Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

If you truly paid in Sovereigns, Rob, you are clearly a man of substance, who has no need of the interest!

Been watching old episodes of Minder with the great George Cole character of Arfur Daley. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Now is the winter of our discontent"?

Perhaps a bit over the top - but literally discordant with a lot of RMweb posts regarding Hornby. (Of course it really means things are getting better, which we haven't seen yet.)

If you have a look at the current 'Where are the Hornby Models?' thread you will see that '87029' has updated the list of expected arrival dates he posted a couple of weeks back, a number of items have 'slipped a bit' (although oddly, and happily, to report all of my outstanding 8 coupled tanks arrived on the originally forecast week although the list now shows them as arriving at a later date!).

... happily, to report all of my outstanding 8 coupled tanks arrived on the originally forecast week although the list now shows them as arriving at a later date!

Yet still not the steadfast northern star appears

and I'm not quite ready to say:

Now is the winter of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this sun of Margate;

And all the clouds that lour'd upon our hobby

In the deep bösom of the ocean buried.

Now are our models run round our layouts;

Our wearied typing declaring victory;

Our stern alarums changed to merry meetings,

Our dreadful rants to delightful measures.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5

For anyone looking for references to "Lode Star" in Shakespeare, should anyone need this due to some bizarre set of circumstances.

There is Sonnet 116,
(Love) is the star to every wandering bark,

Julius Caesar (Act III, Scene I)
CASSIUS: But I am constant as the northern star,

Midsummer Night's Dream (Act I, Scene I)
HELENA: Your eyes are lode-stars; and your tongue's sweet air

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

'Let me not to the management of true deliveries find impediment'....corrupt version of Sonnet 116. By coincidence,we attended a performance at the RSC Swan Theatre yesterday evening.....not WS,however,but an adaptation of Voltaire's 'Candide' ..brilliantly rewritten by Mark Ravenhill....with stunning production ..again ..by RSC & ensemble. Also heard  a performance of Sonnets there a while ago.......I digress,sorry.

'E lucevan le stelle....' ( Puccini )......we hope ( 'La Speranza '.....Turandot. )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi

One should also remember the hymn by Isaac Watts which includes the lines  " He formed the stars, those heavenly flames, He counts their numbers, calls their names ",

and hopefully for the future  " but saints are lovely in his sight".

Roger

Hi

One should also remember the hymn by Isaac Watts which includes the lines  " He formed the stars, those heavenly flames, He counts their numbers, calls their names ",

and hopefully for the future  " but saints are lovely in his sight".

Roger

Excellent.Hopefully to be inclusive of beautiful nameplates ? You wish.....

• RMweb Gold

Hatton advise the DCC fitted GWR version will be in stock 2nd December, I wonder what the next put back date will be on that model !!!!! :O

Thats strange as Simon Kohler told me they were in the country the weekend before last. :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

Hattons advised today Glastonbury Abbey in BR Green due 4th November 2013. I know I should be careful what I wish for, but a week later would suit the credit card better.

You never know your luck!  And you could aways ask them to hang on to it for a week couldn't you - or don't they work like that (probably a rhetorical question but most retailers I've ever encountered are quite happy to wait a week or four, especially if you're a regular customer)?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It now being the time of year when thoughts turn to its seasonal climax of the celebration of The Nativity,I find a confusion crossing my mind when I rehearse on Monday nights for our choirs 'Carols by Candlelight' concerts.....for instance,was it Sidney Carter or George Jackson Churchward who composed 'Every Star Shall Sing A Carol' ?

It now being the time of year when thoughts turn to its seasonal climax of the celebration of The Nativity,I find a confusion crossing my mind when I rehearse on Monday nights for our choirs 'Carols by Candlelight' concerts.....for instance,was it Sidney Carter or George Jackson Churchward who composed 'Every Star Shall Sing A Carol' ?

Spare a thought for Mr. Churchward this Yuletide. December 19th will be the 80th anniversary of his demise underneath No. 4085 "Berkeley Castle".

Edited by Ozexpatriate