Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Thanks for that.  This is what I had suspected but I do not remember seeing any on the photographs I have looked at.  They are probably hidden from view as I have not been interested in them so I shall look again.  I shall be doing a lot of looking at pictures over the next few months.

Funnily enough, I have been messing around with telegraph poles too, the same sort as you but I think Merit made them (I have had them since I as a nipper). With mine, I have removed the flash from them (they are an odd shape as they come) and sanded them down a bit, reduced them from 8 to 6 arms and so far, they have had a coat of Weathered Wood.

On BCB, they locate into brass tube inserted into the baseboards and whilst I know that BCB is an exhibition layout and ours are home based, it seems like a cracking idea to do the same as it will be easier to keep them square and true. I'm not sure if you'd got as far as thinking about how to locate them on the boards but hopefully the above is a useful thought?

Edit to add: Larry (Coachmann) pointed out that in photos including telegraph poles, you never see the steps as they are too fine whereas on the Ratio / Merit ones they are hugely over scale. I cut the steps off mine.

Hi

I get what people say about for example the steps being over scale, BUT I think that you expect to see them and if they are not there your brain knows some thing is not right. In real world we are not looking for detail and so we do not see them. However with a model we are trying to associate the model with real real thing, so they need to be there.

Each to there own, but I personally think some details need to be shown and, a bit of modellers licence can work well.

Just my perspective.

I agree Kal. My biggest pet hate in that vein is when people try to justify the lack of overhead wires by saying they are too fine to see in n gauge. Again it looks wrong because you expect to see them. Funny how people are happy to have mesh grilles on diesel roofs where the actual mesh is approx 3mm gauge, 5x thinner than a 15mm overhead wire.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

I know many people will hate my layout because of the Kadee's, but compared to tension lock..... The right thing to do would be to use the 3 link chain etc, but if built to scale I think they would be unusable and I hate the way they work so... Kadee it is.

I do not think there is a right and wrong, it is just whatever compromise you can live with on your own layout.

• RMweb Gold

Al,

As I have said I have NEVER seen telegraph poles on pictures of the Cambrian Railway as this picture of the front cover of the book I was given at Christmas proves!!!

So you see, I was right, there were no..............

Thanks.  You and Jason talking about them has made me look again.  Whether or not I will need many as my layout is a lot of station or they may get in the way of small hands is debatable, but not todays debate.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Right then, here's what I've been doing the last couple of evenings.

In the photos posted earlier in the thread, the bare plywood of the platform was annoying me, so I decided next job was to start and surface it, and detail the platform edges.

So I took some 30thou plasticard, and cut a sheet into smaller bits for ease of use, and placed them on top of the plywood to try and get a rough shape:

post-17302-0-33789500-1392831878_thumb.jpg

Then, using the already made platform edge as a guide I cut the curve of the platform:

post-17302-0-59648600-1392831880_thumb.jpg

I made a number of visits back and forth from the layout to check the curvature, but eventually ended up with this:

post-17302-0-00327700-1392831883_thumb.jpg

I used an old coach to check the rolling stock clearances on the platform edge.

post-17302-0-28225100-1392831885_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-41558200-1392831887_thumb.jpg

Once I was happy with it, and had marked out and cut the position of the station building, I started adding the edging slabs to the platform, these cut out of strips of 20thou plasticard:

post-17302-0-09126700-1392831889_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-50463000-1392831891_thumb.jpg

Once those were all glued and set, I sprayed the whole top face with dark grey:

post-17302-0-62815400-1392831893_thumb.jpg

This won't be the final surface, but it makes it look better than blinding white.

I then cut lots of strips of 4mm stone courses, the same as the existing platform edges are made from.

post-17302-0-13856300-1392831896_thumb.jpg

These are glued to the top edge of the wall, under the edging slabs, to provide some relief detail of the wall.

post-17302-0-31184000-1392831898_thumb.jpg

More in a minute.

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

With the basic construction done, it's time to paint.

So first, all the newly added plasticard was given a coat of Humbrol Matt Sand as a base colour:

post-17302-0-94957800-1392832575_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-01159800-1392832578_thumb.jpg

Once that had thoroughly dried, I made up a dilute wash of Humbrol Black Green, and applied it over the top of the Matt Sand, blending it in with the existing paintwork on the walls:

post-17302-0-10687900-1392832580_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-99526400-1392832581_thumb.jpg

On the top surface of the edging slabs, I applied the wash quite heavily:

post-17302-0-96702300-1392832583_thumb.jpg

which when dried gives this result:

post-17302-0-08905700-1392832586_thumb.jpg

The platform covering was placed back on the layout, and the station building added:

post-17302-0-17979200-1392832588_thumb.jpg

The platform edge looks a lot better now:

post-17302-0-45726800-1392832590_thumb.jpg

I used an old coach to check the clearances again.

post-17302-0-74440800-1392832594_thumb.jpg

I need to do the same sort of thing to the Up platform now, and the station will begin to look something like.

While I had the camera out, I positioned the fencing I'd done, to take this shot:

post-17302-0-36665000-1392832592_thumb.jpg

Very reminiscent of the prototype, I reckon.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 6

Nice work on the platform Al, The track can be weathered, ballasted and washed in to look good.

BESIDES, people will be so busy looking at the buildings, interiors, footbridge, road bridge etc that they wont even see the track.

Andy :declare:

• Like 2

Posted Today, 18:32

Jack374, on 19 Feb 2014 - 18:24, said:snapback.png

:mad doctor stroking cat emoticon:

We really really need one of these...

Where's AndyY...

:dontknow:

• Tick.jpg Agree x 1
  •  
  • List

acg_mr asked and Sasquatch  provided

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-run-to-the-hills-run-for-your-lives/page-137&do=findComment&comment=1352755

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

That looks amazing, good work there Al.

Now on the subject of telegraph poles, I have a copy of the (GPO) EI folder of 'Lines Overhead' and have the EI's (engineering Instructions) from the 1920's about how you set up your open wire route. PM me if you want a copy, so you know how to do the route correctly, and no it's not just as easy as running thread from the same insulator on each to the next!

Andy G

Al post 1336

Nice work on the platforms...

I also like the Hornby building up on the hill....you did a Freebs and white washed it....do you know I have not seen anyone to date actually use it as a station.

Those scratch built buildings of yours look magic already sat opposite. And I agree peco 75 and even 100 when done with finesse can look good, although my opinion is not worth a lot. Still you have no issues with finesse. I bet they will look the dogs doo dahs when you get around to them. As for the light through the glass canopies.....dynamite.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

I disagree on the track. Im no P4 scale nut but once youve done c and l or smp you cant ever go back to peco. It looks like toy track. Exactly the reason I am using finer track on Millers Dale. I couldnt bear to see those kinky point blades! As for code 100. aaarrrrrrghhhhh.

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Gold

Al, smashing work on the platforms. 

I don't know how you do it with the painting - two coats and you're done - I'd be still at it with the fifth dry brush coat!

Thanks mate.

I do sometimes wonder if people reading this thread think that I only show a few stages, and not the whole thing, but is absolutely the case that for me, the use of Humbrol Acrylic Matt Sand (no 63) and then once that's dried a wash of dilute Humbrol Acrylic Black Green (No 91) seems to give the right end result without much messing about.

I know that for you, the olive green tinge was not what you wanted, but for me it works well, and matches the prototype quite well.

• Like 3

The Station is looking really good now, especially on that curve.

I set a challenge for us both, being Peco users - make the track work and ballasting look as good as it can possibly be.

I think I might be the most Heathen-like modeller of all. Mine is the ultimate in toy track - I've even got some Hornby track down (although I'm really trying hard to eliminate the use of Set track small radius points. I thought I was seriously upgrading when I switched to Peco Medium radius points and flexitrack...

• Like 3

Different things look wrong to different people, I did look at hand built track, but what then became an annoyance to me was where people hand made track for BR Sector and privatisation layouts with bullhead rails and chairs and wooden sleepers in places that would have long since changed to concrete.

If I was going to hand make my track and I may well do so in the new areas, I will only do it if I can use flat bottom track and concrete sleepers, Peco at least got that right.

• RMweb Gold

Having seen what you two, and Andy P on various layouts, and "Robert" on Grantham have managed to achieve using Peco Code 100, there is definitely the possibility of making it look acceptable. Whether I am able to achieve that, on the other hand, is something else again. :)

• Like 2