Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Sorry to see that Al, were any ROCKS hurt in the making of that picture?

Sorry mate, it had to be asked, haha

All the best and I hope you get it sorted soon, any damage to the engine or gearbox?

Glad your Daughters fine, that must mean a lot to you.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to see that Al, were any ROCKS hurt in the making of that picture?

Sorry mate, it had to be asked, haha

All the best and I hope you get it sorted soon, any damage to the engine or gearbox?

Glad your Daughters fine, that must mean a lot to you.

Bodge.

Hi mate, I think I may have bruised a few rocks :D

Engine gearbox and drive-train are all fine, it will move under it's own steam, but the steering gear looks like an impressionists painting, so it won't go round corners... This may be a drawback... :scratchhead:

I'm very glad indeed she wasn't injured, as i don't know how I would have felt if I'd hurt her, I feel bad enough as it is just through having frightened her.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al glad you and your girl are okay, that's the main thing, the disco can be replaced but you can't! I did think for a microsecond though that you had taken a picture of a dry-stone wall and put a vehicle on top of it to show the scale! 

Hi Al,

Glad all are OK after the extreme parking ! I've used cat litter dry stone walls but no trenches or cling film required, using an old margerine container, put about an inch or so of pva in it, drop an inch or so of cat litter on top and mix with your hands, keep a second container of water close by to dip gluey hands into... Simply grab a pile of gluey cat litter, drop on layout and pull out (by squeezing and shaping with your fingers as you go) into a wall as high as you need, following the contours as needed, you should get about 4-6 feet of walling done in one sitting (one load of glue/litter mix as explained above) final shaping etc can be done with wet fingers. Paint etc when dry. One warning though, resist the urge to wipe sweaty faces (especially eyebrows!) mid job with the back of gluey fingers ! I did 30 odd feet of drystone walls that way in about an hour on a past layout of mine.

All the best

Matthew

Edited by WardRail

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

Glad all are OK after the extreme parking ! I've used cat litter dry stone walls but no trenches or cling film required, using an old margerine container, put about an inch or so of pva in it, drop an inch or so of cat litter on top and mix with your hands, keep a second container of water close by to dip gluey hands into... Simply grab a pile of gluey cat litter, drop on layout and pull out (by squeezing and shaping with your fingers as you go) into a wall as high as you need, following the contours as needed, you should get about 4-6 feet of walling done in one sitting (one load of glue/litter mix as explained above) final shaping etc can be done with wet fingers. Paint etc when dry. One warning though, resist the urge to wipe sweaty faces (especially eyebrows!) mid job with the back of gluey fingers ! I did 30 odd feet of drystone walls that way in about an hour on a past layout of mine.

All the best

Matthew

Hi Matthew, thanks very much for your well wishes, and for your ideas. I'll definitely give it a go when things have settled down again.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Glad you and your daughter are safe.  Hope it gets sorted quickly.

How is it affecting you getting to work and things?

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much, appreciate it.

I'm having to walk to work :O at the moment, It's about 2 miles, which doesn't sound too bad, and going to work is OK it's all downhill. Coming home, however, is all uphill - and by that I mean a 1:4 climb in places, although it's feeling steeper every day :) Still, if I survive, it should make me a bit fitter...

Cheers,

Al.

Hi Jock,

Thanks very much for your concern, and for your offer.

I like to think of myself as a better driver than most (don't we all) having driven emergency service vehicles for twenty years without mishap, and have seen the results of 4x4 drivers who think themselves immune to bad weather on many occasions, but at the end of the day, it only takes one lapse of concentration and there we are balanced on a wall :)

It's a road I travel every week, in all weathers, and I would have said I could judge what would be a safe speed on that bend, given the weather conditions, but on this occasion, I was obviously wrong! :O

We were always taught that a vehicle may aquaplane at anything over 45 MPH (dependant on various factors like tyre tread, water depth, vehicle weight etc) but I think I've just proved it can happen slower than that :(

Ah well, as you say, it's only a lump of metal, and we learn every day...

I'm angry with myself, and thankful that it wasn't worse and I didn't injure my daughter, who was in the car with me.

Cheers,

Al.

As you say your daughter is ok, and so apparently are you, and the rest is money, which is always a problem, but health out ways that. Glad you are both ok.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al

Blimey, I'm sorry to see you've been in the wars. I hope it doesn't sting you for too much. It's a bit crude, but hopefully this will cheer you up (even if only a little bit).

post-14192-0-37660600-1407977907_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We know your not modelling on Bakewell, but are you doing any work on the poor car....feel free to add photos.......

I would suggest NOT adding flockage to the car..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

LOL! :D

I think I added plenty of flockage to it - or quite a similar word, anyway... :O

It's been taken away by the insurance company to be assessed, so I've just got to sit and wait now.

Might stir myself to a bit of railway modelling later, but not feeling much in the mood at the moment.

Just heard the news about Dave Shakespeare, a great loss to both RMWeb and the whole modelling community.

Al.

Just catching up with your thread Al, seems you've been very busy inside and out !........ so glad to hear your both ok, hope you can get sorted with transport soon.

Interesting picture on Ebay at the moment, you may have seen it before, but its got interesting detail.....  cheers , joe ( not sure how to link it directly......)

eBay item number:

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up with your thread Al, seems you've been very busy inside and out !........ so glad to hear your both ok, hope you can get sorted with transport soon.

Interesting picture on Ebay at the moment, you may have seen it before, but its got interesting detail.....  cheers , joe ( not sure how to link it directly......)

eBay item number:

Ah, Cheers Joe, yes I have seen it before, and as you say it's a great photo for all the little details it shows.

I keep meaning to try and replicate it, but I think the nearest I've got is this:

post-17302-0-63756500-1408560945_thumb.jpg

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 7

I've not done any modelling this weekend, and won't be doing any for a bit, as I've got to sort out the consequences of this:

attachicon.gif20140810_172547-sm.jpg

Nobody hurt, but my pride, and ultimately my wallet will suffer for a bit.

There's always something...

Al.

Hmm, security service have it in for you?

They seem to have left a calling card at the front of the car.

MI5....

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any joy on the insurance front for the car?

Nope, not heard anything yet, I keep plaguing them.

How did you get it off the wall?

Hi Jason,

We used the winch on a recovery vehicle, it came off with very little fuss actually.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that's good news at least. The last thing we did to our Jeep was the Winter before last. Cath thought she was about to drive over some slush from the back of a wheel arch, turned out to be a stonking great rock. The oil pan took the brunt of it, so it was straight home before I ran out of oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is it only a week since i've posted? It feels longer.

Unfortunately, the car accident coincided with a very busy period at work, so no modelling has been done at all.

Still no progress on replacing the car, so I'm not sure I'll be able to join you all at Coventry, however, if I can, by hook or crook, I'll be there.

This afternoon I took a few photos around the layout, and played with them in Photoshop to try and produce some period looking shots, and here they are:

post-17302-0-67073400-1409505096_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-93697600-1409505098_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-86784300-1409505425_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-26573700-1409505103_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19924200-1409505104.jpg

post-17302-0-42392800-1409505105_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 11