Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone had all the glazing out of one of these and if so, does it come out easily enough to re-use? They're cheap enough to buy for re-paints and mucking about with.

Cheers

Andy

Hi, Andrew F. I followed Colin Parks up-grade on my 2-Bil. The glazing on mine all but dropped out! I think you should find that the glazing, being attached in the way it is will come out really quite easily, unless the Chinese have started to really glue it in! Be sure to use the blunt end of a paint brush to gently push on the glazing, whilst nudging it downwards. This should be sufficient to get the glazing released from the 'holders' along the top of the glazing on the inside of the top of the body.

All the best,

Market65.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I'd known about the BR ones going cheap. I've just got two SR ones today to repaint blue and it seems like it won't be just a simple paint job. I didn't know about the different buffer beams for starters. What other differences are there between the SR and BR (livery aside) and does anyone know where the BR buffers can be obtained?

One of my SR pair actually has the BR oval buffers and beam on the trailer and the SR ones on the driver and that white detail part above the bogie centre is missing. The chassis detail is bent and badly fitted too. Pretty poor for new models.

Andy

The last batch of 2 BILs built, still well and truly in SR days, had the heavier buffers and stronger underframes. So both types of buffers could feature on BR green or BR blue units quite legitimately, depending on the unit numbers you choose.

I could be wrong, but, it looks like Hornby have got their buffer types mixed up.

The last time I looked, the NRM version had the earlier type of clipped oval, slim, rectangular shanked type.

I have just been looking at the pictures on Rails website - the NRM version has air horns whilst t'other unit 2086 retains it's whistle which is (according to the Southern Electric Vol 2/David Brown book p.114) correct. Apparently already painted blue when it received its air horns in June 1971 and then withdrawn a few weeks later, so Hornby have done their research.

I think it looks really good in blue. 2086 on pre-order.

Steve

I have pre-empted the green with yellow ends - both syp and fye. However, I was going to repaint one of my green units into blue fye but Hornby's announcements beat me to it, so the remaining plain green unit will also gain syp in the not too distant future. I renumbered the one with fye to 2147.

One other thing I like about the new blue unit from Hornby (not the NRM one) is that it has the earlier, slender buffers, where all of my existing units have the later heavy style.

6BIL-1_zps6fc0e6ee.jpg

Hornby2BILYellowEndsAdded-5_zps22134c3e.

I also shot a quick video of two of the units in multiple on my layout (this was actually just a test of my new HTC phone's video capabilities, but stringing the three separate clips together turned out reasonably well!).

http://vid98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/jslynn/Rail/Hornby2BILsinMultiple2_zpsb58fa7b8.mp4 (for some reason I can't embed the video as I normally do.)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Blue unit ordered. Unusually for me this is from Rails who emailed me to confirm the VAT-free price as their checkout did't apply it.

Jeff - I would be more than happy for you to add a SYP to my green one sometime and possibly with a custom renumbering as well

I don't think the bogies ever changed but all the shoebeams are incorrect.

Dave

On the original release (green) ones, it was said that Hornby had used the wrong type for the trailing bogie.  They were supposed to be changing this for the blue release and making the new bogie available as a spare.