Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

I personally prefer colour, the platform needs a little weathering. I like the placement of the last picture, you can't see the track or the cut on the platform.

The canopy the floor under the canopy and the shadows of the canopy absolutely brilliant. I am not a particular fan of the photoshopped steam, but you have certainly done it tastefully. The trees especially give a good distance effect.

The platform edge seems very high and catches your eye. Will you feather it down? you won't want to lift it as the canopy area is spot on.

The two buildings opposite each other have a really special effect.

That canopy is just really stunning.

Freebs should consider a similar effect with his beautiful buildings.

• RMweb Gold

I personally prefer colour, the platform needs a little weathering. I like the placement of the last picture, you can't see the track or the cut on the platform.

The canopy the floor under the canopy and the shadows of the canopy absolutely brilliant. I am not a particular fan of the photoshopped steam, but you have certainly done it tastefully. The trees especially give a good distance effect.

The platform edge seems very high and catches your eye. Will you feather it down? you won't want to lift it as the canopy area is spot on.

The two buildings opposite each other have a really special effect.

That canopy is just really stunning.

Freebs should consider a similar effect with his beautiful buildings.

Thanks Jaz, threw me a bit at first, but I guess you were commenting on the photos three pages back :)

The surface on the platform is not the final height yet, and it will match and blend in with the edging slabs., as you will see, there's been some discussion on what to use for the final surface, and I'm giong to test a bit of thin DAS as well as get some fine wet-and-dry paper to try.

I agree the colour photo has come out quite well, there's also some more in my videos.

Cheers

Al.

Hi Alistair,

I have just noticed your videos on construction of your Bakewell layout. They are very good and I enjoyed the one on the road bridge. As you are probably aware, I am also constructing a layout based on Bakewell but am a long way behind you.

At present I am building my baseboards (see my blog) and will add some photos later on this week. I am now on board 6 out of 9 and will be linking them up  around the room hopefully within the next 6 weeks,

In the meantime, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing some more of your progress.

Best regards, Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let there be Light!

I've bought various items so that I can carry on with detailing the layout: fencing, scenic stuff like grasses and flock, some more MEK, and...

THIS:

post-17302-0-16870600-1394049603_thumb.jpg

It's a metre long length of SMD LEDs in warm white. There's 60 LEDs in a metre length.

The thing that's special, though, is that every 3 LEDs, you can cut the strip, and each 3 LED section can be used separately, and each can be directly connected to 12V - no messing with resistors, just cut and play!

post-17302-0-27817300-1394049605_thumb.jpg

Or, you can leave it as a longer strip, and that works on 12V too, look:

post-17302-0-60139700-1394049607_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-24204300-1394049610_thumb.jpg

So, having tested that the whole thing worked, I took a pair of scissors and chopped off 3 LEDs (in the marked place, I hasten to add :O )

post-17302-0-45524400-1394049612_thumb.jpg

I took a bit of wire, and tinned the ends:

post-17302-0-45477000-1394049614_thumb.jpg

Then I cut away the end of the plastic lens that covers the whole length of the strip, to expose the solder pads:

post-17302-0-46905500-1394049616_thumb.jpg

and tinned them up:

post-17302-0-42297000-1394049618_thumb.jpg

Then soldered the wires to the pads:

post-17302-0-91446300-1394049621_thumb.jpg

Then, hoping I hadn't been too enthusiastic with the soldering iron, I connected it up:

post-17302-0-05178400-1394049623_thumb.jpg

From the side, not so bright, but from in line:

post-17302-0-67611100-1394050312_thumb.jpg

OUCH!

OK, so I've cut this strip, now what am I going to do with it?

Hmmm...

Goods Shed!

I fed the wire down the cavity in the wall:

post-17302-0-43502300-1394050314_thumb.jpg

and using the self-adhesive backing on the strip, I stuck it to the rafters:

post-17302-0-21874000-1394050316_thumb.jpg

The result is:

post-17302-0-42644400-1394050318_thumb.jpg

LIGHT... LOTS OF LIGHT...

:sungum:

post-17302-0-35082000-1394050320_thumb.jpg

Nope, sorry... TOO MUCH LIGHT!! :O :o :nono:

So I took the strip of LEDs, and wrapped it in a translucent sweet wrapper

post-17302-0-59975900-1394050322_thumb.jpg

Aahhhh....

Much better:

post-17302-0-81867500-1394050324_thumb.jpg

In the dark, there's a bit of bleed through showing through the roof:

post-17302-0-86415400-1394051180_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look anything like a prototype lamp - in fact, it looks remarkably like a set of Stage Floods!

post-17302-0-93697200-1394050326_thumb.jpg

But I think it's a decent light, and I'm fairly happy.

The only thing is... Should I keep the sweet wrapper, or go for the bare lights?

What do you lot reckon?

Cheers,

Al.

EDIT:  Forgot to say that I was powering it from a 13.8V DC supply, so it may not be quite so eye-searing at 12V. Unfortunately, I don't have a 12V DC supply to hand at the moment. I need to find a wall-wart of the requisite strength.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I like the yellow glow better. Can you not feed it less current to reduce the brightness a little though?

See my edit.

But also, I was wondering about sticking a small value resistor in series, but I'm not quite sure of how the circuit is laid out to allow each three-LED section to be 12V. I'm wary about sticking a resistor in series in case it halves the value of the remaining SMD ones, and blows the lot...

Putting a resistor in series never halves the other resistors. It needs to be in parallel with them the reduce their overall resistance. In order to wire them as you have I would think that the LEDs are all wired in parallel along the rope with their own resistor to drop down from 12v therefore there should be no issue adding a further resistor to the feed other than it will need to be able to deal with the current of all of the LEDs and resistors not just one so may need to be a higher power resistor in order not to blow it (the resistor not the lights).

Let there be Light!

I've bought various items so that I can carry on with detailing the layout: fencing, scenic stuff like grasses and flock, some more MEK, and...

THIS:

attachicon.giflighting-001.jpg

It's a metre long length of SMD LEDs in warm white. There's 60 LEDs in a metre length.

The thing that's special, though, is that every 3 LEDs, you can cut the strip, and each 3 LED section can be used separately, and each can be directly connected to 12V - no messing with resistors, just cut and play!

attachicon.giflighting-002.jpg

Or, you can leave it as a longer strip, and that works on 12V too, look:

attachicon.giflighting-003.jpg

attachicon.giflighting-004.jpg

So, having tested that the whole thing worked, I took a pair of scissors and chopped off 3 LEDs (in the marked place, I hasten to add :O )

attachicon.giflighting-005.jpg

I took a bit of wire, and tinned the ends:

attachicon.giflighting-006.jpg

Then I cut away the end of the plastic lens that covers the whole length of the strip, to expose the solder pads:

attachicon.giflighting-007.jpg

and tinned them up:

attachicon.giflighting-008.jpg

Then soldered the wires to the pads:

attachicon.giflighting-009.jpg

Then, hoping I hadn't been too enthusiastic with the soldering iron, I connected it up:

attachicon.giflighting-010.jpg

From the side, not so bright, but from in line:

attachicon.giflighting-011.jpg

OUCH!

OK, so I've cut this strip, now what am I going to do with it?

Hmmm...

Goods Shed!

I fed the wire down the cavity in the wall:

attachicon.giflighting-012.jpg

and using the self-adhesive backing on the strip, I stuck it to the rafters:

attachicon.giflighting-013.jpg

The result is:

attachicon.giflighting-014.jpg

LIGHT... LOTS OF LIGHT...

:sungum:

attachicon.giflighting-015.jpg

Nope, sorry... TOO MUCH LIGHT!! :O :o :nono:

So I took the strip of LEDs, and wrapped it in a translucent sweet wrapper

attachicon.giflighting-016.jpg

Aahhhh....

Much better:

attachicon.giflighting-017.jpg

In the dark, there's a bit of bleed through showing through the roof:

attachicon.giflighting-019.jpg

Doesn't look anything like a prototype lamp - in fact, it looks remarkably like a set of Stage Floods!

attachicon.giflighting-018.jpg

But I think it's a decent light, and I'm fairly happy.

The only thing is... Should I keep the sweet wrapper, or go for the bare lights?

What do you lot reckon?

Cheers,

Al.

EDIT:  Forgot to say that I was powering it from a 13.8V DC supply, so it may not be quite so eye-searing at 12V. Unfortunately, I don't have a 12V DC supply to hand at the moment. I need to find a wall-wart of the requisite strength.

Al, I recon you should PAINT SOME BLACK over the outer two LED's for less light and just a glow.

An :sungum: dy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These are going to look fantastic in your station Al!

Great stuff. Where dare I ask did you get that?

Regards Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I got it from that well known internet auction site...

This is a UK seller but I'm sure others are available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151172475808?var=450227704986&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• RMweb Gold

I also think Maplins sell them as I'm sure I saw some in the Mansfield Branch on Saturday.

Andy :sungum:

Hi mate, yep they do, but I couldn't find the "Warm White" from them, only the full fat White, so I went for the other option. :)

Cheers,

Al.

Gah!  I really could have done with some of these for putting in my buildings.  I would then have had light direct off my Duette.

At the moment I'm terrified to plug anything in unless I burn them out.  I have the following lit buildings and each has a positive and negative dropper to go through the baseboard which I hoped to connect to a bus into the power supply:

Signal box 1 x LED

Goods Shed 2 x LED in parallel

Engine Shed 1 x LED

Low-Relief Factory 7 x LED in parallel

Station horribly complicated, but 4 x LED in parallel in the end unit with droppers soldered to a bus under the platform and then 1 x LED for wach of the upper and lower floors soldered in parallel to the end unit droppers.

Art Deco Station 2 x LED in parallel (not destined for use on current layout)

Eek, I feel I may be destined to have to grovel around attaching individual watch batteries to each component...

• RMweb Gold

Gah!  I really could have done with some of these for putting in my buildings.  I would then have had light direct off my Duette.

At the moment I'm terrified to plug anything in unless I burn them out.  I have the following lit buildings and each has a positive and negative dropper to go through the baseboard which I hoped to connect to a bus into the power supply:

Signal box 1 x LED

Goods Shed 2 x LED in parallel

Engine Shed 1 x LED

Low-Relief Factory 7 x LED in parallel

Station horribly complicated, but 4 x LED in parallel in the end unit with droppers soldered to a bus under the platform and then 1 x LED for wach of the upper and lower floors soldered in parallel to the end unit droppers.

Art Deco Station 2 x LED in parallel (not destined for use on current layout)

Eek, I feel I may be destined to have to grovel around attaching individual watch batteries to each component...

Cheers mate,

The only drawback really is also the biggest benefit - the fact that you can cut the strip up into threes is great, but it does mean you're stuck with three blooming bright LEDs, which for a single room in 00 is a LOT! :O

For the station, I think I'm going to have to position them quite carefully, and maybe mask off some of the individual LEDs.

Edited by acg_mr

Guest bri.s

i was thinking have you thought about polyfilla for the platform surface mabe mix it with a little pva im going to do some messing with it for the platforms on Barnsley Central.

Brian

I had a mess with polyfilla and couldn't get it to work right for me I ended up going for das clay .

The videos are great awesome stuff .

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Just been reading up a bit on these.

They should be dimmable so try putting 6 or 8 volts across there.

Ebay US has a 3M strip of cool white, warm white and yellow along with red green and blue for$4.95 edit; $12.80! with free shipping. (within the lower 48)

The company also sell power packs, dimmers and wireless remotes! 

LED-lights

Shaun. Now where's my flexible friend!

Edited by Sasquatch