Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rev Peter Denny

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Rev Peter Denny's funeral will take place on Thursday 14th January.

There will be a Requiem Mass at St George's Church, Truro, at 11.00am.

The main service will be at Newlyn East Parish Church at 2.00pm, followed by burial at Newlyn East.

Stu

• 8 months later...
Is there anything Concrete on this. Perhaps you could SHED some light on it.....

Be patient, when the family are ready to announce the outcome of any move with the layout, I'm sure they will follow protocol and let those who have supported Peter over many years be aware of their intentions first, then it will be cascaded out to all and sundry.

Now that Bachmann have done the GCR ROD 2-8-0 let's hope that either they or someone else will make a Director, Pom Pom, or ballet dancer then we can all remember this great character each time that we look at our own GCR locos.

Because of him modelling the GCR I read all 3 books by George Dow on the history of the railway. We must thank him for making people think that there are other railways other than GWML, WCML and the ECML.

• 11 months later...

Be patient, when the family are ready to announce the outcome of any move with the layout, I'm sure they will follow protocol and let those who have supported Peter over many years be aware of their intentions first, then it will be cascaded out to all and sundry.

I was at Midland Railex and had a long chat with the new owner who has it in a purpose built building and is a professional modeller so it's in good hands. I have forgotten his name but he was in league with Roy Jackson's Retford mob. If he sees this I would love to see some photos of Buckingham in its new home if he had time.

Andrew

The Rev Peter Denny's 'Leighton Buzzard Linslade' will be exhibited by it's new owner Tony Gee (and Ken Hill) at expoEM North at Slaithwaite over the weekend of the 10th and 11th September 2011 so if you missed it at expEM at Bracknell this is your chance to see it in all its glory .

I was at Midland Railex and had a long chat with the new owner who has it in a purpose built building and is a professional modeller so it's in good hands. I have forgotten his name but he was in league with Roy Jackson's Retford mob. If he sees this I would love to see some photos of Buckingham in its new home if he had time.

Andrew

An interesting aside to this is that the new building for it was designed by Crispin Denny!

Saw LB at Bracknell - well worth the entrance fee for that one layout!

• RMweb Premium

An interesting aside to this is that the new building for it was designed by Crispin Denny!

I'm sure he was an automatic choice for the job.......

Saw LB at Bracknell - well worth the entrance fee for that one layout!

At Bracknell, Crispin wore a name badge proudly proclaiming "The original Automatic Crispin!"

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to say that Crispin Denny will be along at EXPO North, as long as everything goes to plan! He will be helping me with Leighton Buzzard but is only there on the Saturday. As for the rest of the layout, it is slowly being reassembled in its new home. There is much to do as pretty much everything done to the layout since it moved to Truro was done with no provision for any future move! Sadly, a good deal of damage had to be done to track, scenery and wiring to get it apart and the story of the move is an interesting one! Work is under way to restore it to full working order but it may be a while before I get there. Leighton Buzzard was first to be tackled and I am now working on Grandborough Junction. I have been asked to write a piece for Railway Modeller about the transfer of Buckingham to its new home, which should be published in the next couple of months.

Sounds excellent. I look forward to seeing the article and perhaps you can post a few pictures on here sometime (although I am sure you have got your hands full!).

Thanks for taking the time to tell me so much about the layout and for showing me the drawings and other bits of the "archive" at MIdland Railex.

Andrew (the guy from Germany)

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Congratulations on your taking over the care & maintenance of this most important layout!

Hopefully I will get to see it again at some point, restored to it's former glory and impeccable operation.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

It's just a relief to read that this iconic layout hasn't been lost forever. Hopefully we'll continue to read about it in the press from time to time!

• 4 years later...

Good morning,

The Automatic Crispin, non operating at present, will be available for inspection

TODAY Sunday 15 May 2016 St expoEM,, Bracknelll Leisure Centre, Berks, RG12 9SE, open 1000-1630.

on arrival contact me either at the rear of Stand 25 Metropolitan Junction layout, or by the Test Track.

my thanks to Crispin Denny and Tony Gee for making the A.C. available.

regards,

Rodney Hills

archivist@merg.org.uk

Good morning,

The Automatic Crispin, non operating at present, will be available for inspection

TODAY Sunday 15 May 2016 St expoEM,, Bracknelll Leisure Centre, Berks, RG12 9SE, open 1000-1630.

on arrival contact me either at the rear of Stand 25 Metropolitan Junction layout, or by the Test Track.

my thanks to Crispin Denny and Tony Gee for making the A.C. available.

regards,

Rodney Hills

archivist@merg.org.uk

I was there yesterday and it was fascinating to actually see the Automatic Crispin (as was the working Rollacontrola)

I'm still not sure what everything did despite Peter Denny's articles about it but wasn't the the "pianola roll" sequencer based on something once used to route trains on the London Underground? 

Curiously I saw something not a million miles from the automatic bell code sender in the small museum at Le Crotoy station a few weeks ago. post-6882-0-65740100-1463308754_thumb.jpg

This thing sent the bell signals that used to be transmitted to the next station and to intermediate level crossings from French block stations. It wasn't a system of two way communication like British bell codes but mainly warned crossing keepers to close their gates. It did though also act as a back up. The bells were out in the open and if a crossing keeper or any other employee heard the emergency stop signal they were to signal any approaching train to stop. If they ever heard the bells for two trains coming from opposite directions on a single track or saw some other emergency they coud break a seal and send the energency stop signal. 

Archived