Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

So what's the difference between the standard BR green and the NRM version? Is it just the running numbers? Or is the NRM version - being the 'as preserved' model - different in some other way?

I do wish Hornby had put lights on these things....then it would be a no-brainer to buy....I would really love to see blue FYE ones next year!

There is no yellow line indicating 1st class on the NRM version.

It is about as good as Bachmann 2 EPB detail wise but lacks internal lighting although it has sprung buffers. It should by noted that the 2 EPB has only internal lighting and white head code lighting (no read tail lighting unlike their MLV.

Train tech are going to do an internal lighting and spark effect pack next year for these.

• RMweb Gold

It should by noted that the 2 EPB has only internal lighting and white head code lighting (no red tail lighting unlike their MLV.

The green 2-EPB has a headcode on the motor coach end (set to 3) and white panels on the trailer.  The blue one has a different headcode in the later font, and the trailer has red blinds, and I believe this applies to blue/grey and NSE versions too but I don't have either of these.

The Kernow Thumper is more advanced: it has white panels on the front and red blinds on the rear but these are directional and swap when the unit changes direction.

The green 2-EPB has a headcode on the motor coach end (set to 3) and white panels on the trailer.  The blue one has a different headcode in the later font, and the trailer has red blinds, and I believe this applies to blue/grey and NSE versions too but I don't have either of these.

The Kernow Thumper is more advanced: it has white panels on the front and red blinds on the rear but these are directional and swap when the unit changes direction.

That,s it! I,m buying the blue/grey NSE one from someone's dump at £69 now!

there isn't on the standard BR green version either. The only difference I've noticed is the absence of "1"s on the first class compartment doors.

Indeed I wanted to 1s but half a bottle of red wine made me type yellow line instead!

BTW I see train tech are doing cheap (battery powered with motion sensor) sound for these next year as well.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help when would the 2-Bil's have received the yellow warning panel.

Hornby reckon they're due around next summer ;)

And how late would you have seen the units with no warning panels at all?

They weren't allowed out after dark - no-one could see them coming ;)

Can anyone help when would the 2-Bil's have received the yellow warning panel. And how late would you have seen the units with no warning panels at all?

Bur seriously - SYP from around 1962 IIRC and plain green extinct around 1966 or possibly a little earlier.

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance, but with the announcement of the two 2BILs in Blue next year, can anyone advise me what the difference is between the standard and "as preserved" version? All the searches I have tried refer to the difference of the green ones...

Many thanks,

Tref.

• RMweb Premium

R3259 would be the preserved NRM unit 2090 in its livery around the time of its withdrawal on 11 September 1971 before it was restored in green.

During that time it was stored at Preston Park for several years with other National Collection stock including the Lord Nelson and Q1 steamers, source: http://www.bloodandcustard.com/BIL001.html see entry for 2090.

R3258 would be another numbered unit, the specific number hasn't been chosen at the time of Hornby's announcements.

Edited by gc4946

• RMweb Premium

2090 was blue at withdrawal and stored at Preston Park as such having been claimed by the NRM.  It was then repainted green FYE for rail tour use with 4Sub 4732 so has never run nor (to my knowledge though I'll sit correct if required) been exhibited in BR blue since then.  As such Hornby's description may be a little misleading.

• RMweb Premium

There's evidence that 2090 was in use whilst preserved in blue:

On 10 September 1977 http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/770910br.html

and images taken on the day:

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p726940309/h6CC7F283#h6cc7f283

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p726940309/h22B8A10C#h22b8a10c

also in Brighton Lower Yard on display for Southern Electric Group on another date:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunnel_one/9576238513/

• Like 1

There's evidence that 2090 was in use whilst preserved in blue:

also in Brighton Lower Yard on display for Southern Electric Group on another date:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunnel_one/9576238513/

Worth noting the point with the missing blade on the right, along with what I surmise is the last remaining section of the Brighton locomotive works to the right of it...

Received my R.3162As today  -  so Father Christmas has some wrapping to do.

Mine too, nice of Hattons to upgrade to next day delivery.

Not given it a good inspection yet but looks very nice and what a nice runner, straight out of the box will crawl along so as you hardly know it's moving with just a slight hum.

. Well, any in service version really should appear in a very faded, powdery blue finish. .

That would be perfect!

Looking at the pictures (and I don't really have an Eye for detail, ssomething I noticed looking) the NRM one has roof mounted horns, the other doesn't... Would this be correct?

• RMweb Premium

Individual units received warning horns as they went through works for C1 overhauls over a period of some years.  Prior to that they had whistles so one or the other should be fitted and with the whistle adjacent to the driver's cab window on the upright corner pillar.  

Plain green units would in general have had whistles.  Blue ones would have horns.  Green syp units represented the changeover and to be accurate one would need a date for conversion of the unit represented.  2090 retained horns so that it could be run on the national network though it is now a static (though moveable) exhibit and I know of no plans for that status to change in the foreseeable future.

• RMweb Premium

Nice pics, thanks for the links. Another green syp unit apparently without horns (i.e. with whistles).

The pic of 2140 is (I hope) mis-dated - 9/71 seems a bit late. One of the Tin HALS at the back of the pic, I think.

Nice pics, thanks for the links. Another green syp unit apparently without horns (i.e. with whistles).

The pic of 2140 is (I hope) mis-dated - 9/71 seems a bit late. One of the Tin HALS at the back of the pic, I think.

According to Blood and Custard 2140 was withdrawn on 09/10/71, so a picture of it and a 'Tin HAL' (four of which survived until Sept 71) in Sept 1971 is possible.