Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

I have a motorised Knightwing 0-6-0 version. Its a none-runner at the moment as the plastic outside cranks are split, resulting in the (etched) crank rods going out of alignment. Looking at the illustrations it looks as if the Hornby cranks can be used. I hope that they will become available as spares with or without wheels and axles.

The advantage of Hornby's chassis.It's fully geared so the rods just go for the ride.

• RMweb Premium

The advantage of Hornby's chassis.It's fully geared so the rods just go for the ride.

Thanks for that, only the centre axle on my 0-6-0 is driven which of course puts a lot of strain on the cranks, not helped by the said wheels not actually being in contact with the track, this was why I purchased it quite cheaply.

Yes tried either end, the chevrons on barabel are not as relaxed as those on the blanking plates, the printed ones on the bufferbeam are quite steep. It looks like they have just rereleased to blanking bits from the earlier esso one.

If they were the esso ones reused then it would be even worse, Barabels stripes point up where as Cattewaters point down.

Edit: really should have checked for autocorrects

Edited by WD0-6-0

Does anybody know what versions of the outside crank version of the sentinel are due to be made? I have talked my other half into buying me one for Christmas and need to know if I should get one now or wait to closer to the date.

Well it's only obvious that for such information you look at the Hornby website - There's a red one named BARABEL and a black one belonging to WABTEC.

Buy now because you'll never know what can happen.

Edited by Rusty.J

Was in a Model shop the other day picking up my "Barabel" and during the discussion 2 had sold the previous day and before I left the next customer also purchased one (That version seems to be selling like hot cakes) and has been said elsewhere as it's not company branded it could effectively be used practically anywhere !

• RMweb Gold

A ring on the doorbell this lunchtime, heralded the arrival of Sentinel Number 2, this one being Barabel.

post-7000-0-10816200-1442411375_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-59395200-1442411393_thumb.jpg

Put together superbly, runs smoothly and slowly and like it's stable-mate also punches above it's weight in the haulage department.

post-7000-0-39710200-1442411418_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-73088300-1442411441_thumb.jpg

I could seriously build a fleet of these little locos... :jester:

• Like 3

A ring on the doorbell this lunchtime, heralded the arrival of Sentinel Number 2, this one being Barabel.

attachicon.gifBarabel_01.jpg

attachicon.gifBarabel_02.jpg

Put together superbly, runs smoothly and slowly and like it's stable-mate also punches above it's weight in the haulage department.

attachicon.gifBarabel_03.jpg

attachicon.gifBarabel_04.jpg

I could seriously build a fleet of these little locos... :jester:

Beware, these little locomotives are quite addictive as before I realised I had acquired four of the chain drive ones!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

betty-L.jpg

The authentic livery of the Oxfordshire Ironstone Sentinels is shown above. There were detail differences between different members of the fleet, including different profile cranks. A total of 5 are preserved. 

Paul A. 

Any suggestions for a paint to match to the body colour Hornby have used, so I can paint over the wasp stripes on the model to re-create the 1960s livery. (I'm a bit colour-blind, so help would be appreciated!)?

Well, my Wabtec livery model arrived via Amazon today.

I took advantage of their "£10 off orders over £50" offer in August. This meant it could be acquired at a healthy £46.50

Firstly, my box was crushed (tut tut, Amazon), but the model was undamaged. Unfortunatley, it suffered from a limp when travelling in reverse, which was remedied by swapping over the connecting rods/cranks from one side to the other - though how this resolved the issue, I haven't a clue. I've added lead shot behind the footsteps and this helps haulage and makes the drive smoother. 

Secondly, the fill-pieces for the buffer beams have the wrong profile/pitch wasp stripes for my variant. As I'm repainting mine, not an issue, but annoying if you're not. 

Luckily, when removing the glazing and body paneling, nothing broke - but they were VERY well secured with adhesive.  The cosmetic coupling hooks were also removed, but could not be salvaged. 

I'm planning on an OIC liveried one (ofcourse!), so if anyone has any original photographs showing the OIC branding in the rear step-well please let me know...

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

• RMweb Gold

Any suggestions for a paint to match to the body colour Hornby have used, so I can paint over the wasp stripes on the model to re-create the 1960s livery. (I'm a bit colour-blind, so help would be appreciated!)?

Could be worth emailing Hornby, to ask what colour it is.

• Like 1

or maybe not! this has to be the worst item I have ever bought. Out of the box it looks great!!! Tried getting it apart, what a pig. Wires glued into the holes, finally got it chipped and nothing. Had to push it along to get it going which it did for a while. There seems to me a fair amount of side play so I tried to force the wheels as they seems out of gauge. Made it worse, stalls at all the points. If this had been a Christmas gift for a kid, they wouldn't have been very happy. Sorry but just more disappointment from Hornby. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

• RMweb Premium

or maybe not! this has to be the worst item I have ever bought. Out of the box it looks great!!! Tried getting it apart, what a pig. Wires glued into the holes, finally got it chipped and nothing. Had to push it along to get it going which it did for a while. There seems to me a fair amount of side play so I tried to force the wheels as they seems out of gauge. Made it worse, stalls at all the points. If this had been a Christmas gift for a kid, they wouldn't have been very happy. Sorry but just more disappointment from Hornby.

Sorry to hear that mate. Must be a dud as everyone seems to have fantastic runners. Should be easy for Hornby to fix or replace.

• RMweb Premium

I have (almost embarrassed to say) 6 now. One of Each. A couple have been chipped and I haven't had any problems with any of them. They all run smoothly and quietly, even on our club layout which has the old style insulfrog points. The couple I have chipped have come apart and gone back to together with the exception of the Esso liveried one where one of the screws needed the head drilling off and a replacement screw fitting as it had been over tightened from new.

I reckon your just unfortunate, get it swapped by whoever sold it to you.

Owen

• Like 2