Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

Barabel has arrived yay.

Another nice Sentinel from Hornby with a new chassis to represent the wider footplate, shorter wheelbase and different buffer beams of the of the side rod version. All present and correct and no damage. Stuttered little bit at low speed the first couple of laps but then settled down to be able to do a nice crawl with those lovely coupling rods swinging round, after half an hour the haulage capacity has improved.

Nice to have an industrial livery which is easy to place in any location without a major identity change, just add etched name plates if necessary although I'll have to lose those wasp stripes down the side.

Img_2620_zps3scevxtl.jpg

Img_2621_zps6awklswn.jpg

Damn, I succumbed to placing an order for one.

Now where do I find etched plates for industrial diesels?

Wow! It really does look superb indeed! Can't wait to pick my one up! A few quick questions though. Is this classed as the 40 Ton 0-4-0, With the 8 cylinder engine? And two, with is the cylindrical item in front of the cab, left side. If you looking out the cab that is? Compressor or something like that? Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question... :jester:  

Wow! It really does look superb indeed! Can't wait to pick my one up! A few quick questions though. Is this classed as the 40 Ton 0-4-0, With the 8 cylinder engine? And two, with is the cylindrical item in front of the cab, left side. If you looking out the cab that is? Compressor or something like that? Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question... :jester:  

Yes it is the 40 ton with the C8 SFL 325 BHP engine. The cylinder in front of the cab is the engine air filter intake.

The wheels on the new one look a tad bigger in your photo, or is it just the camera angle?

John  

Yes they are. Hornby have replicated the 3' 6" wheels of the rod version as opposed to 3' 2" of the chain drive. In fact they have done a excellent job with the differences between these models.

• Like 3

Hey,

Please try to avoid duplicating a topic. A lovely long topic on the Hornby Sentinel already exists. Would be lovely if you could just post there itself?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65710-Hornby-sentinel-at-last/

They're equal in page length so it doesn't really matter.

Back on topic, I'd really rather like one, if I'd realised the rod version was coming when I bought the original I'd have waited but I'm really pleased with the one I already have. Just gotta do more saving I guess.

I think I'd repaint the side wasp stripes black and rename but keep the maroon unlike my chain drove which got a full repaint

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes they are. Hornby have replicated the 3' 6" wheels of the rod version as opposed to 3' 2" of the chain drive. In fact they have done a excellent job with the differences between these models.

I was impressed when the first Sentinels came out at how low the price was considering that work that must have gone into it, and the fact that Hornby must have been a bit unsure how well it would sell. (I don't think it was exactly at the top of most people's wish lists).

I'm even more impressed that they went to the effort of a new chassis for such a small different in wheelbase, which can only be seen if you put the two chassis together.

Perhaps someone at Hornby really likes Sentinels?

• Like 1

Hey,

Please try to avoid duplicating a topic. A lovely long topic on the Hornby Sentinel already exists. Would be lovely if you could just post there itself?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65710-Hornby-sentinel-at-last/

They're equal in page length so it doesn't really matter.

Back on topic, I'd really rather like one, if I'd realised the rod version was coming when I bought the original I'd have waited but I'm really pleased with the one I already have. Just gotta do more saving I guess.

I think I'd repaint the side wasp stripes black and rename but keep the maroon unlike my chain drove which got a full repaint

They are equal in length, because it's the same topic.

With the release of the Rod Driven Version, the title has been updated to reflect this.

Hope this clears matters up.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

The wheels on the new one look a tad bigger in your photo, or is it just the camera angle?

John  

So there we have it, a tad = 4 inches , or 1mm in OO scale.  :sungum:

I'm off to find my coat.

• Like 2

I've just disected "Barabel" for fitting the chip. Unlike my earlier one, I removed the motor so as to take out the cap. By doing it this way, all the Hornby wiring can be removed. The black wire to the L/H pickup is tight for getting the iron in,but,with care, it can be done. I'm using a 25 watt Antex with a small bit.Another thing I found was that the motor wires had huge lumps of solder holding them on and the metal front motor mount is very close to the brushes,with a risk of shorting. In order to give me more clearance I'm going to slim the mount down tomorrow. DCC chips don't like shorts.  One tip that may be useful when undoing and replacing the tiny screws is to either stroke the screwdriver on the motor can or put a small rare earth magnet on the end of the screwdriver. Either method means that Isaac Newton's law doesn't work. And we all know that small screws like the floor don't we.

Edited by Catweasel

• RMweb Premium

I have a motorised Knightwing 0-6-0 version. Its a none-runner at the moment as the plastic outside cranks are split, resulting in the (etched) crank rods going out of alignment. Looking at the illustrations it looks as if the Hornby cranks can be used. I hope that they will become available as spares with or without wheels and axles.

• RMweb Premium

I have a motorised Knightwing 0-6-0 version. Its a none-runner at the moment as the plastic outside cranks are split, resulting in the (etched) crank rods going out of alignment. Looking at the illustrations it looks as if the Hornby cranks can be used. I hope that they will become available as spares with or without wheels and axles.

Or you could buy a Judith Edge kit...........

Here's one I prepared earlier

post-408-0-63341500-1442013681_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8