Unusual diesel workings

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know the rarest place a 33 got to in BR days? or a 25 for that matter

25200 worked to Harwich Parkstone Quay on May 19th 1984 after a 31 failed at Nuneaton, definitely unusual and certainly surprised the relief driver at Ipswich.

The purchase of a Heljan AC Cars railbus at the recent Doncaster exhibition has reminded me - unusual railbus sights at Cambridge. At the latter depot we had the W&M railbuses allocated from new. The depot must have gained a reutation, as I saw most types there whilst I was at school. I have the records somewhere, but I know for definite the Park Royal type (probably visiting from Bedford), a Wickham (possibly on transfer to Scotland), also possibly AC Cars (again transfer to Scotland? No Bristol/ECW though.

Stewart

Back in the days of Summer time Merrymaker day excursions, some of the pick up points could be local stations not normally served by longer distance services.

In South Wales, during the early 1970s it was not uncommon for 'Mystery Excursions' and 'Blackpool Illuminations Specials' to start at Aberdare, picking up at Mountain Ash (Oxford Street ) before gaining the Merthyr - Cardiff ( former Taff Vale main line ) line at Abercynon where the train could not call at the platform due to the track layout.

The passenger service between Abercynon and Aberdare had been withdrawn some 7-8yrs earlier, so the route was effectively freight only, save for the several excursions each year.

The ECS for such workings could come from as far afield as Malago vale or Maliphant (Swansea) at times.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In South Wales, during the early 1970s it was not uncommon for 'Mystery Excursions' and 'Blackpool Illuminations Specials' to start at Aberdare, picking up at Mountain Ash (Oxford Street ) before gaining the Merthyr - Cardiff ( former Taff Vale main line ) line at Abercynon where the train could not call at the platform due to the track layout.

The passenger service between Abercynon and Aberdare had been withdrawn some 7-8yrs earlier, so the route was effectively freight only, save for the several excursions each year.

The ECS for such workings could come from as far afield as Malago vale or Maliphant (Swansea) at times.

Brian R

The Western Requiem relief and presumably also the main tour took that route in Feb 1977 too - I was on the former, behind D1010, lost count of the number of run rounds as we visited Merthyr and Pontypridd that day too...

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/770213rp.html

Phil

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Western Requiem relief and presumably also the main tour took that route in Feb 1977 too - I was on the former, behind D1010, lost count of the number of run rounds as we visited Merthyr and Pontypridd that day too...

Phil

Phil

Me too - 13/2/77. We visited Treherbert as well as those you mentioned.

The main tour was the following Saturday. D1010 failed somewhere and the tour was worked by 37179 until D1023 arrived to take over.

EDIT - sorry all those details are of course on the SixBellsJunction website.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Me too - 13/2/77. We visited Treherbert as well as those you mentioned.

The main tour was the following Saturday. D1010 failed somewhere and the tour was worked by 37179 until D1023 arrived to take over.

EDIT - sorry all those details are of course on the SixBellsJunction website.

Am sure Mr Derrick of this parish wont object to my using his book cover!

Reckon I am a window hanger in coach 3....

http://www.strathwood.co.uk/ekmps/shops/admin9018/images/seventies-spotting-days-chasing-the-westerns-low-stocks-37-p.jpg

Phil

Boxing Day 1969 found yours truly moping around on Newport High Street, waiting for a train back to the metropolis (Cardiff)....... having been 'stood up' by a young lady.

The station announcer heralded the approach of the Portsmouth Harbour - Cardiff service, and tried to apologise for it being a full 'ninety down'.

Slowly, across the River Usk bridge rolled................. 3H unit No.1104.

Thoughts of a certain maiden from Caldicot ( I later found out, she was NO maiden !)  were lost to oblivion as I clambered aboard the Thumper, the first I had ever seen, and for many years to come, the only one I would see in South Wales.

Brian R

post-1599-0-18728900-1487780394_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

In your ABC extract, one of the 3H units, 1129, has a different, more powerful Dorman engine.

That was a new one on me, so I had a look around and found on

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/hampshire001.html

that it was a short term experiment, 1964-65 according to that site.

Am sure Mr Derrick of this parish wont object to my using his book cover!

Reckon I am a window hanger in coach 3....

http://www.strathwood.co.uk/ekmps/shops/admin9018/images/seventies-spotting-days-chasing-the-westerns-low-stocks-37-p.jpg

Phil

2 Westerns in the Valleys from both tours D1023 Merthyr D1010 Pontypridd Feb 77 I was working both Sundays so in the right place the Ponty shunter Trevor Thomas is standing in the doorway of D1010 on the Up Goods running round. 

Cheers GARETH

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

2 Westerns in the Valleys from both tours D1023 Merthyr D1010 Pontypridd Feb 77 I was working both Sundays so in the right place the Ponty shunter Trevor Thomas is standing in the doorway of D1010 on the Up Goods running round. 

Cheers GARETH

Smashing shot Gareth - reckon I have the duplicate.....

1010 was on cracking form that day despite a burnt out exhaust valve on one engine. Speed was well in to the 90s between Kemble and Swindon on the way home.....happy days

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Phil

I was on that! Here's a couple of snaps; I have no idea where I took them. I have been reliably informed that the top two are at Merthyr Tydfil.

post-7024-0-17311900-1487795515_thumb.jpg

post-7024-0-14967600-1487795535_thumb.jpg

I do know that I took this one at Paddington.

post-7024-0-07230100-1487795707_thumb.jpg

Edited by 96701
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I was on that! Here's a couple of snaps; I have no idea where I took them.

attachicon.gif20150627222422_09_Post.jpg

attachicon.gif20150627222422_10_Post.jpg

attachicon.gif1010 Western_Requiem_20_2_77 .jpg

Glove and Shears pub has to be a clue -  Methyr Tydfill isn't it?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif1010 Western_Requiem_20_2_77 .jpg

Hate to change the subject from Westerns, but is that the loco number in the headcodes panel of that 31/4? I've not seen WR allocated 31s like that before. Not that I would have paid much attention at the time. Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Hate to change the subject from Westerns, but is that the loco number in the headcodes panel of that 31/4? I've not seen WR allocated 31s like that before. Not that I would have paid much attention at the time.

I'm afraid I have no idea. Anyway, back to 1010 at Pontypridd (presumably - going off the photo above). Don't you just love the flares and the groovy hat on the bloke on the loco.

post-7024-0-70162900-1487800883_thumb.jpg

I have no idea where this is. Brian R puts this at Aberdare High Level.

post-7024-0-97691800-1487801018_thumb.jpg

Edited by 96701

I distinctly remember a class 26 running light engine through Wigan on the WCML around 1985 - it was heading south. No idea where it was going, but it caught us all unaware - quite a shock at the time.

I also had 08 'haulage' - on a trip to London in the early '80's, the APT had brought down the wires just north of Nuneaton and we (hauled by a class 87) were following. Stuck for 3-4 hours, an 08 came to the rescue & dragged us into Nuneaton station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I also had 08 'haulage' - on a trip to London in the early '80's, the APT had brought down the wires just north of Nuneaton and we (hauled by a class 87) were following. Stuck for 3-4 hours, an 08 came to the rescue & dragged us into Nuneaton station.

08 haulage was a regular at Preston as the Liverpool-Edinburgh portion was shunted onto the rear of the Manchester-Glasgow, for the combined run to Carstairs.

I would often jump on just for the shunt and then get off again.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Cheers GARETH

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that prior to these two farewell trips, the last time Westerns worked a passenger train into Merthyr was h the Royal Train, following the Aberfan tragedy in October 1966.

Edited by br2975