Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

A quick trawl through the Middleton Press books on Padstow and Bude reveals three units (not all singles) simply displaying 'Special' in upper case, while a multiple unit displays 'Exeter' with 'St Davids' in a smaller font underneath. 

Looking at the BR green whiskers on Hattons site, the lining appears a little coarse. Could someone please post a picture of their own model to let me be a better judge?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

So 'PENARTH' - 'CADOXTON' - 'BRIDGEND' and 'TREHERBERT' look to be non-starters ?

I have a photo by D J Aston (son of Jim Aston) taken at Barry on 16.03.68 of W55026 in BFYE - it is displaying 'PENARTH' on its destination blind.

Some destinations:

22615101505_b960463464_z.jpgW55001_GaraBridge by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

7031895545_1490b054f2_z.jpgW55000_StainesWest by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

4118963599_e983876db1_z.jpg?zz=1122_forWellington by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

21289053243_d9a36ac026_z.jpg122_Starcross_15-7-62 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

2872532050_fdbcee81ab_z.jpg?zz=1W55013_Weymouth_19-2-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

3339571762_8562a93a73_z.jpg?zz=1W55013_YeovilTown by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The green and blue Dapol models seem to have the number at the wrong end on one side. Although the GSYP photos linked above show straight lower lining, there are photos of them in that livery still with the kink in the lining.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In the photos on Hatton's website the typeface for the bodyside car numbers doesn't quite look right. Is this just an optical illusion?

Thanks.

I was reading the Model Rail review of the green one the other day and the one thing that I thought was that the number looked suspiciously to be in post 1968 Rail Alphabet font rather than the correct (Gil Sans?) version.

Spoke to Hattons about my Thunderbird1 picked up today. It was running badly and making chainsaw noises.

Thier rep said they could only refund because of a large number of rejects leaving them very short so thier was not any stocks left.

Dissapointing, but possibly to be expected reading about the pickp problems reported earlier on this thread.

Says 10+ in stock on website

• RMweb Gold

Says 10+ in stock on website

Post seems to now be deleted so I think this may have been more trouble making. Other than a comment about the pick-up type there have been no significant complaints that I have seen.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

The picture [#487] at Starcross is interesting.  12th July 1962 was a Sunday.  On Sundays there were no trains on either the Kingsbridge or Brixham branches so the single power cars used on those branches were available to strengthen other services.  The unit to which they are coupled appears to be a 116.

The picture taken at Gara Bridge is also interesting.  My guess is that it was taken on a Saturday in summer 1962.  During the week one power car was sufficient on this branch but in the previous summer it had been found necessary to augment the single car with an ordinary coach.  A photo of this appeared in Railway Bylines a couple of years ago.

Chris

I have a photo by D J Aston (son of Jim Aston) taken at Barry on 16.03.68 of W55026 in BFYE - it is displaying 'PENARTH' on its destination blind.

Correct - W55026 was a regular on the line, and had both 'PENARTH' and 'CADOXTON' on its blinds.

Bob Masterman also captured it on film several times on the route towards the end.

Brian R

C A R D I F F

(Queen  Street)

C A R D I F F

( General )

CARDIFF

BUTE ROAD

S W A N S E A

( High  Street )

and also

SWANSEA (High St.)

etc

Is how I recall the some of the destination blinds hereabouts.

• Like 1

A number of the destinations look to be unlikely to have ever appeared on a 122 - they were clearly 'main line' intermediate stops. Then, we have Wellington but not the much more evocative Much Wenlock to go with it. We don't have Staines West, and 122s certainly worked the branch and carried the blind. If we are going to have unlikely destinations I see nothing wrong with having the West Country branches even if they weren't on the real thing. I bet more people would put up Kingsbridge, St.Ives (which certainly existed) or Lyme Regis than will put up any one of three different Cheltenham stations which are supplied. One wonders if the 121 decals will include Fairford - I doubt that any 121s ever went there but I photographed it displayed on a 121 at Paddington - on a Rail blue 121, too! To me, the destination blinds are more of a sales tool to put popular names on, rather than seeking to replicate exactly what appeared on the real thing. (CJL)

Very nice Chris. I'm hoping that mine will arrive from Cornwall very soon. In the meantime a couple of questions if I may:

- are the destination blinds stuck on to the outside of the indicators or inside a transparent pane (as they are on the Heljan railbuses?

- in the photos on Hatton's website the typeface for the bodyside car numbers doesn't quite look right. Is this just an optical illusion?

Thanks.

The destination blinds are decals with clear lettering so that they are illuminated from behind. I put mine on the outside of the glazing - not sure you can get to the inside of it. The head code panels unclip and you can certainly mount the head codes on the inside of the glazing. In matching mine to a picture at Much Wenlock with B2 mis-wound as B1/2 I noticed that the font for the head codes is not bold enough, nor are the figures close enough together - on the real blind there's virtually no gap between the base of one figure and the top of the next. A little cutting and fitting is needed to replicate mis-wound numbers. I haven't studied the bodyside font but the Gill Sans does seem to elude some of the Chinese systems. (CJL)

And that is what makes this hobby and life in general so good. I learn something from RMWeb pretty much every day.

Roy

For a moment I'd been imagining a Class 122 in Virgin red and silver..........now wouldn't that look good! (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

A question for the DMU cognoscenti (poshspeak for those that know) .This new model has a personal appeal for me as in the winter of 1965/6 I would catch the Bridgend-Treherbert bubble car for the short distance to & fro Blaenrhondda to change to the Treherbert-Queen Street service (easier& cheaper than the Rhondda bus ). So would it have been 121 or 122 ?

This looks to my eyes to have caught the essence of its prototype. From what I have seen on the Rails website the "whiskers" and the rendition of green look about right in tone,,that is if a 50+ years memory serves me well enough. :senile:

Funny you should mention Lyme Regis, Chris.  I have just been browsing the Rail Photoprints website looking for Hugh Ballantyne's photograph of W55019 at Penarth, which I have in a book but I forget which one.  I found it and, yes, the blind display is the white blank mentioned by Brian above.  I also found pictures of a 122 at Axminster on the Lyme Regis branch.  I do not believe the date of 1961 quoted in the caption.  1965 would be more like it.  The site is well worth a browse but there are a few inaccuracies.

Chris

A question for the DMU cognoscenti (poshspeak for those that know) .This new model has a personal appeal for me as in the winter of 1965/6 I would catch the Bridgend-Treherbert bubble car for the short distance to & fro Blaenrhondda to change to the Treherbert-Queen Street service (easier& cheaper than the Rhondda bus ). So would it have been 121 or 122 ?

More likely 121 than 122 as more of the former than the latter were based at Canton.

Chris

Hello

Steve at Railtec Transfers will do any ones you require. I also put them onto the outside of the destinations boxes. No lights as I turn them off anyway. Ours will feature destinations that no Cl122 ever ran to.

Cheers

George

I've got a blind here, bought at Canton open day yonks ago........I couldn't swear it's from a 122, but there are or seem to be dozens and dozens of destinations S on there.

I assume that each class had its own roller destination Blind?

I always thought they were region specific and generic?