Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

A quick trawl through the NASA website implies most items of space junk have been allocated numbers. Should i apply for a number before launching my damn Sentinal into space or let them do it once it's gained a stable orbit? I guess i need to fit it with a stay alive chip to aleve my frustration with the stuttering beast but is there one suitable? 

• RMweb Premium

A quick trawl through the NASA website implies most items of space junk have been allocated numbers. Should i apply for a number before launching my damn Sentinal into space or let them do it once it's gained a stable orbit? I guess i need to fit it with a stay alive chip to aleve my frustration with the stuttering beast but is there one suitable? 

Hmm. Taking  a fairly optimistic cost of $5000/kg to low earth orbit, and 186g (including packaging?) for a Sentinel from the Hattons web site, you're looking at nearly $1000 (~£650) to get it into orbit.

I think the stay alive chip would be a bit cheaper.

And you'd feel bad if your Sentinel was responsible for taking out a weather satellite (a fleck of paint made a fair sized hole into a shuttle winscreen - imagine what 186g of Sentinel could do...)

• RMweb Premium

I don't envisage any launch costs with the amount of energy I will impart to it if it carries on in it's present form.

Well "mine" (actually my son's) has never gone very well.

I blamed dirty track, but cleaning the track didn't make much difference. Then it stopped running at all.

Of course when I took it back to the shop for them to have a look, it ran perfectly on their test track. 

And was then happy for a while when I got it home. Then it got jerky and then stopped running again.

I presume something is loose inside and the trip to the shop moved something. But it was a bit embarrassing. I really do need to find the time to sort it out though.

I suppose I could give it a shake.

Very nice little engine apart from that though. Looks nice sitting in a siding.

• RMweb Premium

I totally agree. I have seen it run ok through my home made point work but through Peco stuff is where the problem starts. 

If I could get mine to go along plain track it would be a start.

When it *was* running, it seemed to cope with points (mostly Peco Streamline insulfrog*, some Hornby) fairly well.

* I prefer "electrofrog" but insulfrog points are a lot easier to come by second hand...

Try smoothing all your Peco points buy running a small flat swiss file through all the flange ways and joints  and also flatten down the top with a some fine wet and dry glued to a flat piece of wood or in my case some hefty brass brass stock .It smoooooooths all out .Its amazing the difference it makes as the standard point is a mass of little tiny ways to put a loco off the juice .

Edited by alfsboy

• RMweb Premium

Try smoothing all your Peco points buy running a small flat swiss file through all the flange ways and joints  and also flatten down the top with a some fine wet and dry glued to a flat piece of wood or in my case some hefty brass brass stock .It smoooooooths all out .Its amazing the difference it makes as the standard point is a mass of little tiny ways to put a loco off the juice .

I presume that this comes after making sure all your points are completely level...

• RMweb Premium

I was assuming the points were already down.if not I also swipe the bottom flat on a sheet of wet and dry.

Useful.

I just had visions of somebody suffering poor running over points because their baseboard wasn't flat trying to sort it out with wet and dry on the rails when they have a more fundamental problem which needs addressing first...

Useful.

I just had visions of somebody suffering poor running over points because their baseboard wasn't flat trying to sort it out with wet and dry on the rails when they have a more fundamental problem which needs addressing first...

It sure happens .I visited a superb US  H0 table top style  layout with fantastic scenery and buildings  but the trains didnt so much run as leap  from section to section in a vain hope of reaching another tiny spot of 12Volts  to carry it on its way  .To make matters worse it had the worst budgie grit ballast job I have ever seen .Even worse he worked in model train shop so had access to all manner of correct material .

Barabel has arrived yay.

Another nice Sentinel from Hornby with a new chassis to represent the wider footplate, shorter wheelbase and different buffer beams of the of the side rod version. All present and correct and no damage. Stuttered little bit at low speed the first couple of laps but then settled down to be able to do a nice crawl with those lovely coupling rods swinging round, after half an hour the haulage capacity has improved.

Nice to have an industrial livery which is easy to place in any location without a major identity change, just add etched name plates if necessary although I'll have to lose those wasp stripes down the side.

Img_2620_zps3scevxtl.jpg

Img_2621_zps6awklswn.jpg

• Like 15

How many of you have received, or bought, the new version of the Sentinel, Barabel? Got mine the other day and ran it on the rollers for a while to bed in. LIke the original version, it has impressive slow running and the rods add a visual aspect as well. I've got a chip on order for her and will hardwire it in as my other Sentinel. Then she'll go to work on my little shunting layout.