Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Just picked up DH16 in MSC blue - I walked into the shop minutes after the delivery arrived, so saved them a phone call. Just running it in now, and a review has been filmed.

Once the Peckett turns up, that's two locomotives for Grove street yard which means that the ones I have been using can be returned to the display cabinet.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No pics as yet, but now the proud owner of the of both the MSC and Crossley Evans Sentinels :-)

Seems a bit quiet on here of late, is that because everyone has had enough sentinels or is the forthcoming Peckett considered more exciting?

• Like 2

A short shunting session, featuring two of Hornby's superb Sentinel, including R3179 - ESSO 'Cattewater' 4wDM Sentinel and R3354 - ‘Barabel’ 4wDH Out Crank Sentinel. 
In this video we see the pair doing what they were designed for, shunting and arranging various goods wagons.
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UTyYIMCfqA

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A review of the latest 40 Ton Outer Crank Sentinel from Hornby, in eye catching 'Crossley Evans Ltd', Light Blue and Yellow Livery with Blue and Yellow Wasp Strips.
This locomotive is one of 4 types of Diesel Shunters constructed by the Sentinel Wagon Works in 1963, in partnership with Rolls Royce. This version is the 40 Ton Outer Crank design, fitted with an eight-cylinder engine, which produced 325 bhp. These versatile machines saw service with all manner of industries, including collieries, Steel Works, Dock Yards and even the MOD. And many member of the class are now preserved. 
This model depicts Sentinel S10118. Original used at Kellingley colliery, the loco is now owned by Crossley Evans Ltd, is currently used at their eight acre waste management and recycling facility in Shipley.
Hornby have done an superb job in capturing the prototype in model form. Featuring a high level of detail, die-cast frames for added weight, plus smooth and powerful running straight from the box, including over point work, this mode really is a must! 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQpkants-w

• Like 4

Published on 26 Oct 2016

Following my review of the new Hornby R3483 - 40Ton Outer Crank Sentinel, in eye-catching 'Crossley and Evans Ltd' Light Blue and Yellow Livery, here's a quick running session featuring the Sentinel doing what she was built for, shunting.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling point-work with ease, even at slow speeds. 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu56XtgjQtU

post-20663-0-32747100-1477502942_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Finally gave in and bought one of the MSC ones at the weekend at the Thornbury show. A quick run on P4 yard showed it is a good runner so have already invalidated the warranty and worked out some improvements:

- Filling the join around the footplate (only just noticed the RT model etches but too late now)

- Fitting the bufferbeam blanking plates permanently and filing the join

- Laserglaze the cab

- Touch up paintwork and some personalisation

Is there any other mods anybody would recommend please?

• Like 2

Judith Edge do the Sentinel swords and cab-side motifs, and I'd recommend putting some lead shot under the loco (behind the buffer beams is where I put mine), to improve running and traction. The roof on the MSC loco is also wrong, as the vents shouldn't be there - easy to sort with a file and some wet and dry paper. Also worth checking the marker lights, as most had red one side and white the other. The MSC loco as preserved has at least one marker light blanked off. 

You'll find the fill plate in the buffer beam won't line up exactly if you use the NEM pockets to locate it, better to trim this off and position it by hand. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

Judith Edge do the Sentinel swords and cab-side motifs, and I'd recommend putting some lead shot under the loco (behind the buffer beams is where I put mine), to improve running and traction. The roof on the MSC loco is also wrong, as the vents shouldn't be there - easy to sort with a file and some wet and dry paper. Also worth checking the marker lights, as most had red one side and white the other. The MSC loco as preserved has at least one marker light blanked off. 

You'll find the fill plate in the buffer beam won't line up exactly if you use the NEM pockets to locate it, better to trim this off and position it by hand. 

Paul A. 

Thanks Paul, I had already done as you suggested with the buffer beam fill plates, I thought it was a defect on my one but clearly not. Good shout on the lead as I thought the loco seemed a tad light.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally gave in and bought one of the MSC ones at the weekend at the Thornbury show. A quick run on P4 yard showed it is a good runner so have already invalidated the warranty and worked out some improvements:

- Filling the join around the footplate (only just noticed the RT model etches but too late now)

- Fitting the bufferbeam blanking plates permanently and filing the join

- Laserglaze the cab

- Touch up paintwork and some personalisation

Blimey that didn't take long! As long as she's working fine, I'm not worried... ;)

• Like 1

• Gut the cab interior.
  • Drill out the lifting eyes.

Thanks for sharing the photo Andy, will add the above to the list.

Blimey that didn't take long! As long as she's working fine, I'm not worried... ;)

Ha ha, yes it is all running fine Dan even if it is in bits..

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting for a cheap MSC one to come from Hattons for repainting to Bass No. 7 or 12.  I think the Huntley and Palmers Peckett will join it in Bass livery too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

2 new Sentinels this year.

R3576  No19 in Green (Chain Drive)

&

R3577  Graham in Red (Rod Drive)

Owen

Hmmm the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company 'Graham' might just proved to be too tempting for one obvious reason and the fact that I am in Oxfordshire as I type...

• Like 1

I filled and sanded the seam between the side skirt and footplate on mine as unfortunately there was quite a gap. 

DSC02454_zpsa600b4ee.jpg

Bring on the rod-drive version ASAP!

Paul A. 

Well, my Oxfordshire Ironstone Sentinel Betty is now finished. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_12_2015/post-5089-0-97704200-1450039750.jpg

post-5089-0-97704200-1450039750.jpg

Paul A. 

Wow.

I wonder where Hornby get their livery ideas from. Imitation if the sincerest form of flattery, so I hear...

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 5

I got a MSC one yesterday (because it was nearly free at Hattons) and while running it in I've noticed it's got a wiggle which would be appropriate for my Peckett, but I can't see how to justify it for a chain driven diesel.  It also randomly stops.  I see the solutions mentioned above in the thread (bending pickups etc), but am I likely to solve the issues by running, or by dismantling to re-livery, or do I need to return it for a replacement?

I got a MSC one yesterday (because it was nearly free at Hattons) and while running it in I've noticed it's got a wiggle which would be appropriate for my Peckett, but I can't see how to justify it for a chain driven diesel.  It also randomly stops.  I see the solutions mentioned above in the thread (bending pickups etc), but am I likely to solve the issues by running, or by dismantling to re-livery, or do I need to return it for a replacement?

Amazing price currently from Hattons. One of my original NCB versions had a 'wiggle' but my 3 others are all wiggle -free. The wiggle was due to a wheel being not square on the axle. Hornby spares dept supplied a replacement pair of wheelsets which are very easy to replace on the non-cranked versions but cost  £16!  A bit steep when the whole loco is only £40! My only version which has not needed pickup tweaking is the Balfour Beattie.

If it were you I'd return it for replacement. If you're not happy with it now you probably never will be.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing price currently from Hattons. One of my original NCB versions had a 'wiggle' but my 3 others are all wiggle -free. The wiggle was due to a wheel being not square on the axle. Hornby spares dept supplied a replacement pair of wheelsets which are very easy to replace on the non-cranked versions but cost  £16!  A bit steep when the whole loco is only £40! My only version which has not needed pickup tweaking is the Balfour Beattie.

If it were you I'd return it for replacement. If you're not happy with it now you probably never will be.

I did that, the new one came and it's smooth and silky.  As usual with Hattons, it's almost a better experience when things go wrong than just buying things that work straightaway.