Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

Certainly looks like the bogie wheels are from the B17 bits box. There was something else glaringly wrong with the picture of the model in the display case, above and beyond the bent footplate, and I now see what it is. Can't believe the same firm gave us the Thompson 01 and L1 not so long back.

It remains to be seen if the 12-spoke front wheels fitted to the Hattons/Kernow models were ever fitted to a prototype Star class, but I have never seen them on a GWR 4-6-0, in my limited experience.

A bit too early for me to pass comment as my purchase from Kernows is I think in transit. I recall the admiration I had when Hornby fitted the correct wheels to the B17. I SUPPOSE I could buy and fit new wheels with narrower profile to boot, that would clean up the front end appearance too, and cost less than sending the model back to the retailer.

Would I be in a minority caring about such detail?

I notice there are no cylinder drain pipes factory fitted either, unlike the recent Castles, so maybe the advertisement photos from both retailers are pre-production versions?

Here is another pic of a Star, from www.warwicksirerailways.com

post-7929-0-55250200-1383182258.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

The cab looks reasonable to me.

I notice the Hornby Catalogue photo, used widely in advertising, has silver cylinder ends, cylinder drains, AND 12-spoke front wheels... the Kernow and Hattons' photos show black cylinder ends and no drainpipes.

This is getting EXCITING!

post-7929-0-36653200-1383183979_thumb.jpg

or this slightly sharper version...

post-7929-0-01536800-1383184346.jpg

Kernow's ad., below;

post-7929-0-87475300-1383185672.jpg

yet here is a 2012 Model Rail Facebook pic of pre-production Lode Star R3176 ? and it has 12-spoke wheels and whoops... a curved-up front running plate! Could be lens or angle, or 'sit' of engine? Maybe I am getting too fussy in my dotage.

post-7929-0-72651200-1383186674.jpg

I think I will accept whatever Hornby serve up and enjoy it.... and photo-edit it if necessary!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is all shaping up to be a disaaaaaster daaaaahling, first the heavy tanks now the even more eagerly awaited 'Star',I hope for Hornby's sake that the footplate curvature is nothing more than an individual glitch. Wrong bogie wheels? Again I hope Hornby can show examples with 12spoked wheels, but even so then they would have to adjust for the locos with 10 spoked wheels. I know it is not the end of the world but many more mistakes like this could result in the end of consumers patience, having locos delayed is tolerable but when they eventually pitch up with glaring mistakes it is hard to swallow. I am so glad I no longer pre- order anything Hornby it's just too much of a gamble.

• RMweb Gold

Can't believe the same firm gave us the Thompson 01 and L1 not so long back.

I've got to watch what I say here but I can as it seems to me that Hornby spend more time getting things right on Eastern projects.

The last three Western engines and I've have bought them all ,have glaring errors or assembly problems on all of them that my confidence in buying anything Western is falling rapidly.For a model costing £150 to have the wrong bogie wheels when the prototype is still available ,smacks of incompetence to me.

• RMweb Premium

Some of this may be down to the minions in the factory where we used to have precision and attention to detail to ensure what was produced was exactly the customer (i.e. Hornby) specified, these days there seems to be a lot of 'well that's looks close enough, it'll do and they will never notice the difference' kind of attitude which results in alleged errors such as those highlighted here,

Of course Hornby really need to have someone on site in the factory to check the minions are not cutting corners or applying slapdash and bodge into the production line, never going to happen of course but someone (not just in model railway manufacturing) really needs to start kicking proverbial backsides in India/China/Wherever to ensure they make what they are contracted to.  By the time the container lands in the UK shoreline its often way too late to do anything about it without incurring considerable extra cost and further delays.

• RMweb Gold

One other point-a small one,perhaps-but significant to me,as I remember both the Stars and Saints of the late 40's and ealy 50's,does Lode Star come with a set of etched brass/metal plates ? Western D1000 came from Steam with them...and most of the bits fitted.

If not,that means a small further outlay on the purchase of a set.I simply could not live with the ghastly print I see on 4018.It simply ISN'T a GWR...or even BR(W) loco without proper plates. Oh for the sight of burnished brass !

,smacks of incompetence to me.

Smacks of economies of scale using the parts bin combined with 'who is counting/they will never notice'. Quick fix here, not that you should have to, but buy them quick- -only two left

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-X6157-FRONT-BOGIE-ASSEMBLY-FOR-CASTLE-CLASS-LOCO-NEW-SPARES-/331044616917?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d13cbfad5

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

The Hornby catalogue images (post 366) also show 12 spoke wheels, so they are not just an assembly fault! If Lode Star comes with them, assuming it is 'as preserved' this is wrong, since she now has 10 spoke wheels.

As for the footplate erors in the pre-productoin models, doubtless that was put down to poor assembly - we have all learned not to jump on pre-production models... But clearly we need to as these errors indicate an ability for them to crop up in the finished item.

Apologies for the slight digression, but that pic on Goring Troughs has got me wondering. If the water in the trough was typically 1.5" above rail level, why didn't the ATC shoe, which was only 1" above rail level in its lowest position, dig into the water? Was there an ATC shoe 'lift-up' before entering a trough?

Note the Brit has just stormed through that distant signal at about 50mph. IIRC, the down Dragon was mid-morning? Or is that the up Dragon on the up slow line, perhaps slowing to cross over to the main?

I've got to watch what I say here but I can as it seems to me that Hornby spend more time getting things right on Eastern projects.

I think it just comes down to pot luck here....and not because I'm an Eastern modeller.

If the B1, L1, B17 and O1 had appeared now, and the GWR locos 2-3 years ago, I think you would see a role reversal in the quality and moulded issues.

If I was a GWR modeller, I certainly would be very disappointed at the list of faults and issues the Star appears to be showing.

Edited by 2750

The GWR used a 3'0" 10-spoke and 3 '2" 10-spoke bogie wheel. Darlington on the LNER were somewhat unique in continuing with their penchant for 12-spokes. Seeing as Hornby only produces a characature wheel that is neither one railway company nor another, the best option is to replace these anyway. It is one of those details that makes all the difference to the character and appearance of a loco.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I've see them all in person (pre-production) but as I'm still waiting for mine from Steam and they obviously haven't changed from pre-production including the above comments looks like it will be going straight back in the post for a refund.

For 145 quid (Steams version) I expect a premium quality model just like Bachmann did for NRM and the superb COT, not some moulded handrail, twisted front-end, wrong wheeled, silver paint applied like it's done by a 3 year old triang toy.

• RMweb Gold

I believe that Andy Y is in contact with Geoff Davies at Steam,Swindon.Lets see what he has to say on 4003 because I'll bet he's as disappointed as the rest of us with this.

Hi   Glad to see that Hornby have improved the slide bars, the narrow link joining the bars is an improvement over the Castle.

Roger.

Even in the gathering darkness....a chink of light appears <cough>

I was thinking of purchasing the Steam ltd version but in view of the backwards manufacturing ethic of Hornby ,I'll just stick to my pre-ordered meat and two veg version which is more optimistically priced.

This is the last Hornby pre-order from me......bring back the Grange standards please!

• RMweb Gold

They don't seem to have any problems doing the Eastern prototypes like the P2.

Maybe; but we haven't seen the final result yet, just a hand-finished EP sample. 

Saw a 72xx earlier and it seemed to be straight where it mattered but I'm still managing to resist temptation........

John

For 145 quid (Steams version) I expect a premium quality model just like Bachmann did for NRM and the superb COT, not some moulded handrail, twisted front-end, wrong wheeled, silver paint applied like it's done by a 3 year old triang toy.

I cannot argue with this. Discussing Hornby's cavalier attitude (I cannot see it as anything else), brings to mind a mere thirteen years ago when this company started to produce locos comparable to Bachmanns and in some cases better. Hornby's current back-sliding only adds to my admiration for Bachmann, which continues to suprise and go from strength to strength.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I believe that Andy Y is in contact with Geoff Davies at Steam,Swindon.Lets see what he has to say on 4003 because I'll bet he's as disappointed as the rest of us with this.

I'm glad someone has been pro-active on the matter of 4003,because things have become ominously quiet since the first reported delivery yesterday.I hope this is not an omen of unwelcome news.Like everyone else,I want this one to be right.Only when I receive the blessing of a positive review from this forum will I be prepared to pay the premium for it

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Hornby will consider a recall, or supplying the correct wheel sets free of charge? They are on the edge of a precipice here, if the Star fails what next for Hornby? It really beggars belief that such simple design faults can get through. Like others have pointed out £145 for what is not a lot better than a railroad loco makes Hornby look frankly ridiculous compared with Bachmann.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure the Hattons Star Class GWR 4018 pics are production versions.

Hopefully they won't mind if their pics are reproduced here, if only to re-assure me that the running plates are straight! The cylinders might need a slight tweak...

attachicon.gifstar_hattons_Image4ab.jpg

attachicon.gifstar_hattons_Image3.jpg

attachicon.gifstar_hattons_Image2.jpg

edit sharper 1st pic.

I think it looks pretty good? :dontknow: