Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to SK at Steam this afternoon and apparently the 'Star' failed the 'drop test' (seems like history repeating itself) so packaging change/mod/improvement/whatever is in hand, the late October promised date seems to be as much a 'best guesstimate' as anything but I got the impression that it is still planned to airfreight the locos over when they are finally ready.

Yes we've been here before with the 42xx/72xx and their packaging.I guess it was good to get it from the horses mouth though so to speak.

Had a good look at all versions at STEAM. all versions have moulded handrails round the cab. Vertical and horizontal rails. If the actual production run still have these do people still expect to pay £145 (in case of STEAM version) for moulded handrails!!

Stuck out like a sore thumb!

Had a good look at all versions at STEAM. all versions have moulded handrails round the cab. Vertical and horizontal rails. If the actual production run still have these do people still expect to pay £145 (in case of STEAM version) for moulded handrails!!

Yes

MIke Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

If the actual production run still have these do people still expect to pay £145 (in case of STEAM version) for moulded handrails!!

No. I paid extra for a "special edition" model, not a run of the mill "design not-really-clever-at-all" 1970's fidelity model with a different name/number. 

• RMweb Gold

I think Mike [The Stationmaster] alluded to earlier in the thread that Steam themselves are very discerning and being in Swindon I wouldn't expect anything else. ;) So if they aren't happy with them it will probably go back to China.Lets wait and see the finished article before a judgement is made.

• Like 1

I saw them at steam today an I thought they looked fantastic! Although I was surprised to see moulded on detail! A step backwards unfortunately but I will still get one! Thought the valve gear looked a little more chunky around the slide bars they had more depth than the castle I got so think that's a bonus

Cheers Neil

• RMweb Premium

It's also a donation to STEAM, the same as the City of Truro NRM limited edition.

Latest (possible) arrival date is end of Sept.... According to the Hornby post on Facebook......

Nearly misread this as the latest possible date of arrival but could arrive before, probably wistful thinking!

Seriously I will be extremely disappointed if Lode Star is not a premium model with separately fitted hand rails etc. It was never billed as a Railroad model or design clever. In my view it will be a serious miscalculation by Hornby if the Star is built to the same, inferior standards as the 2-8-0/2-8-2 Tanks. While I accept that the Steam Model is at a premium price, the standard models are not much less and, in my view not design clever prices, as DoG and the P2.

The Star was one of the seminal designs of the 20th Century and deserves to be replicated to the highest standards, unsullied by questionable cost cutting production methods. This is the model I wanted to be right. I hope I am not going to be too disappointed when the postman arrives! 

Edited by Unknown Warrior

Spoke to SK at Steam this afternoon and apparently the 'Star' failed the 'drop test' (seems like history repeating itself) so packaging change/mod/improvement/whatever is in hand, the late October promised date seems to be as much a 'best guesstimate' as anything but I got the impression that it is still planned to airfreight the locos over when they are finally ready.

Yes we've been here before with the 42xx/72xx and their packaging.I guess it was good to get it from the horses mouth though so to speak.

The 'drop test' is important.

Even with all the issues on 42xx/72xx my 72xx arrived with a tank vent pipe bouncing inside the box. The packaging has to be very rigorous to withstand the post.

And before anyone extols the virtues of Bachmann here I've had stuff from them (a smokebox door hinge on a City) that came adrift. In both of these cases I believe it was insufficient glue during manufacturing that was the culprit.

Thanks for the confirmation.

This was evident in the picture published on MREmag at the beginning of the year if you look really closely.

We did discuss it already - certainly back in July in this thread. The pre-production model was on display at STEAM then.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Nearly misread this as the latest possible date of arrival but could arrive before, probably wistful thinking!

Seriously I will be extremely disappointed if Lode Star is not a premium model with separately fitted hand rails etc. It was never billed as a Railroad model or design clever. In my view it will be a serious miscalculation by Hornby if the Star is built to the same, inferior standards as the 2-8-0/2-8-2 Tanks. While I accept that the Steam Model is at a premium price, the standard models are not much less and, in my view not design clever prices, as DoG and the P2.

The Star was one of the seminal designs of the 20th Century and deserves to be replicated to the highest standards, unsullied by questionable cost cutting production methods. This is the model I wanted to be right. I hope I am not going to be too disappointed when the postman arrives! 

I'm going to buy one anyway, because it's the only game in town really.

• Like 1

Swindon Steam Ltd Edition delivery date now 'Autumn' on their website

'this limited edition is expected during Autumn* 2013, but at present we do not have an exact delivery date.'

and Hattons showing on or after Oct 21 for all editions

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The sample at Barrow Hill looked OK with the possible exception of the molded hand rail on the cab side. I understand that it could be with us soon.

As I have already posted elsewhwere,it's not the moulded handrails that jar so much as the awful name/numberplates which are going to need instant replacement on delivery. Yes,I did see the samples at Barrow Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Steam Swindon now stating availability "from mid November".

The slow roll continues.

It's like waiting for a (mechanically) delayed flight at the airport while the airline logistics people scramble to find a replacement aircraft so they don't have to cancel the flight.

The gate agents say something like this every half hour or so, "We've just had an update from control and it looks like the flight has been delayed for another 45 minutes." Not so long that you will leave and look for another airline and not so short that you will bug them every ten minutes.

• RMweb Gold

Having been told by Steam that they were possibly expecting it to arrive before D1000 back at the turn of the year I retain the simplistic view that it will be here when it arrives and not before.  Steam are simply putting their best interpretation (with probably a hint of caution?) on what they are being told by Hornby.  Only sort of meaningful piece of past information from SK was that it was originally planned to airfreight the 'Stars' in for the Steam exhibition - looking on the bright side that might now translate as 'airfreight them in time for the Warley show, or maybe for Christmas.  Our hopes might not be forlorn but I still doubt they'll get them here any sooner.

• Like 1

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow,"

"Now is the winter of our discontent"?

Perhaps a bit over the top - but literally discordant with a lot of RMweb posts regarding Hornby. (Of course it really means things are getting better, which we haven't seen yet.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Having been told by Steam that they were possibly expecting it to arrive before D1000 back at the turn of the year I retain the simplistic view that it will be here when it arrives and not before.  Steam are simply putting their best interpretation (with probably a hint of caution?) on what they are being told by Hornby.  Only sort of meaningful piece of past information from SK was that it was originally planned to airfreight the 'Stars' in for the Steam exhibition - looking on the bright side that might now translate as 'airfreight them in time for the Warley show, or maybe for Christmas.  Our hopes might not be forlorn but I still doubt they'll get them here any sooner.

When I paid in January, Geoff Davies told me a February release was imminent so maybe he'll be right after all.Can I claim a years interest on my sovs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I paid in January, Geoff Davies told me a February release was imminent so maybe he'll be right after all.Can I claim a years interest on my sovs.

If you truly paid in Sovereigns, Rob, you are clearly a man of substance, who has no need of the interest!

• Like 1