Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

More a case of I haven't been paying attention.  I got an 'Just in stock' email from Rails which said 'Cock of the North' so naturally when I clicked on it I was expecting a P2 and not a 9F!!

Not sure if this was a rhetorical question or even a 'tongue in cheek' quote, however here goes and apologies if I've missed the point. Preserved 9F 92214, is currently named 'Cock O' The North' and was operating on the North Yorks Moors Rly, where the owners are based

The name was suggested by the Company Secretary of PV Premier Ltd, owners of No. 92214. While she somehow thought it appropriate to use a name originally applied to the Chief of the Clan Gordon, she had no idea that it had been used for what the NYMR website describes as a “very similar type of engine”. http://www.nymr.co.uk/2011/04/cock-o-the-north-unveiled/

Dear oh dear ...

Edit: typo.

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Premium

Always under the impression that Cock O' the North was a P2, then an A2/2, same as Wolf of B and Mons Meg...etc???

9F....nonesense!!! Hornby cutting corners again, or is there a real P2 model planned for release???

Have you not seen the pics of the P2 pre-production bodies?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No I haven't. I just noticed this thread in passing, after seeing the 9F's on the Rails site and thought I'd inquire. I take it then,from your comment, that the CoTN model will be a real P2!

Yes it will be. Here's a link to see the pic I mentioned.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151596613580843&id=53107985842&set=pb.53107985842.-2207520000.1378759789.&source=42

Hornby released the 9F as Cock O The North as well because the real loco has recently been renamed such by its owners.

• RMweb Gold

Always under the impression that Cock O' the North was a P2, then an A2/2, same as Wolf of B and Mons Meg...etc???

9F....nonesense!!! Hornby cutting corners again, or is there a real P2 model planned for release???

Not cutting corners, but a model of a real prototype 9f called "Cock of the North"

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/9455/

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

Dear Micklner   [sarcastic mode] It would appear that I stand corrected. It would appear that Hornby are indeed cutting corners and that there is no real prototype 9F called "Cock of the North" so the photographs on the link I gave (and all similar photographs) must all be fake. [/sarcastic mode]

• RMweb Premium

Dear Micklner   [sarcastic mode] It would appear that I stand corrected. It would appear that Hornby are indeed cutting corners and that there is no real prototype 9F called "Cock of the North" so the photographs on the link I gave (and all similar photographs) must all be fake. [/sarcastic mode]

Well, the 9F has the same number of wheels as a P2, however not quite in the right configuration! :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

LOL I know that. :jester:

However I was never under the impression that the 9F was being passed off as a P2.  As far as I am concerned, Hornby have produced a model of the 9F "Cock of the North" and they are also in the process of producing a model of the P2 "Cock of the North"  It is just that two different prototypes have been given the same name and Hornby are producing models of both.

Similarily, Bachmann do a "City of London" 4-4-0 and there is also a Hornby "City of London" 4-6-2.  No confusion between these two models. No accusations of cutting corners.

Defensive rant over :drag:

Hi Jeff,

How could you think of doing such a thing to a locomotive of such beauty and granduer.

Re: City of London name.  Hornby could do a B17/6 streamlined City of London in LNER apple green.  Could use a A4 body cut down and tender.  :no:

Thats enough from me.

Mark

• Like 1

Do you think it would look OK in malachite green with horizontal yellow stripes??   ;)   :D

Whatever turns you on. Mine is definitely getting a Bugatti streamlined front end, BR lined green, 60505 and 9MT on the cab side sheets. Thoughts of a five axle tender to accomodate the mechanical stoker and fifteen ton coal space it really needs are also floating about...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What pray tell is this:

https://railsofsheffield.com/br-2-10-0-class-9f-cock-o-the-north-br-black-2-10-0-locomotive-92214-r3155-JJJA18636.aspx

Looks more like a 9F with Cock of the North nameplates than a P2 or have I missed something?

It is - as parked up in Grosmont shed when I visited on Monday.

John

I have heard a tale that OVSB actually intended the Merchant Navy to be a 2-8-2 but was 'encouraged' to change it to a Pacific.

John  

It's not a tale.  Bulleid did intend to build a 2-8-2 but it was vetoed by the Civil Engineer and the MN was the 2nd best option which the CCE allowed.

Edited by asmay2002

Whatever turns you on. Mine is definitely getting a Bugatti streamlined front end, BR lined green, 60505 and 9MT on the cab side sheets.

If you work through the caluclations the P2 would have come out with a "P" rating very slightly less the than LMS Duchess (about 1350 vs 1378) but significantly higher than the other LNER designs, MN, 71xxx or King.  In the BR system anything that got a score of over 900 rated as an 8P (which is kind of a pity although the real limit with the big locos was the fireman).

8P9F is a lot messier in terms of transfers though :)