Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

If like me you would like to preserve Hornby's lining on the distance piece,I would recommend using the Modelmaster version and carefully trim around the name only and fix this with adhesive.I've done this on their Castles to great effect.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/53800-br-liveried-castle-class-5049-earl-of-plymouth/

Edited by gwrrob

I notice that Hattons have recently bumped the arrival of the Star to the end of October, the same as Model Railways Direct.

Keith

Just been on eHattons site and GWR version still showing on or after Sept 2nd. BR version now changed to End of October

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby site shows both versions as 'not in stock' - suggesting that even if they've reached Margate they are probably still in the big box, or not far out of it.

They won't be available at the Swindon show this weekend then Mike more's the pity.

• RMweb Gold

I guessed right some days ago what a shame for those expecting to pick up their Lode Star from Swindon at the week-end, my birthday is next week so ordering one is gone out window "Hornby + brewery = sober"!!!

Looks like I will have to console myself with the Steam Dreams trip next week SWMBO :nono:  told  ordered me to book. 

What's have you ordered from Kernow then Mike one of those fantastic Cornish Engine Houses?.

Not the engine house (not ideal for Wales) but a couple of panniers, a weathered maroon D10XX and hopefully my replacement 72XX although I'm still trying to establish if that is on the van  (so I know whether or not to take the one to exchange for it).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In some ways and part of me is glad it hasn't been released yet.I'm yet to work out my renaming options for both of mine.Its a minefield even after reading this thread over and over again. :O Lode Star and Knight of The Grand Cross.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In some ways and part of me is glad it hasn't been released yet.I'm yet to work out my renaming options for both of mine.Its a minefield even after reading this thread over and over again. :O Lode Star and Knight of The Grand Cross.

How about just "it's my layout, mate"?

• RMweb Premium

Just been on eHattons site and GWR version still showing on or after Sept 2nd. BR version now changed to End of October

Mike Wiltshire

The newsletter says of delays to Hornby releases: "their Class 4000 4-6-0 Star locomotive which is now due in late October."

No specific type mentioned

Keith

I spoke to STEAM around 3pm. Whilst the Star had been promised, it hadnt actually materialised. Didnt sound hopefull for their festival tomorrow. They were VERY apologetic. Bet GJ Churchward didnt have the same problem.

didcot

The newsletter says of delays to Hornby releases: "their Class 4000 4-6-0 Star locomotive which is now due in late October."

Late October? So Halloween then? Sounds scary.

Had there been a GWR Star named Antares (alpha Scorpii)* at this point I might have considered that an omen. Curiously, Antares is the "Royal Star" for the autumnal equinox in Zoroastrianism, but Hornby is not making No. 4008 "Royal Star" so perhaps we shouldn't rely too much on ancient Persian astrology. (Probably still more accurate than Hornby's estimates.)

The actual "Star" names (North, Dog, Evening, Lode, Morning, Polar, Red, Rising, Royal and Shooting) are a bit pedestrian and sadly display little in the way of astronomical sensibility.

"North", "Lode" and "Polar" are all the same one (Polaris); "Morning" and "Evening" are Venus, "Dog" is Sirius and "Red" is either Mars or Sirius. They missed lots of a naming opportunities there. Still the Orders of Knights were a good choice.

1st Viscount Churchill GCVO was elected Chairman of the GWR in 1908 sometime after the sudden death of Alfred Baldwin (father of Stanley) on February 13, 1908. Curiously it is March 1908 when new Stars were given names starting with "Knight". This might well be coincidental, but No. 4018 "Knight of the Grand Cross" was built in April 1908. A nod to the new boss (a Knight of the Grand Cross of the Victorian Order) perhaps?

* The brightest star in Scorpius - being the zodiac sign for late October.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

...The actual "Star" names (North, Dog, Evening, Lode, Morning, Polar, Red, Rising, Royal and Shooting) are a bit pedestrian and sadly display little in the way of astronomical sensibility...

Certainly little to do with 'astronomical sensibility', but hardly pedestrian. They were, of course, eleven of the twelve names of the first truly successful class of engines used by the GWR. Of the original names, only Bright Star was not reused in 1906-7, and the original Lode Star was called Load Star. These engines were built by Stephenson's and delivered between November 1937 and November 1841 and, in several cases, lasted until 1871. They played a significant role in the development of GWR locos as Gooch based his design of the Fire Fly type on his experience of the first few engines from Stephenson.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some might say its sacrilege with a L/E but could I use the Steam limited edition 4003 'Lode Star' with no pipes to rename to 4012 'Knight of the thistle' as it stands.Waiting for Hornby to do the correct combination might take forever.

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/star_class_no_4012_knight_of_the_thistle_at_teignmouth_1925/print/8293084.html

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to SK at Steam this afternoon and apparently the 'Star' failed the 'drop test' (seems like history repeating itself) so packaging change/mod/improvement/whatever is in hand, the late October promised date seems to be as much a 'best guesstimate' as anything but I got the impression that it is still planned to airfreight the locos over when they are finally ready.

On a slightly different theme - but appropriate here I think - there were two EPs of the 'Hall' on display and I'm not quite sure which (if either) was the 'better' version as both had separate boiler side handrails and moulded smokebox door handles.  From what I could see the overall shape didn't seem too bad but the chimney looked tall & thin (possibly due to different material being used for it?) and something didn't look quite right about the relationship between the smokebox and the running plate  but that could have been down to the angle from which I was looking at it.  Overall it looked as if it might have potential although it was clearly at a relatively early stage in development (I think).

• Like 1