Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

3 indecipherable votes requires an explaination............

Not going to gripe on about Hornbys supply and demand issues any more.

I was exited to see these in stock on Hattons new releases page but on finding that a round trip of about12000 miles is required because Hornby only filled existing pre orders my blood presure went up. I'll be spending my money elsewhere!

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

3 indecipherable votes requires an explaination............

Not going to gripe on about Hornbys supply and demand issues any more.

I was exited to see these in stock on Hattons new releases page but on finding that a round trip of about12000 miles is required because Hornby only filled existing pre orders my blood presure went up. I'll be spending my money elsewhere!

I think Hatton's description is misleading: when they say they've sold all their pre-orders I'm sure it applies to the first batch.  It does mention March 2013. They've now got the second batch and it's available on standard order - it does say "more than 10 in stock".  I'd contact them - or use the "chat now" to ask.

• RMweb Premium

Good idea, I wonder if there's someone still there. 

I,m old school,  the thing I miss most about living over here is being able to walk in to model shops and browse. At least I knew that when I got my purchases home they were in one piece without crushed boxes or at a neighbors house with the kids sticky fingers all over them. Model Rail direct has them too but last time I ordered something from them the postal charges were a rip off and so badly packed that I was lucky the model survived. Its box didn't!

I've never had a problem with Hattons in over 30 years!

• RMweb Premium

Appologies for any misunderstandings or misleadings in posts 828 & 829.

No excuses either!

Shaun.

Edit; Sasquatch is not thinking straight. What with this pending house move opening up the dream garage for the super layout, the modeling budget needs to be put towards 150 yds code 75 and about 30 points and motors!

Edited by Sasquatch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After some months of procrastination (and a promise of Christmas) I took a deep breath and - this morning - ordered R3161 and R3161A. I now seek to tap into Forum reader's experience and advice for a pair of suitable decoders to retrofit. My only experience so far has been with steam outline, where my normal preference has been for TCS. However, I have been well-satisfied with a couple of Digitrax in my BWTs. But whereas I like to run my steam outline at modest speed, I envisage the EMUs in tandem running "Harry Flatters" on the Club Running Oval. The consensus so far seems to be to put the 2 power cars in the middle; is this still valid?

Possibly the most influential factor to pick up the phone has been the neat appearance that captures the Maunsell livery, and Southern's EMU cab shape.

Thanks in advance

PB

After some months of procrastination (and a promise of Christmas) I took a deep breath and - this morning - ordered R3161 and R3161A. I now seek to tap into Forum reader's experience and advice for a pair of suitable decoders to retrofit. My only experience so far has been with steam outline, where my normal preference has been for TCS. However, I have been well-satisfied with a couple of Digitrax in my BWTs. But whereas I like to run my steam outline at modest speed, I envisage the EMUs in tandem running "Harry Flatters" on the Club Running Oval. The consensus so far seems to be to put the 2 power cars in the middle; is this still valid?

Possibly the most influential factor to pick up the phone has been the neat appearance that captures the Maunsell livery, and Southern's EMU cab shape.

Thanks in advance

PB

Hi Peter.

I have run 2 2bils as a consist and had problems with carraige tilting on crossovers when the power bogies were at the outer ends. Changing the setup so they were together in the middle solved the problem without any modification. I've tried a few decoders and have found the Zimo gives me the best slow/smooth running performance.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks in advance

PB

They do indeed look the biz, and the commode handles are fine though not separate. My R3161 was ordered in X form, so no doubt has a Hornby decoder. As R3161AX has yet to appear, I cheered up a Devon model shop on a Saturday afternoon (they looked really pleased!) by buying R3161A and a Bachmann 553 decoder. They both run very slowly and smoothly when asked, but I haven't tried them together, nor at warp-speed. ISTR the trick with multiple working is to turn off any BEMF on one decoder, so all the compensation is done by one unit only. Having BEMF on both produces a compensation tussle!

• RMweb Gold

I have a pair of 2-BILs fitted with Lenz Standard+ decoders and they run beautifully with these.  There's plenty of space for a decoder providing you're not expecting to shoe-horn it into the cab at the end!  On mine the decoders sit on top of the partitions of the first couple of compartments. The tops of these are above the window line but do not reach the ceiling so the decoders fit in the gap and are not visible.  Must have been about the easiest unit to fit decoders to.

Edited by RFS

Ordered about 27/1000hrs GMT Nov from Kernow by phone, delivered 100A1  28/1600hrs GMT Nov. Unpacked and layout mounted by 28/1700hrs. Every nice thing that has been said about these models appears to be justified, and a steam-outline addict has now accepted an EMU.

I hope that Hornby do not rest on their laurels with this.

Many thanks chaps for inputs to the decoder requirement; within reason it would appear that all normal 8pin choices will suffice. Another telephone call tomorrow.

PB

I was having trouble uploading the two pictures (above) and found it impossible to insert text afterwards.

Neither set has yet been decoder fitted, but they run well enough on address "0".

Neither set was supplied with a joining link to make a four coach train. Has anyone else experienced this, or is the link a separate supply item ?

PB

• RMweb Gold

Neither set was supplied with a joining link to make a four coach train. Has anyone else experienced this, or is the link a separate supply item ?

PB

Just use an NEM coupling of your choice.  I use a pair of Kadee 19s.

I,m old school,  the thing I miss most about living over here is being able to walk in to model shops and browse. At least I knew that when I got my purchases home they were in one piece without crushed boxes or at a neighbors house with the kids sticky fingers all over them.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Do you think we'll see a green version with FYE or even better a blue one with FYE?

So what's the difference between the standard BR green and the NRM version? Is it just the running numbers? Or is the NRM version - being the 'as preserved' model - different in some other way?

I do wish Hornby had put lights on these things....then it would be a no-brainer to buy....I would really love to see blue FYE ones next year!

• RMweb Gold

So what's the difference between the standard BR green and the NRM version? Is it just the running numbers? Or is the NRM version - being the 'as preserved' model - different in some other way?

I do wish Hornby had put lights on these things....then it would be a no-brainer to buy....I would really love to see blue FYE ones next year!

Yes, it's the lack of lights that's held me back, as we've become used to lights on multiple units in recent years.

• RMweb Premium

Its worth remembering that being 1930s units lighting was fairly basic. Lots of people forget there were NO tail lights (or red blinds) - an oil lamp had to be hung on tthe back as with steam hauled stock to indicate the end of the train. Equally the only light on the front was the headcode box - no marker lights or anything. This being the case there is an argument that if all you are going to do is provide saloon +cab +headcode box lighting is it worth going to the extra expense of designing it into the model from the off?

• RMweb Premium

I think it has different buffers too?