My detailing/repainting projects

Very nice Lee. I still dont buy airbrush weathering on grilles though, not without at least some proper washes first. Just a pet hate of mine so nothing personal. Good job none the less!

Edit: the large logo 37 is the issue for me on that front, the 33s and the drs 37 is nigh on perfection!

That's interesting, as all the locos have been Airbrush weathered! I know what you mean though, and it's always more prominent on yellow does, and lighter liveries. It's the usual story with me....I have such a large volume of work that I simply can't afford the time to lavish hours and hours on each individual Model. Happy to oblige if the customer requests it though :-) As an example, today alone has seen a delivery of 15 class 37, 2 40, and 1 70. It's been like this since Christmas. So I guess people must be reasonably happy! Happy days.

I realise that Lee and with the volumes you need to get through its the only way. In perspective my n gauge 45 grilles alone took me about 3 hours to get down. That sort of time is impossible to spend on a commission unless some serious wonga is changing hands. The light colours do show it more though I agree.

Very nice work Lee, loving Roseberry Topping and the Cromptons. Sounds like a name for a band?!

Funny isn't it, class 40s were just before my time so were never into them but I really like that model. The Cromptons look really good too, I used to see them whilst on trips out on the southern but didn't really take much notice of them. But after seeing some cracking models here on RMWeb I really want one..........they look great in BR blue. May be I will get one of the updated Heljan ones when released. Not really suitable but hey!

Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lee,

Nice work on the DRS 37's. One detail that'll take you a few minutes are the aluminium kickplates in the lower door area.

As Pete says, 37405 with the over cab horns..................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Damn, I forgot about the kickplates! cheers, been a long day.

We all do it - "A man who never made a mistake, never made anything", or something like that.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Mick

Everybody is a critic today ...

The underframe tanks on 33052 are the opposite way around to the other two. They all appear to be facing the same direction (big roof fan to the left), so I assume at least one of them has the body on the wrong way around?

Excellent work on the painting etc. Wish I had the time and expertise :-)

Lol...I really appreciate this as it's very helpful pointing out the very obvious things I am missing!! Time is indeed a requirement, but expertise most definately not. Practise,practise, and more practise. I couldn't even mix paint correctly when I started out. Still struggle now actually :O

• Like 2

I really like those,

I share Calvin's dislike on airbrushed grilles, but yours are fine ...they look good.

I mean the " pro weathered " eBay ones where it's obvious a big puff of paint from the side when gravity would make the muck drop down I guess......and of course locos that look like tigers with those rain washed down the side over done look.

This model trains lark is getting very complicated. I have been working on a customers class 20 today, weathering, sound and lights. 

A screen shot from Decoder Pro in action.

12020137314_5eb987b2c2_b.jpg

12019786425_49a563f7a1_b.jpg

12020135314_9ef04d24e6_b.jpg

12019784705_a4e76fa751_b.jpg

12019785735_54d86caecc_b.jpg

12020074783_7ba1947c23_b.jpg

12020072403_77be3b0827_b.jpg

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 6

Corrected the dodgy signal on the plank this evening.

12075437233_e6fbdfa44a_b.jpg

12075439003_35ede02d59_b.jpg

Finally sourced some correct pattern Oleo's for 37033. Still need a bit of weathering.

12075439403_ba0ca97d87_b.jpg

Finished installing a complete set of lights in one of the pair of 08's. Decoder install and trying to get them working next.

12075538614_848459a823_b.jpg

12075783096_b438c021f6_b.jpg

Edited by blueeighties
  • Like 7