Unusual diesel workings

• RMweb Gold

Back in the late spring of 1988 when I probably should have been studying for my imminent A levels, I photographed this working heading west towards Hungerford on the Berks & Hants. The loco, 56074 Kellingley Colliery, would not normally have been seen down south on aggregate traffic to and from the Mendip quarries and the first four wagons (and possibly the second half of the train too) are Clyde Cement PBAs which were really out of their normal working area. No date I'm afraid and I don't know the working either. And sorry for the relatively poor quality; it was K64 in the camera and a very gloomy day.

post-17370-0-09110000-1489933739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 3

Back in the late spring of 1988 when I probably should have been studying for my imminent A levels, I photographed this working heading west towards Hungerford on the Berks & Hants. The loco, 56074 Kellingley Colliery, would not normally have been seen down south on aggregate traffic to and from the Mendip quarries and the first four wagons (and possibly the second half of the train too) are Clyde Cement PBAs which were really out of their normal working area. No date I'm afraid and I don't know the working either. And sorry for the relatively poor quality; it was K64 in the camera and a very gloomy day.

56074 was based on Canton (or possibly Bristol), for a while in the late 80's. It came down with another around the same number range. I have got a poor photo of 56074 on Cardiff Canton depot in early 1989.

post-7146-0-20709900-1489951110_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 4

56074 was based on Canton (or possibly Bristol), for a while in the late 80's. It came down with another around the same number range. I have got a poor photo of 56074 on Cardiff Canton depot in early 1989.

attachicon.gifHBR2--024.jpg

Paul J.

IIRC, weren't those ones the first to carry names, Oystermouth etc.?

The Clyde Cement hoppers had their roofs removed and were being used as normal aggregate hoppers and were on another hire as their original use was over!

Mark Saunders

IIRC, weren't those ones the first to carry names, Oystermouth etc.?

Oystermouth was 56040 which was the batch in the number range 56031 to 56057, that came down to Bristol or Cardiff between 1979 and 1985. The Cardiff ones were to work the Iron Ore trains, although I used to get on them as they were used, often in pairs, on the evening Cardiff Pengam-Basford Hall, (for Glasgow), liner train and return working. The other two 56's that came down in 1988 for a few months were 56072 and 56075, although they didn't stay long, although my photo of 56074 showed it stayed until early 1989 at least. Later on into the 1990's Cantons fleet was bolstered by the arrival of 56060, 56073, 56113, 56114, 56115 and 56119, which started to appear on the steel trains to Dee Marsh. The later numbered ones were preferred to the originals as they had better heating systems and you didn't have to have the engine flat out to get the cooker to heat a can of water.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Paul J.

Thanks Paul. Given the name I assumed it was one of those based further north and more likely to be seen on the MGR circuit. I can't recall seeing it any other time even though I was out a lot with the camera in those days.

• 3 weeks later...

Way back,  was it the 60s?   it was a commonplace to see a Met-Cam unit almost anywhere in the more rural bits of East Anglia with a van at the rear, and very occassionally two!.

Not uncommon for DMU's to convey a tail load, it still happened on Tyneside till the late 1970's the Whitley Bay/Tynemouth and Berwick upon Tweed to be formed like this!

Mark Saunders

Not uncommon for DMU's to convey a tail load, it still happened on Tyneside till the late 1970's the Whitley Bay/Tynemouth and Berwick upon Tweed to be formed like this!

Mark Saunders

There's an interesting little story in a book about Firsby junction in Lincolnshire. The DMUs, usually what became class 114 I understand, took over the Skegness-Lincoln working which often had a van attached. The unit had to run round the van on reversal at Firsby, must have looked distinctly odd. Edited by great central

Mark Saunders

The 12xx piccadilly - Buxton was a regular for this into the mid 80s van would be conveying early editions of the manchester evening news usualy one of the bubblecar dmuvans to avoid runround at buxton 

Brush 4 at Folkestone Central.

Bit late but worth a quick comment:

Not all that unusual, although not an everyday occurrence - there were plenty of instances of Brush 4s/47s on excursions to the Kent coast, Merrymakers, SAGA holiday trains etc. That phot shows a 1Zxx headcode as well.

Even by 1980, as a Kent spotter, it was worth spending an hour or two by the line on a Sunday morning "just in case" there was an interesting excursion or two.

Slightly more unusual for it to be at a time of year when steam-heating the coaches was needed.

47s also regularly worked to Dover on ferry freight.

• RMweb Gold

Bit late but worth a quick comment:

Not all that unusual, although not an everyday occurrence - there were plenty of instances of Brush 4s/47s on excursions to the Kent coast, Merrymakers, SAGA holiday trains etc. That phot shows a 1Zxx headcode as well.

Even by 1980, as a Kent spotter, it was worth spending an hour or two by the line on a Sunday morning "just in case" there was an interesting excursion or two.

Slightly more unusual for it to be at a time of year when steam-heating the coaches was needed.

47s also regularly worked to Dover on ferry freight.

It was a Doncaster - Folkestone Merrymaker.

Mike.

Looks like 1584 was a popular choice for excursions to the Southern!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/29573992336/in/photolist-M4mrzA-acVPFt-acVPZP-aEwGCZ-acVPwc-acYBCA-aEwHkF-bzHTNk-5UnQfR-Epcrki-acVPRt

Which is strange as I remember her as a regular on the afternoon Worcester - Malvern schools train

Phil

Regulars were disappointingly common ...............

Often we'd wait all Sunday am on Ingram Road LX FB at Gillingham for the 2-3 "Specials" (no TOPS Gen for us in those days - sometimes a copy that weeks Special Traffic Notice might fall into our sticky hands) and be rewarded with ........... oh no

Not "North Star" again !!!!

Not "City of Truro" again !!!!

Not "Thor" again !!! ..................  although I will admit a sneaking affection for this one

Hmmm - jumpers for goalposts, isn't it ...............

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold