Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Moelfair state a an end of August release. Not to far now.... The Star Class will be followed by the ATW Cl. 67, Cl. 91 Flying Scotsman etc...

Model Railways Direct have just put the delivery date back until the end of October/ into November depending on variant (was due next week!)

Hattons still say on or after Mon 2nd September.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

It's getting like we will never see them. If the factory could have a pre production model ready for the December announcement then why ate they taking so long with the production models? I just wish Hornby would be more open about their problems, as Bachmann is when they have trouble

• RMweb Premium

It's getting like we will never see them. If the factory could have a pre production model ready for the December announcement then why ate they taking so long with the production models? I just wish Hornby would be more open about their problems, as Bachmann is when they have trouble

Bachmann open?  As far as I know there's been no word as to why the Porthole coaches have receded beyond the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

Bachmann open?  As far as I know there's been no word as to why the Porthole coaches have receded beyond the foreseeable future. 

Downer, while I don't want to go off thread, if you check the Bachmann Porthole Coach thread, I posted over a month ago an answer I received from Bachmann customer services about the production delay. Apparently they found tooling problems as they were starting production and tooling modifications are required. The models are put back to 2014 

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are......per Jiminny Cricket

Siorr, just came to mind looking at this discussion.

Edited by autocoach

https://www.facebook.com/officialhornby/posts/10151618254075843?comment_id=27287718&offset=0&total_comments=2&notif_t=feed_comment

I've enquired again with Hornby and as you can see from the link, it's due for a September (end) release.

''I'd rather that Hornby get it right and make sure it's working properly before they release it to us lot." - VERY TRUE INDEED AND HOPE Hornby USES THE TIME IN THE RIGHT WAY

Didn't want to start a new topic, so I'll ask here. Which Hawksworth livery did the Stars receive - G-Crest-W or 'GWR'? Would a re-livery of Hornby's shirtbutton version be pretty straightforward, or are there other period differences between the pre and post war appearances for these locos? 

Thanks

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

The Hawksworth livery for Stars was G coat of arms W. I don't think any ran with 3500g tenders post-WWII, so you'd need to replace the as-supplied shirt-button 3500g tender. (Or re-livery the BR 4056, which comes with a 4000g.) Buffers changed to Collett parallel on some late survivors. Don't forget to check your steam pipe situation - your options for a post-WWII pipe-fitted example in the 4001-20 range are very limited - suggest read this thread to find out why.

• Like 1

The Hawksworth livery for Stars was G coat of arms W. I don't think any ran with 3500g tenders post-WWII, so you'd need to replace the as-supplied shirt-button 3500g tender. (Or re-livery the BR 4056, which comes with a 4000g.) Buffers changed to Collett parallel on some late survivors. Don't forget to check your steam pipe situation - your options for a post-WWII pipe-fitted example in the 4001-20 range are very limited - suggest read this thread to find out why.

Thanks - was going to ask same question. I was going to say a couple of results on ColourRail show 3500g tender post war - but I then realised these are of Lode Star in storage for preservation so don't suppose that counts.

For my layout the couple of Oxford Stars post war GW wouldn't be amiss - Morning Star and The British Monarch. Former had elbow pipes fitted in '46 so my plan is to relivery the BR one as you suggest. (Easier for the Stars as no cabside windows to have to add lining around!) For The British Monach, I have a "Star" bought off Ebay someone converted from an old Hornby Castle, not prefect but passable to me in context of my layout - if I keep it moving, no time to rivet count - and as decoder in the loco, swapping tender is easy. I have toyed with getting Lode Star but notwithstanding the warm feeling in helping STEAM through its purchase, buying something "special" to renumber/name feels a bit like sacrilege(!!!) so am resisting.

Hi.  Gone With Regret, George Behrend 1966, shows 4013 Knight of St Patrick at Chester in 1946 with a 3500g tender, G crest W. Inside steam pipes, square front cylinder cover.

Roger.

Hi.  Gone With Regret, George Behrend 1966, shows 4013 Knight of St Patrick at Chester in 1946 with a 3500g tender, G crest W. Inside steam pipes, square front cylinder cover.

Roger.

By 1950 4013 had been attached to a 4,000 gallon type, though still in Hawksworth G Crest W livery

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8564610870/

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

your asking a lot from Hornby to make sure they have got it right before releasing, judging them by recent releases if it's right or wrong I don't think they will be bothered untill the likes of us stop buying any old tosh they turn out and doubt if they are bothered if the Star can be delivered on time for Steams festival I believe the date for this have moved several time since it was announced.

I would like a model of Lode Star and I hope it turns up on time for them but I will wait to see what it is like before buying if there is any left but it's not the end of the world if they all go then it's plan B a normal one from hopfully the local store and a set of brass plates.

Is that Sept 2013 or Sept 2014?

Rather amusingly (in some ways) there was great concern at Steam early this year that the 'Star' would arrive before D1000, this was followed by even greater concern that they would arrive at the same time and cause major problems in getting them through the packing and posting process at the museum.  The big questionmark in my mind is whether or not they will accept them when finally delivered in view of various stipulations they reputedly made about the specification.

And within a few minutes of that post I received a 'phone call from Kernow about various other things but included was the hint that the Hornby 'Stars' might arrive by the end of the coming week and they might have them at Swindon next weekend

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On a practical note......Etched brass plates set for the forthcoming release,in my view essential.Where to source these,colleagues ? None on Fox website a.t.m. Lady on telephone suggests I ring back later. Your info. on matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Ian.    (Edit).....Sourced on Modelmaster website,just !

Edited by Ian Hargrave