Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hatton advise the DCC fitted GWR version will be in stock 2nd December, I wonder what the next put back date will be on that model !!!!! :O

Thats strange as Simon Kohler told me they were in the country the weekend before last. :dontknow:

Own up, Rob!

post-738-0-19612100-1382509512.jpg

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

Hornby aren't the only ones with delayed deliveries.

SWMBO collects coins and recently ordered one (supposedly in stock) from the Royal Mint :  "expected despatch within 3 working days".

Latest update "despatch expected 25/11/2013"! :scratchhead:

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Good news the Star is out. Awaiting the BR one with large tender though. I disposed of all unnecessary reference books when I retired from painting & lining and so have nothing whatsoever on GWR locomotives. And so from memory, I am sure the upper coal panel on the Tender should carry lining in GW days....

Lining on the upper fenders of Churchward 3500g tenders was phased out at some unknown date, possibly c 1930 onwards for some repaints, but they could still be seen with roundel insignia as late as 1939.

I am not sure of the date fender lining ceased. There was no lining at all during WWII and fender lining appears to have been dispended with post war. Pre 1939, photo evidence shows full fender lining on Churchward style 3,500 gallon tenders until 1939.  Truro was repainted in standard express livery and sent to York in 1931 with fender lining.  Certainly the 1934 onwards roundel appears with full fender lining throughout the 1930's and use of the roundel required a repaint. A colour shot exists of 4021 taken in 1939 with roundel and full lining.

With some of the other 'smaller' tenders, such as the collett 3,500, Dean 4,000 gallon. Churchward intermediates,the fender lining is not showing up in some photos but this could be limitation of 1930's photo emulsion.

Mike Wiltshire

I'm of the opinion that tenders probably weren't repainted as often as locos, and the other complicating factor is that locos usually picked up whatever was most suitable after a works visit, the 'pool' of Churchward 3500g tenders being adequate, particularly after the first allocations of the 4000g began (the Kings of course, but mainly to Castles and Halls etc in respect of tender type change), so it's difficult to infer the general 'tender livery' situation from a specific photograph, except that unlined locos ran with unlined tenders, and lined locos ran with tenders with at least some lining on them.

Edited by Miss Prism

Thats good news for those people who want them, it will be intresting to see how quick Hornby can supply the retail outlets, thats if they have enough of them to do so. :sungum:

The Class 67 hit the shelves quickly. Kernow, RoS, Hattons followed Modelfair and Olivias...So the Star might follow soon... Kernow has it already.

Right, I cannot find the official postwar painting schedule I once had but I've now read 'Great Western Way' published by the HMRS. When green paint was revived after WW2 the post-war painting specification was covered in some detail and the 3500 gallon Tenders had their coal plates lined out as before the war. Beading was black.

It is significant that despite the lining out actually being simplified after the war, it did not affect those tenders that usually carried lining on their upper coal plates.

Great Western Way is singularly vague about lining on tenders pre-WWII, but I think there remains a legitimate 1930s question over the lining of the fenders on the Churchward 3500g. For the post-WWII period, notwithstanding the detailed official painting spec*, I'm scratching my head as to whether there were any 3500g Churchward tenders still qualifying for express passenger livery - Roger's upthread observation from Gone With Regret of 4013 at Chester in 1946 with a 3500g with G crest W seems an exceptional case. Does that pic show any lining?

* Given in GWW and on Ian Rathbone's site, but note his tender lining illustration pictures are of Lode Star in early livery style.

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

Model Railways Direct now says "Out of stock" due 31/10/13 for R3166

All others pre-order expected 14/11/2013

I'm sure it originally said pre-order for R3166!

They still quote £107.95.

Keith

They must have listened to you Miss P. ;) Does the water scoop look too low to you ?

Yup. Already noted in the Hall thread. It wasn't possible to comment on that aspect of the Star before because we only had Hornby photoshop versions to go by, and it seems Hornby still hasn't got a camera to photograph its products with. (Thanks, Kernow.)

If the tender in the Kernow pics is flush-riveted (as will be the case I understand for Steam Swindon's Lode Star), what I think is interesting is the change in that tender from design-clever to design-expensive. If however it is snaphead riveted, which is more in line with what the 4018 prototype was post-1934, maybe Hornby has used its Grange/28xx product.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1

This just popped through the electronic letter slot:

This week we are proud to announce the release of the GWR 4-6-0 'Knight of the Grand Cross' 4000 Class locomotive.

Following the link for more information, you can "Add to Basket" at Hornby's online ship.

Here's some photos taken from the Kernow website that has limited amount with more due in the first week in November.119 sheets.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/39474/R3166_Hornby_Star_Class_40XX_Steam_Locomotive_number_4018

Link now shows "In Stock - Usually despatched within 24 hours" Edited by Ozexpatriate