Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I have in front of me my battered copy of  Ian Allen Combined ABC for 1955. There is a photograph of Princess Margaret ( 4056 ) which would indicate a slightly taller/slimmer chimney than the the one modelled in the excellent image of Lode Star. So........what with the plates and chimney,it appears that ,for GWR afficionados,some further work to be done.

I am still looking forward eagerly to the model being on my layout,however. Its overall shape and graceful lines are right. Stars and Saints were iconic locos of my childhood.....from Swansea High Street to Cardiff General,Pontypool Road and beyond........Why commit NOT to buy.?.....there won't be another one signalled on the down main any time soon.

I quite agree Ian - I have the Swindon one on order because I regard that as supporting Steam in a way that I'm able to (and because it's the preserved 'Star' of course ;) ).  But as my layout planning has taken a swing back towards the North & West, and I'm going to have a bit of flexibility on period modelled, I've also decided that I can explain away justify getting one in finalish condition as well so I've ordered one to that end.  I have no intention of letting rumours - well founded or otherwise - put me off having teh two locos, I have made a commitment to buy them and I will stick to it.

Interestingly there was considerable confusion surrounding these locos when they were first announced as there were intimations of 'design clever' involvement but someone who saw the 4003 sample at a Hornby trade presentation said that it wasn't.  So I do wonder if we are seeing, perhaps, two different standards of production and we are getting 72XX style samples of bits in the wrong mix?  We shall see when they arrive but even if the odd handrail is plastic I doubt most of us will be able to tell the difference from a few feet away

And if they had been separate handrails, short, very fragile (no cab roof for strength as in the Castle) would we be reading complaints of how they broke as soon as you look at them?

They break on the brass and cast ones Stars I have built so plastic has no chance. Would I cancel an order for a couple of small handrails? I think not.  I want some more Stars and cannot spare the 12 months it will take to make a couple more, My orders stand.

Mike Wiltshire

Number of hand rails is 4. I don't have a problem with broken handrails on my Bachmann city, which basically has the same cab.The point I am trying to get at is why have Hornby taken this backward step. My pre order was based on the asumtion this model would follow on from the Castle,Grange,and 28xx, in terms of quality and fidelity.It clearly dosn't come up to the previous items. The Grange is now about 6 years old. I would like to see Hornby build on the quality not turn the clock back after delivering sutch goodies. Finally yes 4 small hand rails matter.

Craig.

Guest 838rapid

i ordered my Star class whilst I was in Swindon.

The model on display at steam has got moulded handrails on the cabside.

I spoke to Kevin at Steam and expressed that I would be disappointed if the Star appears with more retro "Design Clever detail" (What a pointless expression) added,to which he replied he would send the lot back to Hornby if it does.

So fingers crossed we should be fine, Americans use the term "in God we trust" on the back of bank notes,well my money is on Kevin at Steam.. 

Personally I hope they are fine as I used to look at "Lode Star" through the windows at the old Swindon museum.. 

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Dear Mr Kohler, for the umpteenth time, that is not a Star chimney.

Thats not a totally recent photo of the Star so maybe the chimney will correct when released.

4 small hand rails matter.

Your decision and I am not about to tell you how to model. Clearly Hornby's Star does not meet your expectations and you have chosen to go without. Personally I think life is too short to be bothered with such minor issues like this especially, at the price being charged. Even if it were an issue, I would not think twice about altering them - much cheaper than the £250+ and the time factor to kit build one. As mine will require new names and numbers there will be some repainting required anyway. The other alternative is much more expensive

http://www.goldenagemodels.net/GWR-Locomotives-Star-Class-OO-Gauge.html

Mike Wiltshire

My wife would run to the toilet with 'legs crossed' if she saw the cost. Wish I could remember the chimney on 4018 at the weekend,though......Stop it,boy.....neuroticism is for lesser mortals.

Advice for longevity:

1 - Don Kevlar body armour

2 - insert GonaD shield

3 - Place legs inside Stihl chain-saw trousers

4 - Feet into Rigger's Boots

5 - Hands into motorcyclist's gloves

6 - Head into full-face helmet

& - Then whisper "But it is only wahet your last pair of shoes cost dear!"

Gruffalo the whimp - :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

Ah.....a soul mate.....a.Stihl 'freak'. In fact,just considering a cordless pole trimmer to deal with ever -growing hedges & trees.Price looks great ....until you discover that it's extra for the li-on battery AND its charger !! THAT clinches it......far cheaper to invest my cash in a Lode(Star).

Long ago ceased the'shoes' strategy. Imelda Marcos already outgunned.

I have a Stihl petrol hedge trimmer, a Partner petrol chain saw, a Ryobi petrol strimmer and blower/vacuum and still the garden is a mess! :butcher:

If I was buying now, I would go with all Stihl equipment because it is easier to start, better balanced and (where necessary) the edges stay sharper longer. Even with the suggested list of Personal Protective Equipment above, it is unlikely that Madam Gruff will hear my suggestion as to the merits of buying a Star. :scared:  

Does anyone know how Steam Swindon's sales are going? If (many pairs of shoes aside) I am getting one, perhaps support for the museum should outweigh the fact that I would like to rename and renumber to Bath Abbey.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Stihl petrol hedge trimmer, a Partner petrol chain saw, a Ryobi petrol strimmer and blower/vacuum and still the garden is a mess! :butcher:

If I was buying now, I would go with all Stihl equipment because it is easier to start, better balanced and (where necessary) the edges stay sharper longer. Even with the suggested list of Personal Protective Equipment above, it is unlikely that Madam Gruff will hear my suggestion as to the merits of buying a Star. :scared:  

Does anyone know how Steam Swindon's sales are going? If (many pairs of shoes aside) I am getting one, perhaps support for the museum should outweigh the fact that I would like to rename and renumber to Bath Abbey.

Last I heard - which is some time ago - there were still plenty to go round, part of the reason being that they have rather a large number of them coming ;)

Last I heard - which is some time ago - there were still plenty to go round, part of the reason being that they have rather a large number of them coming ;)

Thanks Mike, a Star may eventually be seen rising over my budding baseboards then!

• Like 1

The model of Lode Star shown in #121 is not the same model of Lode Star shown in #141. The former has the correct safety valve and the wrong chimney. The chimney on the latter looks better (difficult to tell from the pic though), but the safety valve is wrong.

[edit: the above was rubbish]

Edited by Miss Prism

The model of Lode Star shown in #121 is not the same model of Lode Star shown in #141. The former has the correct safety valve and the wrong chimney. The chimney on the latter looks better (difficult to tell from the pic though), but the safety valve is wrong.

But #141 is Knight of the Grand Cross, not Lode Star. It is correctly fitted with elbow steam pipes as fitted in 1931 and carries a shirtbutton on the tender. There's a photo of Knight of the Bath in this livery with a short bonnet in RCTS 8, so maybe it is correct

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

But #141 is Knight of the Grand Cross, not Lode Star. It is correctly fitted with elbow steam pipes as fitted in 1931 and carries a shirtbutton on the tender. There's a photo of Knight of the Bath in this livery with a short bonnet in RCTS 8, so maybe it is correct

Nick.

Nick.Are there any other naming options as that model stands.I'm sure we're limited.

Hornby's small-tendered 4018 makes it suitable only for a pre-WWII condition, Rob. Of the 'box cylinder front' locos, most had gone or been converted by your era, the only surviving elbow-fitteds being 4007 and 4014 (4019 and 4020 not being fitted until post-GWR). I think they would have had short safety valves by then. Check dates etc here.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's small-tendered 4018 makes it suitable only for a pre-WWII condition, Rob. Of the 'box cylinder front' locos, most had gone or been converted by your era, the only surviving elbow-fitteds being 4007 and 4014 (4019 and 4020 not being fitted until post-GWR). I think they would have had short safety valves by then. Check dates etc here.

Just as I thought then.Good old Hornby making it easy for us that like to try and model specific locos at a specific time.Hey ho. ;)

As the model stands with shirtbutton on the tender, it looks like 4014 Knight of the Bath could be the only other one. Evening and Royal Stars (4002 and 4008) had been converted to elbow pipes but were withdrawn in 1933 and 1935 respectively and other conversions of Stars and Knights were done between March 1946 and March 1949.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received the following email from Steam:

Lode Star Delivery Update
The Museum would like to thank all purchasers of our Hornby GWR 'Lode Star' 4003 for their extended patience regarding delivery of our latest model. The Museum has received information from Hornby predicting a new delivery date of mid to late August.
We would like to assure all customers that STEAM will do everything in its power to get your model posted quickly and safely as soon as they arrive at our premises. Alternatively you may wish to consider collecting your model at the Museum’s highly acclaimed Swindon Railway Festival on 14 and 15 September sponsored by Hornby Magazine.
Our Apologies once more for the delay and disappointment

Geoff Davies, Jacqui Spence
STEAM Retail (July 2013)