Unusual diesel workings

Back in the days of Summer time Merrymaker day excursions, some of the pick up points could be local stations not normally served by longer distance services.

Quite often you could turn up for the normal commuter service, emu or dmu, and find twelve mk1s turning up, replacing the usual local train, as well as heading elsewhere.

If the Cambrian (Barmouth) was the destination, two class 25s made a nice change to get you to work.

There's plenty of photos of them passing through Kensington Olympia in the late 1960/ early 1970s. In fact I think Kenny O might be able to claim that every diesel class has passed through at some point. Not seen a photo of a 26s but one must have got across from the ER before they went north...

Here's a nice photo account of a class 40 trip to Hither Green from Stratford.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95430950@N07/albums/72157637360615626

A 40081 at Hither Green. Now that was rare. Thanks for posting.

Hymek D7060 at Cambridge. 10/4/1965, on a Weymouth FC special of green Mk1 coaches. I've posted my pics on here before but can do so again if requested.

Class 52 (D1008?) also at Cambridge around the same period, came in via the old Bletchley line.

Taurus 0-8-0DH prototype on trial (1961/2?) seen from the school physics lab.

Most classes of DRB also seen at Cambridge diesel depot in the early '60s.

Odd small diesel shunters also seen on the former steam shed.

Baby Deltic on the Cambridge Buffet Express extended to Ely.

Stewart

• Like 1

Portsmouth Harbour to Leeds, 27th April 1984. Note the obligatory 'Windmiller' in the first coach. Engine worked as far as Birmingham New St, where it changed for anything Saltley wanted to lose for a few days.

attachicon.gifCTT_459_33024 (2).jpg

Aye, that'll be it :)

You're right about whatever Saltley wanted to lose, most eclectic I had was 31 + 25 multi working New Street to Rotherham (Masbro'), though you'll tell me next it didn't call there, in which case substitute Sheffield. :senile:

Edited by leopardml2341

Just a few of the unusual workings that I know of whilst I worked on BR, and a few worked by fellow drivers include, Hymek to Healey Mills on banana traffic from Barry, as well a Warrington on the same traffic, along with the odd Warship to Garston in the early years. Class 50 on the Waterston-Albion tanks from Hereford via Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton, return via Bescot then as outward. Class 26 to Hereford for the 1991 open day, which worked down under its own power, Carlisle driver, Crewe conductor from Crewe to Hereford, photo here, https://flic.kr/p/CRPXqB  Found an excuse to shunt with it the week it was at Hereford. Class 73 to Hereford for the 1993 Open day. Also found an excuse to shunt with that as one of the Hereford drivers was ex SR and knew them. Class 14's up to Craven Arms at least on engineering work during 1969-70, after they had been withdrawn supposedly, photo here https://flic.kr/p/6GDP5v     .After the 1991 open day we put together a railtour from Hereford to Carlisle & return in October 1991 with 50008+50015 Hereford to Crewe, 26007+26043 Crewe to Carlisle via Blackburn and the S&C. with 37010 Carlisle to Hereford.. Also as well as 40081 to Hither Green also saw 45's in Kings Cross during problems on the MML in 1981, see here https://flic.kr/p/id5ryW    ,   https://flic.kr/p/id4Sr2

post-7146-0-99533000-1481131705_thumb.jpg

26007+26043 at Blackburn station on the Wye Knot. 12th October 1991.

Paul J.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Every now and then enthusiasts 'luck in' on a really rare working and this was one of them. Travelling down from Birmingham I heard that a 47 had failed at Banbury on an earlier Paddington bound train, and that 40 004 had replaced the failed loco. WR, wanting to get rid of the LMR visitor as soon as possible, let it work back from Paddington on 1M13 the 11:50 to Birmingham New Street which I picked up from Reading. Pretty much the entire first coach was taken up with enthusiasts, and it looked like a railtour with every window having someone leaning out of it all the way to Coventry where I got off. The scene here is at Leamington Spa, by which time the sun had come out.

Class 40 Out of Paddington by D1059, on Flickr

I saw 40 082 pass through Slough on 10 August 1978, presumably on freight, though my notes don't say.

And on 5 January 1981 I also saw 73 142, and 45 004 LE with 45 054.

Really interesting stuff.

The class 50 at Kings Cross was - 50020 19th June 1978

Western D1037 Ended up at Brighton for a few days in 1972

OK what about 20s - where is the strangest place they got to?

Those two at reading were a big suprise for me.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

Class 20, not sure of date (late 70's), but a Merrymaker tour, Sheffield district to Gourock (for Dunoon) Class 20 Glasgow to Gourock.

Edit; date believed to be 06/09/75

Edited by leopardml2341

Really interesting stuff.

OK what about 20s - where is the strangest place they got to?

Those two at reading were a big suprise for me.

I know that 20131 and 20128 got about as far as Fishguard  in the early 1990's. D1047 of Shenston Road of this parish was one of the drivers on a two day jaunt for BRT telecommunications division. They didn't stop at the station, but went out onto the pier at Fishguard intending to go as far as the track would go, until they decided the track was too dodgy to continue. The trip also took in the Central Wales line. Photos of the pair at Ferryside on their way to Fishguard here.

https://flic.kr/p/a1P8bi

Paul J.

• Like 2

Surprised 40s weren't more frequent at Eastleigh as there was s working from STJ

Perhaps not qualifying as "unusual" but D200 made a light engine trip onto Eastleigh depot for fuel in September 1987 during the Basingstoke Rail Show.

Probably not seen by many as it was dark at the time and obviously not advertised, we entered the depot via the back roads coming off the Pompey line on the works boundary.

I took a few photos but have not scanned them all yet...the one to hand was taken on arrival at the fuelling road and shows Basingstoke depot's Geoff Beattie who was in charge of the loco for the duration of the weekend, being an ex-Carnforth man he was familiar with 40's and only needed a refresher up north to keep the paperwork in order.

B7_zpspg4zmaur.jpg

• Like 9