Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

The narrow firebox reigned on 90% of UK locomotives and they werent duds. Forced out of its timewarp of inward thinking, the GW was having to alter basic superheating, draughting and chimney design. In fact the company's first new 4-6-0 design for years in the shape of the postwar 'County' was hardly a credit to them, or any railway, by that late date. The company had simply failed to keep up with changing conditions, a failing of so much of British industry.

But by gum, their injuns weren't 'alf beautiful....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kernow actually messaged me today and said that they had 150 in stock and all sold out in 3 days. Now they have a further 68 ordered as back-up.

150? and 68?

Surely they are huge numbers for any retailer to have?

Model Railways Direct told me they had received just six! No wonder mine on order since early in the year didn't come!

Maybe incorrectly, I always viewed Kernow as a relatively small shop with a healthy mail order business!

I wonder what the really big boys have had?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I was interested in the Limited Edition from Steam and have been checking their website but that still shows the same comments as in late September. Let's see if that nice Mr Kohler and his masters will have anything at WycRail this weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Kernow actually messaged me today and said that they had 150 in stock and all sold out in 3 days.

I wonder how many of those were sold as a direct result of seeing them being available via this thread.

Is that Lode Star?

A prayer for you Bishop:

Blessed be the Lode above and all the Stars in the firmament,

blessed be the Saints, large tenders as a supplement.

Bless all the Birds, Dukes and Dogged crosses

trusting Hornby don't cut our losses.

As you pan near and far across the prairie,

We eagerly await the Christmas Fairy.

DCC sound chips to the fore,

post Christmas we'll be so terribly poor!

• Like 3

Indeed it is Lode Star, the brake fittings are the easiest to fit that I have come across. Just off to put it on the rolling road.  Pictures tomorrow.  Modelfair have also delivered my Knight of Grand Cross, but I have to collect from PO tomorrow, I was out collecting Lode Star when it arrived.

• Like 2

150? and 68?

Model Railways Direct told me they had received just six! No wonder mine on order since early in the year didn't come!

Maybe incorrectly, I always viewed Kernow as a relatively small shop with a healthy mail order business!

Keith

A healthy mail order business might indicate a large stock room.

150? and 68?

I wonder what the really big boys have had?

Keith

I also find that hard to believe. 68 shows on their website also. Maybe it was the volume of pre-orders

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it is Lode Star,

Excellent news Bob.I look forward to receiving mine shortly with a visit to my layouts thread to follow. ;)

Edited by gwrrob

Saw one in the flesh at Monk Bar Model Shop York yesterday.

First impressions were WOW, fantastic model. Then I noticed the cabside handrail and the main cab handrail. The fact they are moulded lumps of plastic stick out even more due to the fine detail elsewhere. And for all those who argue 'tooling technology have moved on', I'm sorry, the cab side handrail is a moulded saussage, no attempt at undercuts from what I could see, or certainly not in the lighting in the shop!

I have commented before about the personal long-term false economics of saving a few quid for a cheaper product, but if Hornby are going down this route can they PLEASE merely leave off this detail, and provide it as seperate parts for the modeller to fit in moulded holes. or even just provide a length of handrail wire for the modeller to bend to shape themselves.

Those who care about such detail will doubtless have the skill, or if they don't can hold off until they have it. To remove the moulded handrails will very likely damage the paint for all but the professional, and require a repaint, which is a huge cost, bit it money or time.

Those who don't care about such detail will doubtless not miss it. By having horrid moulded lumps, you please no one.

Please Hornby leave of detail, or supply it for the modeller to fit (e.g. Vitrains), or even just have 'holes' for the detail for the modeller to scratch build. The same goes for the P2; leave off the cab handrails and provide a lenght of wire and a few knobs in a box for the user to fit.

And then I looked down at 'track level' and didn't like what I saw at the front end (Front end centred to reduce any lense distortion): Looks like the build quality isn't great, certainly not on this one. I can't imagine the Ski Slope featured in Hornby's design!

Sorry if this sounds like another rant, I'd love to love the Star, and the rest of the model looked lovely, but Hornby have made some odd design decisions.

post-4226-0-33082500-1383156113_thumb.jpg

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - the design clever (obviously not) banana footplate strikes again.  This really is ceasing to be funny.  And why has the 'Hall' - judging by the EPs - got wire handrails and they're moulded on the 'Star'?  Increasingly looking as if this bunch aren't really interested in model railways which is a great shame considering what they managed only a few years ago.  Looks like the ghost of Frank Martin is stalking the corridors of Margate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could it be the new manufacturing site they are using can't quite figure out how to do straight. Footplates. That's the big tanks, The Hall from photos seen on here, and now the Star. Also suspect the new site doesn't have large manufacturing capacity which is why we are seeing a drip feed of these models, like the tanks before them

• RMweb Gold

Could it be the new manufacturing site they are using can't quite figure out how to do straight. Footplates. That's the big tanks, The Hall from photos seen on here, and now the Star. Also suspect the new site doesn't have large manufacturing capacity which is why we are seeing a drip feed of these models, like the tanks before them

They don't seem to have any problems doing the Eastern prototypes like the P2.

Duly imagined.

That'll be a challenge with 'Star' boiler proportions and telephoto effect, especially if the front of the running plate is bent! But I'm sure I will come up with something nice.

To be honest, the apparent running plate bend in the photo above is unacceptable.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I sincerely hope that 'Steam's' Lode Star fulfils the expectations that those of you who have ordered one have of it.Steam needs the cash it generates,heaven only knows.Hopefully,the model will not demonstrate the baleful distortions seen in the above image. None of us needs an expensive disappointment.....least of all 'Steam'

I must say that I had been contemplating an order,because it does appear to be a far more attractive offering than 4018 recently viewed on Hattons website....I have seen the pre-prod.samples anyway...and I am far from convinced by that.It will be interesting when members receive their long-awaited orders of 4003 to hear their responses.As they say,turkeys are for Christmas.If it's positive,then I'll be more than happy to give my support to Swindon.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

I'm pretty sure the Hattons Star Class GWR 4018 pics are production versions.

Hopefully they won't mind if their pics are reproduced here, if only to re-assure me that the running plates are straight! The cylinders might need a slight tweak...

post-7929-0-85077200-1383174377_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-24454900-1383168136_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-52834000-1383168150.jpg

edit sharper 1st pic.

Edited by robmcg

I hesitate to say this, but are those Star front bogie wheels rather amply-supplied with spokes, a la Gresley B17?

Please tell me Hornby have NOT got this wrong.

Photos of the prototype, without checking many, show 9 or 10-spoke wheels, not 12 as per the model. It is a rather obvious thing to my eye, quite wrong.

post-7929-0-65282900-1383176107.jpg

Edited by robmcg

Hi

Has anyone got any close up photos of the cab had rails, as from the photos it hard to see.

I was looking to get my Dad one for Christmas , but if the had rails are moulded on I think I may give it a miss.

If they have got moulded hand rails , this in my book is a step backwards, going back to the 70,s/80's, such a pity they seem to have lost the passion to do outstanding models.

Darren