked with weathering

11407942213_ae47accb9e_b.jpg

11407942403_660c1c421f_b.jpg

A larger version of last months Blue Circle!

11407804666_ae0aa6e2ce_b.jpg

11407827834_13000036a1_b.jpg

A little project of mine, detailing it, and have fitted sound.

11407942973_23a096bdb1_b.jpg

11407801176_d89ca74df4_b.jpg

Got these babies to fit to some of me 37's, make the Bachmann ones look like dustbin lids!

11407822324_16d2bb7144_b.jpg
  • Like 7

Hi Lee,

Are those wagon buffers suffice for a loco? The heads / oleo's look good but the rears surely would be bigger on a loco! Good to see everything geting lighting something i can't be bothered with far to fiddly! On the 37 the black boxs i see your struggling to get them straight / neat chap, why not try masking them off for a nice square finish?

Also maskol is great for doing little weathering jobs but if your careful the glazing will come out of most loco's thus then not leaving a messy edge were the maskol has been hope that helps.

Edited by richard60098

For headcodes you should get yourself a fine nibbed black permanent marker and colour them in. Once varnished over they blend in perfectly. I use one often for such jobs. Actually pretty good for black window surrounds too especially on N gauge!! The added bonus around windows is virtually no thickness to stop windows going back in!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Hi Lee,

Are those wagon buffers suffice for a loco? The heads / oleo's look good but the rears surely would be bigger on a loco! Good to see everything geting lighting something i can't be bothered with far to fiddly! On the 37 the black boxs i see your struggling to get them straight / neat chap, why not try masking them off for a nice square finish?

Also maskol is great for doing little weathering jobs but if your careful the glazing will come out of most loco's thus then not leaving a messy edge were the maskol has been hope that helps.

Hi Richard. As I said earlier, they are not the correct pattern shanks, but they are the correct diameter heads. A1 models for appropriate ones, but they are impossible to get a hold of. For the time being, these ones look much better than Bachmanns dustbin lids. I used masking tape for the black surrounds, but during the cleaning up process, I inadvertently caught the edges with thinners. They will be touched up before finally finishing.

Perhaps it's time to add a disclaimer to all of my pictures stating 'THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND IS NOT THE FINISHED ARTICLE'

Or should I just photograph the finished model to save having to explain everything? :-)

And with regards to Maskol, the odd window dropping out whilst masking a batch of 15-20 locos doesn't bother me. It's effective, and a major timesaver.

Edited by blueeighties

For headcodes you should get yourself a fine nibbed black permanent marker and colour them in. Once varnished over they blend in perfectly. I use one often for such jobs. Actually pretty good for black window surrounds too especially on N gauge!! The added bonus around windows is virtually no thickness to stop windows going back in!

I like the idea of that, especially for n gauge window surrounds. Thanks for a top tip to try :-)

Hi Richard. As I said earlier, they are not the correct pattern shanks, but they are the correct diameter heads. A1 models for appropriate ones, but they are impossible to get a hold of. For the time being, these ones look much better than Bachmanns dustbin lids. I used masking tape for the black surrounds, but during the cleaning up process, I inadvertently caught the edges with thinners. They will be touched up before finally finishing.

Perhaps it's time to add a disclaimer to all of my pictures stating 'THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND IS NOT THE FINISHED ARTICLE'

Or should I just photograph the finished model to save having to explain everything? :-)

And with regards to Maskol, the odd window dropping out whilst masking a batch of 15-20 locos doesn't bother me. It's effective, and a major timesaver.

People seem to like looking at the model going through every stage but in some cases the time served modellers are only giving tips & hints away on how to do it from start to finish and with the major competition between you all now i think less is better and surely rather than faffing about taking 100's of time consuming pics wouldn't it be better to spend that time doing the work and just take final pics + like you say then you'll get less comments / won't have to keep replying on a "work in progress" set of pictures :sungum:

Thanks for that Richard. I always thought 'faffing about taking hundreds of pictures' was beneficial both in documenting what I do,and also helping and maybe inspiring others to have a go. One of the reason my business has grown and developed is because I have taken the time to show and explain the various stages of work.

Are we going to see some of your contributions? 

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Richard. I always thought 'faffing about taking hundreds of pictures' was beneficial both in documenting what I do,and also helping and maybe inspiring others to have a go. One of the reason my business has grown and developed is because I have taken the time to show and explain the various stages of work.

Are we going to see some of your contributions? 

Blueeighties - `please don't stop posting lots of 'in progress' photos, i find the work you are doing inspirational plus its very useful seeing the kind of things other people do to their models as it gives ideas of things I could do, plus often points to products that people are not aware of/or not aware of how to use! Keep up the good work pal

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Posting stuff that's WIP can be beneficial in that omissions and errors can sometimes be spotted by others with better knowledge/info etc.

Better to pick up an error on a part finished model, rather than to possibly have to redo a large section.

It's also surprising how much can be picked up looking at a photo of your own work - I know, I've done it enough times myself.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Theres nothing wrong with the way you do things Lee and Im not even sure how that turned into a p!$$ing contest but just keep showing us what you're upto and we can all teach each other how to build better railways!

Cav

Keep up the good work Lee - it's always great to see the work in progress shots, both as Newbryford's said in terms of helping to see and possible correct any omissions and to provide help. It's also making me think about some of my models and what needs doing to them... and maybe sending you a couple to work on too!