Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian, that's an interesting idea. I hadn't considered polyfilla - but only 'cos I've got some DAS, but no filler.

I'd be intrigued to know how you get on if you try it.

I've made a video! :O

Whatever next??

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A double post. I was thinking about platform textures, etc. I think you know what you are going to do now, but I've just got back from an artists shop. I the acrylics section they had different "grounds" that produced all sorts of textures that could be useful, including one that would be good as baked mud (well in 7mm scale). The company was called Golden (http://www.goldenpaints.com/artist/drawing_dogs/index.php), but other manufacturers do the same sort of thing. It may be worth having a look in your art shop before you decide your next steps.

Nice video...not sure about the music(!) Try 'The Slow Train' by Flanders and Swann....

Love the pic of the main station canopy with the sunlight n shadows effect. Last pic good too, with some appropriate photo-shopping. :good:

• Like 1

I don't know, I've been away for a few weeks and all hells broken loose. Everyone's squabbling over track and you've become a film director. I do like the video though, very good. Look forward to further installments.

Oh by the way, if you want to redo the ballast and you've used PVA to fix it. Just give it a good soaking with water and it should soften up after about 5 mins and scrape up quite easily. I had to change a set of points on the loft layout and this technique worked well.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Marcus 37
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Is the first picture your layout or the real thing?  No, serious question.

I like the music, mellow but not depressing.

Thanks Chris, the first picture is real, it's taken from the Wikepedia article on Bakewell.

I'm glad you like that music, that's just how I thought of it.

Al

• RMweb Gold

Nice vid. Maybe you could add some narration with a bit of background on the real bakewell and peak line too plus a bit about how you built the station and bridge etc?

Cheers Cav,

I've found a microphone, so I'm going to try a narrated clip tonight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some where around here there is an old American booklet which taught me about the water based method of scenery making.

Basically if you stick to water based products such as acrylic paints, white glue and clay all manor of scenic possibilities open up.

You can mix up all kinds of textured ready coloured  stuff such as earth coloured paint, PVA and fine sand, or use neat PVA as water as per Allan Downs.

If you're not happy with the results, then a quick soak with water as Marcus has said and it all comes loose.

I even thin crafters acrylics with water and air brush my track and trees etc!  

Hi Brian, that's an interesting idea. I hadn't considered polyfilla - but only 'cos I've got some DAS, but no filler.

I'd be intrigued to know how you get on if you try it.

Whatever next??

Nice Video Al, that is a really good idea as its easy to follow.

Cheers,

Andy :sungum:

P.S. are you going to Mansfield tomorrow?

• Like 1

Genius. Any voiceover work in the pipeline!! Oddly it sounds a bit like my voice when I do my station announcer voice which I tried out not so long back as Im planning on recorded platform announcements with suitable echo for Millers Dale. Im looking forward to more in the series!

• RMweb Gold

For reasons beyond my control (family) I have been unavoidably distracted for a couple of weeks and then return to the fold to find an amazing story involving a couple of bits of plastic offcuts being used to create the equivalent of a sheet of etched window frames and a complete station canopy complete with support and bracketing systems.

Al, correct me if I am wrong but right at the beginning of this thread, in post #24, I seem to remember you saying (and I quote)  "as I am a complete novice at scratch building" ......

If you can go from a standing start to a "wiz" in just under 12 months  ...... I wonder where you will go next ........ I bet you have one hell of a stash of Blue Peter badges hidden under the stairs  :O

Brilliant !

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, nice to hear from you again, I hope everything is ok with you.

Thank you, I do seem to have done a fair bit recently, but I'm darn glad to have finished the station, I was getting impatient - although I hope it hasn't suffered too much because of that.

Funnily enough, I've just been putting together a video of how I built the signal box, which included my first ever go at scratch building - the steps.

If you'd told me then, when I did that, that I would be able to produce the station canopies, footbridge etc I'd have laughed in your face.

Nope, no Blue Peter badges. As a youngster I was singularly untalented, and to be honest a bit of a sod... Amazing what a bit of life experience and age can do :)

Cheers mate.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Al

Yes I'm fine, but time out for the Doncaster show, a couple of days up at Shildon for the great goodbye, a daughter's wedding, especially when its around 125 miles away, immediately followed by a three day "near death" experience whilst suffering from the dreaded "man flu" has seriously interrupted my RMWeb thread reading time :no:

Its taken me a couple of hours to catch up with Bakewell, so I know KL2 and the lounge will turn into a marathon

You sure about those badges ???

Chris

• RMweb Gold

So, I'm working through tonight, although "working" means mainly sitting looking at status windows and terminal sessions whilst I try to persuade some servers to behave, so in the true spirit of multitasking, I've also produced another video. Hey, I'm being paid to be awake, no stipulation was made about what else I do :) :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oi Hitchcock, another one of your films is on television today The Lady Vanishes. Really like the videos and narration well done, all the best Adrian

Oi, I'll have you know I'm not as fat as Hitchcock... Yet! :O