Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

I totally agree with you there, I'm not annoyed with Hornby or anyone else specifically because things like factory slots, as has already been mentioned, is beyond their control and I'm happy they are producing the P2 regardless of what level of detail its produced to but that doesn't mean I have to be pleased that its being pushed further and further back. I do find it odd that the ordinary version should come at the same time as the sound version announced a year later? Or am I going to get another email informing me of another delay.

Edited by WD0-6-0

Have patience folks?   I'm sure there is plenty of modelling and other things to do while we are waiting. :drink_mini:

Well, yessssssssssss.......  :-)

When I pre-ordered back in the middle of last year (ok it was August), I decided to redevelop my layout to give the P2 a more fitting home, ease some curves and so on.  With the 01/14 date, I expected its first run would be over bare boards, the 04/14 date made me think ballasted and major structures.  as we gear up to pass 07/14, I expect I'll have a layout thats mostly scenically completed, and I'll be back to getting up the courage to do some loco weathering.....

Then "looks outside", there's the garden. ...

• Like 1

Has it really been seven months since this post?

Since we saw these excellent shots of what really is a very striking model...

post-1-0-94817300-1382775193.jpg

Just can't believe we can see such a complete pre-production/production batch model and not as yet see the actual model in the shops yet.

I've spoken to my regular retailer and to a few others and the general gloom surrounding Hornby is apparent at the moment. Just what is going on in Margate at the moment?

It is not what is gong on at Margate (or Barwell for that matter) but what is not going on in China that is the problem,

• Like 1

It is not what is gong on at Margate (or Barwell for that matter) but what is not going on in China that is the problem,

And this will be the norm for all models announced from here on.

Brit15

• 2 weeks later...

The phrase "sampled them to ensure they are up to scratch" has,I'm afraid ,a hollow ring to it. Recent past experience demonstrates that this is palpably what does not happen,hence the cries of "shock,horror"when the boxes have been opened by some members of this forum or when they have been tested,such as my well documented episode with R3191.....and Hattons admission that the problem was endemic.

I sincerely hope your optimism is well-founded but please don't count your chickens before they are hatched. I want a Cock of The North that works smoothly out of the box that has all its constituent parts in place plus a bag of bits that does contain a proper set of etched plates.(You wish.....) I am relishing the arrival of this model.I do not want a disappointment this time round.....please.

Am I correct in thinking that R3207 main version is pre-sold everywhere, but the basic version R3171 can still be pre-ordered?

If so could someone tell me the differences between the two versions?  RR version at £73 is very reasonable, that's nearer £60 with VAT off., so without wishing another DoG debacle on you Ian , I might just pre-order a RR version, and no doubt I could buy etched plates. 

But if the RR version is seriously less detailed, I don't know... The front steps look good and the running plate valance lining superb in the pics a few messages ago, but I presume that's main-range only?

Rob

here are the only images I could find in a quick search, hope Andy doesn't mind me showing his pre-prod pic from p12 ? in this thread, the main changes for the main range over the RR seem to be similar to the DoG differences, better or at least more paintwork, mostly?

post-7929-0-96493000-1402795979.jpg

post-7929-0-04258100-1402796013.jpg

post-7929-0-16319600-1402796047.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

edit; at £60 from Liverpool I pre-ordered a RR version...  I observe that some photos show a rather deranged cylinder piston rod on the main range presumably pre-prod models....     also I doubt the RR version will come with cylinder drains and steps?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Hmm... it seems Tony Wright's review of the P2 has been removed from the MRL channel. That's a shame, I often liked to watch it, especially the comparison between the P2 and the pacific it was rebuilt into!

Hmm... it seems Tony Wright's review of the P2 has been removed from the MRL channel. That's a shame, I often liked to watch it, especially the comparison between the P2 and the pacific it was rebuilt into!

Yes, noticed that a couple of weeks ago.  Perhaps they've taken the model that Tony Wright reviewed and designed it even more cleverly.  That might explain the delay and we'll find that the Railroad version struggles to pull Annie and Clarabel....  They wouldn't want video that the original concept could cope with scale prototype length trains!

Ha.

I'm just getting itchy waiting for that email from Hattons saying that its been put off until September.

I have one of these on pre-order, and to be fair I am happy to wait and make sure the thing is correct, rather than getting a rushed not quite there version. There are a few thing that leave me a bit puzzled though.

It has been said on here before, but the tooling must be in place to have made the protoype, and I agree with that.

I am invloved with tooling for moulding process, albeit not for this kind of thing, and you simply don't just go changing this little bit or that little bit without incurring more costs to modify the tooling. So, lets assume that is the case, why can't Hornby put a statement out along those lines?

I would have thought we would all be happy with an update if that were the reason. Secondly, again through work, we import some components from China, in actual fact hundreds of thousands of pounds worth. So, you place a scheduled order, the factory give you a lead time and production slot, the shipping company give you a transit time, and we give our customers an availability date.

OK, I am making this sound simple, but you get the idea. I think what i'm saying, is why don't these manufacturers just tell their customers what is happening? Not sure about the rest of you, but I would be more than content to be told by Hornby that the availabilty has been put back to A,B,C, for reasons X,Y,Z.

I just get a bit annoyed with the constant e-mails with changed delivery dates, giving no explanation whatsoever. Now, if Hornby do indeed issue such a statement on these matters, then my apologies to them!

• Like 1

One can only presume that the tooling and is ready, and either a production run 'slot' has to be arranged or the production is already done and assembly, packing and shipment has not been completed.  Either way, no manufacturers these days say much, even when it is supposed to be in a container bound for the UK., because often it isn't, or it gets delayed.

I have no idea why they actually offer arrival dates when they are so often wrong. There is a sense of faint chaos about all deliveries from China these days. 

I purloined Andy's lovely pic of the imposing P2  pre-prod model and with his kind permission here it is outside 'my' shed, in a braw bracht Scottish wind...

I really does look a stunner. 

post-7929-0-71556800-1403047379_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 9

I do like that actually. Food for thought in terms of modelling. The P2 exists in such a very short period of time in reality. Only I think six years total for 2001 and much less for the others before the rebuilding by Thompson. There's no doubt, whatever you may think of Thompson's rebuilding, that we were robbed of one of Britain's most beautiful steam locomotives when Gresley ordered the reconstruction of no.2001 to the Bugatti front end profile. 2001 remains one of my favourite locomotives for the imposing front end more than anything else. 

I do like that actually. Food for thought in terms of modelling. The P2 exists in such a very short period of time in reality. Only I think six years total for 2001 and much less for the others before the rebuilding by Thompson. There's no doubt, whatever you may think of Thompson's rebuilding, that we were robbed of one of Britain's most beautiful steam locomotives when Gresley ordered the reconstruction of no.2001 to the Bugatti front end profile. 2001 remains one of my favourite locomotives for the imposing front end more than anything else. 

Thankyou Simon, I have also taken the liberty of straightening the piston rod on the other excellent picture in this recent part of the thread, and added cylinder drains, and guard irons and a few details around the front, otherwise unchanged except in tone and background hue, and what a fine model this ought to be...   the details changed are minor and I trust the slide bar will be nearer this when in production. Oh, and I aligned the running plate where there is a gap above the front drivers.

post-7929-0-85937300-1402884057_thumb.jpg

edit;  what a pity I cannot buy this lovely model.

edit2; just pre-ordered enhanced version from a trusted web seller Model Railways Direct, looks ok, expected 21 Aug 2014  will not be charged until in stock. Now I can join everyone else who is waiting...  

Edited by robmcg

G'Day Gents

Beautiful loco...................but when are they going to bring it out in BR green !!!!!!!!! :senile:

manna

Someone called Edward Thompson, together with a war, rather prevented that eventuality....  but it was  fine example of 30's steam engineering.  Not as fine as an LMS Garratt, but close...    :)

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps Robmcg could russle up a BR green for us to see what it might have looked like.

(micklner and any others who can't understand this post, see my explanation in post No 701)

Edit to add note to micklner

Edited by Colin_McLeod

just pre-ordered enhanced version from a trusted web seller Model Railways Direct, looks ok, expected 21 Aug 2014  will not be charged until in stock. Now I can join everyone else who is waiting...

21st August? I hope that's not the originally announced super-detail version without the later announced sound features (perhaps you can confirm?), otherwise Hornby's whole approach to delivery dates and honesty now seems to me to STINK. We are told elsewhere that only days ago they "bullishly" announced officially to the model railway press that this model is due in July! If they really mean "end of August" why didn't they say so?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

21st August? I hope that's not the originally announced super-detail version without the later announced sound features (perhaps you can confirm?), otherwise Hornby's whole approach to delivery dates and honesty now seems to me to STINK. We are told elsewhere that only days ago they "bullishly" announced officially to the model railway press that this model is due in July! If they really mean "end of August" why didn't they say so?

IIRC MRD went from "Pre-order" to "Sold out", with an earlier delivery date, but have since gone back to "Pre-order" again and showing 21/08/2014.

Maybe it is a later batch?

Keith

EDIT I ordered long ago, so hope I am in the first tranche.

Edited by melmerby

Perhaps Robmcg could russle up a BR green for us to see what it might have looked like.

Well, if we're going to rewrite history, pretend that Thompson never existed, or that Peppercorn got the top job first time, then we might have had P2s slogging up and down the ECML throughout the war instead of being wasted as a vanity exercise in undoing all things Gresley.  So not just BR Green, but N.E. wartime black and British Railways Express Blue too......

• RMweb Gold

If micklner cared to read this thread before publically admitting that he could not understand my post #696, he would be aware that robmcg is very good at photoshopping pictures of model locomotives.

In post #694 manna said

Beautiful loco...................but when are they going to bring it out in BR green !!!!!!!!! ” 

It seemed to me that Manna’s post was made in jocular fashion, so I replied in similar vein that perhaps robmcg could use his undoubted skills to photoshop a model of the Hornby P2 into BR green livery.

Seems pretty clear to me, and also to gr.king and hroth who’s posts Nos 698 and 700 show that they clearly understood.

Regards

Colin