Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Morning Al,

Almost forgotten how lovely the layout was!! Great to see that you're mobile again, and it looks like a very nice example.

Lovely realistic images as usual and hopefully you'll soon be back to your usual productive self. Perhaps it would be a good idea to guard against burn-out by rationing your modelling time?

Good to see the thread on the move once more, 'Bodge' was catching you up hand over fist with 'Bitton'!HaHa.

Kind regards,

Jock

• Like 1

I agree with EVERYONES comments. I am playing colonisation a lot more than I am modelling...Kals fault he bought me my own copy. :angel:

The night shots with those wonderful lights you made from scratch, once the back wall is out of the picture, the station looks absolutely fantastic, very envious. Sasquatch is right, the picture should be on..how realistic is your modelling.....

Nice set of wheels. Hope you didn't have to dip too much into your own pocket to subsidise its purchase. Nice house too, love the stone...looks like a project for the layout.Reminds me of Freebs work.With out the dented wall :jester: Clearly you don't have any cat issues.

Glad to see you pottering about. Dont rush it, it will feel like work, as though we are pressurising you. We are just all be supportive until that certain something sparks your interest again.

Hey.....you could always add a clown or two to the layout :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 3

Hello Al,   Life has an awful effect on our modelling, things go wrong all the time with all of us, even little things in life can blow our modelling projects out of the window, l have been there many times, even now l am struggling to put things together, but believe me it WILL come back again (and will go again hahaha) thats the good thing about our hobby its always there when you want it ?

Nothing like a good exhibition to get the mojo swinging again mate, works for me everytime, l would listen to Jason and try to build your signals in brass, very fiddly but worthwhile and they look so much better...

George..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos Al, Nice new motor too! Good to hear your mojo is back - mine's currently locked up and not allowed out until it's got all it's web design jobs out of the way first

Cheers Lee. You've got a brand new one, haven't you? show us a pic on your thread if you want (hide the Reg No. obviously).

• RMweb Gold

A little bit of modelling.

Here's one of the Ratio telegraph poles, painted up.

post-17302-0-28065300-1412015829_thumb.jpg

However, if you compare it to the main pole run in this picture (on the right) you can see that the Ratio ones are not tall enough and don't have enough arms...

post-17302-0-76666100-1412015847_thumb.jpg

So I decided to have a go at making my own.

I took a length of styrene 2mm round rod

post-17302-0-78023500-1412015831_thumb.jpg

Then I added the chamfered cap on the top:

post-17302-0-49662800-1412015833_thumb.jpg

and cut away where the first two sets of arms would go:

post-17302-0-66533200-1412015835_thumb.jpg

The arms are made of a double layer of a thin strip cut from a sheet of Slater's planking:

post-17302-0-98107600-1412015837_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-11504300-1412015840_thumb.jpg

and then small cut-offs of 1mm round rod for the insulators:

post-17302-0-67838000-1412015842_thumb.jpg

Here's the new pole next to the Ratio one:

post-17302-0-92257600-1412015844_thumb.jpg

Six more arms to do, and then start again on the next one...

I may regret having started this...

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 12

A little bit of modelling.

Here's one of the Ratio telegraph poles, painted up.

attachicon.giftelegraph001.jpg

However, if you compare it to the main pole run in this picture (on the right) you can see that the Ratio ones are not tall enough and don't have enough arms...

attachicon.giftelegraph009.jpg

So I decided to have a go at making my own.

I took a length of styrene 2mm round rod

attachicon.giftelegraph002.jpg

Then I added the chamfered cap on the top:

attachicon.giftelegraph003.jpg

and cut away where the first two sets of arms would go:

attachicon.giftelegraph004.jpg

The arms are made of a double layer of a thin strip cut from a sheet of Slater's planking:

attachicon.giftelegraph005.jpg

attachicon.giftelegraph006.jpg

and then small cut-offs of 1mm round rod for the insulators:

attachicon.giftelegraph007.jpg

Here's the new pole next to the Ratio one:

attachicon.giftelegraph008.jpg

Six more arms to do, and then start again on the next one...

I may regret having started this...

Thanks for looking,

Al.

You will when I put my order in, ahhaha

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, this will drive you up the the pole, (Definition of up the pole in British and World English in Oxford dictionary. Meaning ... 1British Mad:) All the best Adrian.

Ps: I couldn't find a bonkers/clever button.

Up the pole, round the twist, and off me trolley, definitely :D

Hello Al.  I like your telegraph poles.  I baulked at making mine but rather used the Ratio ones, heavily modified.  Looking at photos taken around 1905, the poles were quite a bit different, having shorter arms but more of them, with an insulator at the very top.  Anyway here is a pic of the result, sorry about the quality.  I didn't even think about the wires, would have driven me doolally.

Derek

post-6110-0-50686800-1412173908_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I don't know why you keep apologising for your photographs Derek, they are wonderful, and your modelling is sublime.

The period locos and coaches, and the lovely little details are always a joy to see.

Smashing, thank you.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This thread is brilliant Al, purely because of your approach to making things and the great effort put into sharing how you do it!

You know I've put my mojo down somewhere and can't for the life of me remember where. It'll turn up one day. Soon I hope.

Regards Shaun

• RMweb Gold

This thread is brilliant Al, purely because of your approach to making things and the great effort put into sharing how you do it!

You know I've put my mojo down somewhere and can't for the life of me remember where. It'll turn up one day. Soon I hope.

Regards Shaun

Cheers Shaun, it's very kind of you to say so.

You know what I did, to get back into modelling? I read Adrian's Westerham thread from the start, and then did the same with this one from the beginning to the end. That sounds big headed, but that's not what I mean, it's just it reminded me what I've already done to get where I am now.

Compared to my humble efforts, your layout and modelling is in a whole different class. Go and have a look, you'll be surprised! :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Managed to sneak a little bit more modelling this evening.

First, I comitted sacrilege. You know that Up platform building, the one I spent so long building? 

Well I drilled a hole, right through it :O

post-17302-0-76747400-1412276423_thumb.jpg

Quite a BIG hole, really!

post-17302-0-80926800-1412276425_thumb.jpg

Ah, but all's well, 'cos I filled it up with this:

post-17302-0-74528400-1412276427_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-97936200-1412276429_thumb.jpg

Which should look quite good when it's been weathered down a bit.

I did another one at the other end, as well:

post-17302-0-22829400-1412276432_thumb.jpg

Right, sticking with the Up platform, here's a couple of shots taken by Stan Roberts.

post-17302-0-27711600-1412276419_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-61992300-1412276421_thumb.jpg

(Used with permission)

I'm obviously wanting to imitate these views, although my platform is slightly shorter than the real one. I do need to lower the hillside a bit, and level it off for the Station Master's garden, but this evening I concentrated on the platform itself.

There is a flower border on the platform side of the fence, so I used some waste trimmings of black plasticard to create an edge, and then splodged a goodly dollop of PVA glue:

post-17302-0-08806400-1412276435_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-44135700-1412276437_thumb.jpg

Then I used some (allegedly) black scatter for the soil. I say allegedly because to me it looks dark brown...

I also mounted the lampost.

post-17302-0-73285200-1412276439_thumb.jpg

Once it's all dry I'll vacuum up the excess.

Now, back to telegraph pole making...

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 15