Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

Are the seat backs high enough?  And is red an appropriate colour for them accepting that a generic single-colour moulding has to be used for reasonable economy?

Here's a photo of W55003 from the outside showing how high the seat protrudes above the window:

post-1605-0-49083900-1490546058_thumb.jpg

The seat colours are not to be relied upon as original.

EDIT: so the ones on the model look high enough.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Did Dapol state when these are likely to be in the shops? As stated in previous posts I think these are the pre production models that were on display at Warley last November. At that show I was told they were to be available in March this year, with it now being forecast for April, so I hope they are going to be on time. I have a feeling these are going to be another very popular model and Dapol will see them flying out of the shops like the Class 68.

The talk was of June/July release for these and the GWR railcars - manufacture is currently underway (not sure if that applied to both) so June/July sounds about right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rick

From the Railcar association website

No idea what colour "triangle" style patterned moquette it was

Also worth noting that the compartment bulkhead dividing the non-smoking and smoking compartments was full width on the original  specification, with aluminium luggage racks across and 3 wooden framed windows, as was standard for 'high density' dmus at the time, but that later modifications to allow on board ticket sales by guards saw these replaced with a bulkhead with a slightly off centre door as fitted to the Class 116/7 units (which also recieved gangway connections at this time).  I believe this dates to around 1964, and one would need to research any blue liveried vehicles not modified in this way.  I would doubt if any made through to blue/grey livery in this condition, or with the original moquette upholstery.

If Dapol fail to provide the correct bulkhead for a given livery, it is not a difficult job to replace them; I did it years ago on a Lima 117 converted/cut&shut/bodged into a 116, replacing the more modern central door arrangement with the 3 windows version.  I didn't bother with the luggage racks...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I travelled on these a lot in the late 1980s in Cornwall and the Laira Class 122s, following light refurbishment and asbestos strip at Vic Berry (though they did not do a complete job of removing it apparently) and the seat fabric was a red/blue horizontal stripe.  This seat fabric is as per Chris Higgs photo above, though I seem to recall it was a bit more vivid then, possibly it has faded with time.  The Class 122s where moved west to replace the Class 142s along with a mixed selection of Class 101 and 108s.  The Laira 122s in the late 1980s/early 1990s where, I think 55000, 03, 05, 06, 09 & 12 - all of which are now preserved.  

Also 55012, the Dapol model in Regional Railways colours, retained this fabric colour after repainting into Regional Railways colours, rather than the normal Regional Railways grey with blue dots, see the last few frames of: https://youtu.be/BCfmElmu5fs forconfirmation.  So it is shame that Dapol have given this blue seats!

Also worth noting that the compartment bulkhead dividing the non-smoking and smoking compartments was full width on the original  specification, with aluminium luggage racks across and 3 wooden framed windows, as was standard for 'high density' dmus at the time, but that later modifications to allow on board ticket sales by guards saw these replaced with a bulkhead with a slightly off centre door as fitted to the Class 116/7 units (which also recieved gangway connections at this time).  I believe this dates to around 1964, and one would need to research any blue liveried vehicles not modified in this way.  I would doubt if any made through to blue/grey livery in this condition, or with the original moquette upholstery.

If Dapol fail to provide the correct bulkhead for a given livery, it is not a difficult job to replace them; I did it years ago on a Lima 117 converted/cut&shut/bodged into a 116, replacing the more modern central door arrangement with the 3 windows version.  I didn't bother with the luggage racks...

I rather think that the doors in the partitions were there from new.  The summer 1959 Ian Allan abc of BR diesels gives the seating capacity as 65, which equates to 10 seats per seating bay plus the 5 behind the driver.  Without the doors in the partitions it would have been 68.

Chris

A question; were all Class 122s fitted with two-character headcode panels as built or were some built without? It's evident most had a visible plate over the headcode but when was this carried out? Post '76?

I could not swear as to the date when the 2-digit panels were plated over but all the 122s were built with them.  I wonder if Andy is thinking of the first batch of 116s, which had four marker lights instead of 2-digit panels?

Chris

Have just had a glimpse - just a glimpse - of two early green 122s that were painted after I discussed colours with Joel and Andy and showed them older models that I had painted. Looks like the revised colours are pretty good! (CJL)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

said it before and i'll say it again, SC55013 is an odd choice for a banger blue example - converted in 1971 whilst in green to cl.131 ScR parcels car with extra doors (different places each side)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65775-Dapol-class-121-and-122-in-oo-gauge/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2500310

Yes, a very strange choice especially as the blue version would be ideal for all of those 1970s ScR layouts. I know renumbering is fairly straightforward but surely it would be better if the manufacturer got it right to start with.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, a very strange choice especially as the blue version would be ideal for all of those 1970s ScR layouts. I know renumbering is fairly straightforward but surely it would be better if the manufacturer got it right to start with.

Just in case any manufacturer is stumped for where to seek information then ask here. RMwebbers know everything. Pretty much. 55013 in blue is just a sloppy error from nil research.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Leigh (Dibber 25 on this forum) has advised on the Dapol GWR railcar thread, that he has just completed a review of the 'oo' Dapol 122 for Model Rail, so they will be here soon.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

I think, if I remember correctly, that when something gets a magazine review, that it is just a few weeks from being on the shelves, so not long at all. I'm hoping that all the livery errors have been corrected. Fingers crossed.

Best regards,

Rob.

The first magazine review of the Dapol Class 122 'oo' gauge model has appeared, in the July Hornby magazine, which I picked up today. Overall the reviewer is very positive of the model, which was the Regional Railways livery version. In respect of the livery, the review was favourable regarding the colours, lining and their application. The only slight issue was with the 'Regional Railways' name branding on the bodyside, which they felt was slightly lower than prototype. In terms of underbody detail, it has a full rendition with many separately fitted parts, with drive shafts being modelled. The mechanism is a central motor, with drive to both bogies. This is located below the passenger floor, however the floor is raised to accommodate the mechanism, particularly where the motor is, such that over the motor the seating moulding is limited to part seat backs. There are a number of lighting switch options for DC control, with 3 underbody switches, two of which control the head/tail lamps and the third switch is for the passenger saloon lighting (nice touch). There are also two switches on the blanking plate for the cab lighting and a further two switches on the lighting bar to enable the destination blind lighting to be on or off. Overall a very positive review.

• RMweb Premium

Dapol have shown recently that they are capable of producing beautifully detailed models which capture the look ofthe prototypes extremely well. Looking at pics these railcars follow that path and if they get the colours/livery right and avoid qc niggles I think these will be winners.

I think, if I remember correctly, that when something gets a magazine review, that it is just a few weeks from being on the shelves, so not long at all. I'm hoping that all the livery errors have been corrected. Fingers crossed.

Best regards,

Rob.

Yup, it seems common now for the review samples and main production to leave China at the same time. 

The difference is that the review samples come by air, the rest by sea.

Comparing it to pictures of the real thing, I'd agree that the Regional Railways wording is a bit low, but crucially the colours look ok. Edited by BR(S)