Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

My latest video featuring a running/shuting session with the model, hopefully this will help out you guys wishing to know how the model handles pointwork...

Following my review of the all new Hornby R3354 ‘Barabel’ 0-4-0 Out Crank Sentinel, here's a short running session, featuring her hard at work, doing what she was designed for, shunting. 
As can see seen she is a performs extremely well, with slow and smooth running, in near silence, and handling the pointwork without hesitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9f8n5esEbE

post-20663-0-79806100-1443083179_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4

Looking at SDJR7F88's footage of Barabel leaving the shed and during shunting would say that she suffers from a tight spot when running slowly at around 1 o' clock.

A bit of time blasting around a circuit may ease the tight spot.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Premium

Looking at SDJR7F88's footage of Barabel leaving the shed and during shunting would say that she suffers from a tight spot when running slowly at around 1 o' clock.

Gordon A

Bristol

I noticed a slight 'stutter' going over the points, more noticable perhaps with the side rods.

Edited by PhilJ W

Gordon A

Bristol

Yes indeed, this was straight after the review and the full loop need a bit of cleaning, so did not get her going around on the full lap as of yet. Though I was amazed as she seemed to stick less and less during the course of this running video.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Popped down to my local model railway emporium, John Dutfields, and was pleased to find they had all the latest Sentinels in stock :) Was after the Wabtec version and got one.

Looks great, works fine, happy going across insulfrogs straight out the box. Will benefit from running in and was loosening up from backwards and forwards on my shunting puzzle. Only issue is a bent front windscreen wiper (wonky Wabtec wiper woes!) as below

gallery_24698_3502_25039.jpg

Looking above, SDJR's is at an angle, as is 1whitemooors, but it looks like mine is also bent. Will leave for now, at some point may try to bend back. Not the end of the world.

Purely cosmetic, but overall it is a fab model for the money. Having looked at all 3 of the current versions this one is the best looking IMHO. Dutfield also had the Bagnall in stock, huge in comparison to the Sentinels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First visit to a model shop for 8 months, Gee Dee Models in Nottingham, following return from Ca. They had all Sentinels at $50-95. Bought the Barabel rod drive version. Its a lovely model, test ran nicely, amazingly short wheelbase. It makes me want one in 7mm scale....Judith Edge do a kit apparently.

I dont model 4mm anymore, havent done for years...but sorting through items in our loft which stayed in UK reveals enough materials for a shunting microlayout, with track from my son's old layout and buildings etc from my 009 years, Even 2 baseboards with combined length of 68". This could get tempting. Our container due to arrive Monday, including among much else the Gaugemaster controllers. With Hornby also promising a Peckett W class I see possibilities.

Dava

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My EM Gauge Society Newsletter today included a 'how to' sheet on regauging the outside crank version.  Looks easy enough, and one EM Sentinel looks a bit lost on its own.................

• Like 1

Barabel shunter been worked at steelwork? At round oak steel terminal?

Yes, although she was fitted with different bonnet doors, and the side sheets were removed. The present livery is a pastiche of liveries previously carried. An all-over yellow livery, with wasp stripes, would be correct for Round Oak. 

Paul A. 

Barabel shunter been worked at steelwork? At round oak steel terminal?

I am look for correct shunter for haul steel wagon at steel work

Thank you

What wrong with everyone? I need more information about barabel shunter been worked in steel or foundry work but I has seen NVR have small information is not enough to me

Hornby R3354 barabel shunter has sold out in uk but few left in somewhere in uk and will get more stock later in two or three weeks depend Hornby warehouse have left stock but I don't know and I brought today

Thank you

Yes, although she was fitted with different bonnet doors, and the side sheets were removed. The present livery is a pastiche of liveries previously carried. An all-over yellow livery, with wasp stripes, would be correct for Round Oak. 

Paul A.

Thank you Paul A

I may paint yellow but I need correct yellow of ref for my new shunter

Thank you Paul A

I may paint yellow but I need correct yellow of ref for my new shunter

8090725840_77ab9d7b19_b.jpg

There you go. That's Barabel for certain, the coupling pocket for the buckeye coupling is clearly visible, as is the fading yellow livery it received while at Round Oak. 

Paul A. 

8090725840_77ab9d7b19_b.jpg

There you go. That's Barabel for certain, the coupling pocket for the buckeye coupling is clearly visible, as is the fading yellow livery it received while at Round Oak. 

Paul A.

Thank you and I try paint the body and cab and no need paint chassis because chassis have wasp strip and which name and ref number by correct yellow to I may paint myself

• RMweb Premium

Which raises the obvious question of why the Heljan 05 shunter costs nearly twice as much!

Ah well as it's so expensive they won't sell as many, so the price has to be higher to cover the development costs.

Seriously, I think the real question is why the Sentinel is so cheap - not that I'm complaining...