Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I can't see any detail missing from the backhead in that picture - everything there and its proper place as far as I can see from just re-examining the advert.  The smokebox door handle is separate - or at least it is on the sample I saw in Steam some months back and basically this looks to be a pre-'Design Clever' model although we don't know until we see it what Hornby's new manufacturer will make of it of course.

So do we pre-order and pay? Or wait until they arrive to check the quality first? But that risks missing out, due to likely delivery issues.

Sorry I am very cynical about Hornby these days.

So do we pre-order and pay? Or wait until they arrive to check the quality first? But that risks missing out, due to likely delivery issues.

Sorry I am very cynical about Hornby these days.

I have ordered two from Swindon and have no concerns regarding quality. As covered before, the chassis and tender already exist so we know what we are getting. it would cost more to retool compared to any savings to reduce quality and both tender and chassis are recent toolings  - Hornby will want to get thier money's worth! That only leaves the body to consider. Having seen the pre-pro model, I have no concerns. even if Hornby suddenly changed to a 'design clever'  smokebox door dart, ten minutes with a knife and drill with a £2 dart from Eileen's emporium and the problem is solved. Quicker than writing a post on RM web!

And besides -Swindon benefits from the sales

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lode Star now due mid July according to the STEAM website.

Can you post a link. I have just been on the Steam Website and I can only find the previous June prediction

Lode Star Delivery Update

The Museum would like to thank all purchasers of our Hornby GWR 'Lode Star' 4003 for their patience regarding delivery of our latest model. The Museum has received information from Hornby predicting a June delivery date, and we would like to assure all customers that STEAM will do everything in its power to get your model couriered quickly and safely as soon as they arrive at our premises. The pre-production model on display at the Museum confirms this is a model of the highest accuracy and detail and will be worth the wait. Our Apologies once more for the delay.

Geoff Davies, STEAM Retail (May 2013)

Mike Wiltshire

A very nice photo, if expensive of 4018 on ebay.This is what Hornby are releasing soon.Can anyone tell me the location please.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370838196812&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Presumably if those are water troughs between the rails it may well be one of these locations:

post-9751-0-83903500-1371662604.jpg

I couldn't say which one though.

Cracking pic, probably taken between 1936 1934 and 1938, when 4018 seems to have acquired a snaphead riveted tender. The leading flush-windowed Collett has vestiges of its once-white roof, and there are at least five different coach styles in that express.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw one on that nice Mr.Kohler's road show at DEMU yesterday.Very pretty.........but screaming for a set of etched brass plates.

I agree. Challenge I always find is GWR replacement plates always include the backing plate which means attempting to paint match exactly the rtr paint colour and finish or cutting away without distortion.

In my opinion, mIssed opportunity from the cottage industries plates suppliers just to produce the name section only that can be fixed over the plastic and not affect the paint job.

Mike Wiltshire

Further to my post yesterday, I have today cancelled my star order, having seen a display model/sample on Hornby"s stand at DEMU and feeling disapointed at what I saw feel this is the only opption for me. I still think the Grange is the GWR benchmark from Hornby. The Castle is a nice model to, why could't the Star at least come up to the same level. These hand rails are very noticeable and for me not a easy Item to correct without damage to the paint. I would be happy to find the extra cash and have the model spot on, Most of my continental loco's cost above £175.00 and thats without sound, no silly cost cutting  there for the continental market.  

This inconsistancy is a strange way forward, I love my Hawksworth stock and pullman cars equal to any continental item and then we go back to the 42/72xx and now the Star.

In my view Hornby have taken there product down market.

Craig.

This is a worrying development. One wonders if the upcoming GWR Castle release will have 'design clever' principles applied to the existing model - moulded hand rails, smoke-box darts et al. I would be pretty annoyed it that were the case - I'm hanging fire on pre-ordering one as it is, let alone the new tooling Hall... 

• RMweb Gold

Although this is worrying and I have two on order I will reserve comment on them till I see one in the flesh.I like others thought it will/would be as good as the Castle as they already have the chassis.

And if they had been separate handrails, short, very fragile (no cab roof for strength as in the Castle) would we be reading complaints of how they broke as soon as you look at them?

They break on the brass and cast ones Stars I have built so plastic has no chance. Would I cancel an order for a couple of small handrails? I think not.  I want some more Stars and cannot spare the 12 months it will take to make a couple more, My orders stand.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet and the only image I've seen so far of the Star was this on the Model Rail facebook page so it must have had a radical change in production as this looks very nice.

post-126-0-29376500-1373403765_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful picture, I have one on order, must check which chimney and steam pipe combos went with different engines,   yes, I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere!

A bit of judicious weathering around wheels and here and there and it should be even better.

Cheers,

Rob

p.s. and then I will have something to photograph!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Aftermarket chimney already?   I thought it looked a bit large.  Were no Stars ever thus equipped?    To my eye the boiler looked a fraction large or high, but that might be the chimney effect or even the camera effect.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I have in front of me my battered copy of  Ian Allen Combined ABC for 1955. There is a photograph of Princess Margaret ( 4056 ) which would indicate a slightly taller/slimmer chimney than the the one modelled in the excellent image of Lode Star. So........what with the plates and chimney,it appears that ,for GWR afficionados,some further work to be done.

I am still looking forward eagerly to the model being on my layout,however. Its overall shape and graceful lines are right. Stars and Saints were iconic locos of my childhood.....from Swansea High Street to Cardiff General,Pontypool Road and beyond........Why commit NOT to buy.?.....there won't be another one signalled on the down main any time soon.

• Like 3

Further to my post yesterday, I have today cancelled my star order, having seen a display model/sample on Hornby"s stand at DEMU and feeling disapointed at what I saw feel this is the only opption for me. I still think the Grange is the GWR benchmark from Hornby. The Castle is a nice model to, why could't the Star at least come up to the same level. These hand rails are very noticeable and for me not a easy Item to correct without damage to the paint. I would be happy to find the extra cash and have the model spot on, Most of my continental loco's cost above £175.00 and thats without sound, no silly cost cutting  there for the continental market.  

This inconsistancy is a strange way forward, I love my Hawksworth stock and pullman cars equal to any continental item and then we go back to the 42/72xx and now the Star.

In my view Hornby have taken there product down market.

Craig.

Perhaps the issue of price links this to the demise of Model Zone? UK retail outlets have, I believe, much higher costs in taxation, regulation etc. than our continental friends. I also believe that disposable incomes are lower here so manufacturers will offer les for your buck in a very restricted market place.